• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Finally Booked My Canadian Whitetail Hunt

cut rifled

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2006
Fond du Lac, WI
Well we finally found our outfitter and booked our whitetail hunt in Saskatchewan at a place called Caribou Trail Outfitters 2 hours north of Saskatoon. Trip was $4500.00 but with the economy in the tank they did it for $3500 with license and tax included we will be hunting the last season Nov. 30th thru Dec 5th. This will be my first trip to Canada hunting and I am pumped to say the least. Weapon of choice will be a .300 RUM, 17 twist Rock barrel of course, pumping out 130gr. Barnes Triple Shocks at 4100fps.

Re: Finally Booked My Canadian Whitetail Hunt

Very good!

If you happen to be going through Winnipeg at all, let us know. Enjoy your hunt, and bring lots of memory sticks. You're going to have a great time, just ask Dag.

I won't tease you about it though, cause it is only in the end of November, and it's already the end of February. That's what,,, only about 17,364 more sleeps, right?

Hate me yet?

what kind of buck are you holding out for?

that RUM should knock one over!!!

It's all I think about. This has literally been my dream since I started hunting 24 years ago. I have subscribed to Big Buck magazine and watched video after video on Canadian whitetails. 300lbs, heavy beams, and chocolate colored antlers is all I see in my sleep. We will be driving up looks like a 22 hour drive or there abouts. Only 279 Days to go !!!!!

scan0004.jpg

heres a picture of a buck i killed just south of the saskatchewan - montana line. the farther north you go the bigger and heavier they grow! they also have some really big mule deer bucks on that side of the border but thats for saskatchwan residents only. if they ever open that mule deer hunting for non-residents ill be first in line!

good luck and bring lots of warm duds!!!

Very nice that's what I'm looking for. Plenty of wool and a heater body suit will be coming along with me. Luckily I'm from Wisconsin and use to the cold weather.

Paul

Well it's been a damn cold winter here but not much snow so the survival rate for deer this winter should be good.

The deer are big here and a little more than 130 gr for that velocity might serve you well in the forest fringe zones. The shots are typically less than 100 meters.Well under 300 anyway!

Good luck

Guide said 50 to 100yds so I will be taking the .338-06 AI with 200gr bullets along as well.

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cut rifled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guide said 50 to 100yds so I will be taking the .338-06 AI with 200gr bullets along as well.

Paul </div></div>

Thats a good choice. Many hunters get carried away with the latest Uber-magnum and brag about the light bullet that is traveling north of 3600 f.p.s.. Or using lightly constructed bullets not designed to hold together.

The coyotes love hunting season because there is lots of dead and wounded game to provide free meals as soon as the sun sets. The chances of a dead deer not being a meal for a coyote overnight if it's not immediatly retrieved by a hunter is slim and none.

What isn't discussed much on this site is running shots. If you can shoot running game(accuratly of course)it's a big advantage.

Cut your going to have a good time, I found the people in Canada are extremely hospitable and want more than anything for you to have a good time!!!

I had a hunt booked once with Caribou Trails and my father got very ill and had to cancel. They are very nice people.

My hunt this year in Alberta was certainly one to remember. If the economy permits I would love to go back!!

and Phil has got it right. I had an opportunity on a running Whitetail and couldn't get on him quick enough. He was a 170 class deer. Had the scope turned up as I was spotting Mulies at the time, lol

Good luck!!

I will have to agree with Phil also, you might have the opportunity of a lifetime for a Whitetail. Lightweight rockets might not be the ticket. You don't want to waste that opportunity.

I went with 300wsm, 180grain accubonds at 2900fps. It did it's job on 375lb Muley

I would be shooting 130gr Barnes Triple Shocks so I know they will hold together we shot some does through the front shoulders under 50yds and performance was awesome the bullets held together, we never recovered one of them. And the exit holes were the size of a 50 cent piece, but I am rethinking this because of the once in a lifetime deal so I will probably be taking a .338 of some sort.

Paul

.338 for whitetail deer, wow.

If a 300RUM with 130s isnt enough gun for a whitetail, they must wear kevlar or be steel plated.

Wow, a canadian whitetail is still a whitetail, not the Loch Ness monster or something.

Its a whitetail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyreloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.338 for whitetail deer, wow.
</div></div>

I'm here to tell you that 338s work! I've killed many deer (and an Elk) w/338WM and none of them complained. Shoots as flat as a 243 with twice the energy!... Generally makes for easy-to-follow blood trails, too.

Don't give it a second thought, Paul.

Bill

Remember 300lb whitetails not those skinny Kentucky deer
grin.gif

Plus when your spending that kind of money I want to cut him in half I only need from the shoulders forward right
blush.gif
. I'm gonna take both guns I guess it will be a game time decision at this point.

Dead is dead. Don't matter much what caliber is used as long as the game is retrieved and hit are achieved. One nice thing I've heard on Ultra mag is they made cleaning easier
wink.gif
. Good luck with your hunt, I'm green with envy.

Sounds like your on you way on your dream hunt.Best of luck...

Every US dollar is worth $1.28 Canadian.

It's a good time to come up here. Shoot some big deer and drink some real beer.

The largest deer(body size) and the largest scoring (B&C & P&Y) are in Sask. and thats a fact. In addition Sask. just opened up Sunday hunting and this is the first year for that!!

So you could shoot a record buck within a couple hours of arriving!!

Paul good for you on the Canadian Hunt. I have hunted northern Sas. a number of times. One of the hardess things is to just watch those big boys and not pull the trigger on the first few that you see. I've gotten some great video footage over the years. (hint) All of my kills were with a 7mm stw with 160gr. class bullets. The nosler accubonds did a great job. Most shots were within 300 yds. One year I had a monster cross an open field. The wind was gusting and it was snowing. He was right at the 695 to 700 yds and was moving away from me. Ending up not taking the shot and don't really regret it. He was a huge main frame 12. I still see him to this day. That was the only stand I have hunted there that was over a 300 yd. shot. Looks like you will be hunting the last part of the season = cold M.F. Good luck and stay warm.

The deer up here are not that big. Most people just use a 30-06 or smaller. I have hunted with a .270 and .243 usually, and it drops em dead. Each to there own. I guess if I had a big bore I'd wanna kill something with it too. Have fun on your trip. I guess I take it for granted being able to hunt big whitetail every year for a $35 tag.

Guys, as a Canuckian who's heard this 'discussion' more than once, I'll say this.

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE CALIBER, IT'S ABOUT THE SHOT PLACEMENT.

Bring what you're competent with. The job will get done by the brains, not the bore.

Looking forward to seeing ya'll up here.

Sean.

Mulie003.jpg

Guys quit post pictures of all those huge bucks, there should be some left over for the locals!!

HaHa just kidding, there are lots here.

Lots of good fishing in the summer too. There is no place in the world excepting N. Sask. and N. Manitoba where you can go to a lake in the summer and be the only boat on the water for the whole day. Hunt for a whole day and not see another hunter.

There are lakes up north( in line with the N. border of the Prince Albert national park) that you can drive to where you can fish and camp for free. Be the only campers at the lake, and drive to the lake!! Even in Alaska you can't do that.