• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally finished my 3 gun stick. Pics inside.

6.5mmman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Houston
I put the final touches on my 3 gun stick today. Looking for some critiques.

Specs:
S&W VTAC upper. 18" 1 in 7 twist barrel, with VTAC handguard
Young MFG hard chrome BCG and bolt
PRI gas buster charging handle

Mega Billet lower
JP enterprises red spring trigger
Tubbs flat wire heavy buffer spring
Magpul PRS stock
Magpul MIAD grip

EOTech 512 sight
PMags

I know I said it was finished, but I still have yet to install my SJC Titan brake.

Is the eotech ideal for competition?

Re: Finally finished my 3 gun stick. Pics inside.

If you haven't yet shot with an EOTech, you are gonna love it!!

Your specs look pretty good. EOTech and PMags... nice touch!!

My EOTech is on the way, and I will run nothin but PMags...

DK

I posted the thread with the intention of posting pics, but my camera isn't working so bear with me.

Just so you know... it is mandatory to post pics!! Without pics... it didn't happen!!

DK

The Eotech being ideal or not depends on how the matches you shoot are set up and your eyesight. I like them more than Aimpoints for <100yds but most are running 1-4, 1-6, etc with some sort of BDC or graduated reticle for longer shots.

prs stock for 3 gun? sounds heavy and unnecessary to me. nice build otherwise...

would also prefer a 1-4 power scope for the longer shots.

In most of the matches that I have shot in, there is a different division for red dot scopes and another for optics with magnification. I use an Eotech and have not had any problems hitting a 8 inch plate at 350 yds. Of course if you miss you will be able to re-engage quickly. Most of the courses of fire that I have shot have been pretty close range engagements. If I was shooting a match like Ft. Benning with some long range shots then I might rethink my set up. I honestly think that I also becomes a function of what you are more comfortable with and then practice at longer ranges.

Your set up sound like a good one. Having a balanced rifle that you can pick off those long range targets and then run and gun in a tight CQB situation is key in my mind.

Good luck.

Tom

Agree that the PRS is a little heavy for that rifle, but manageable. I've shot an Eotech in 3 gun, but prefer a 1-4X. I'm shooting a Burris Tac30 and like it.

BHE1small.jpg

Stay with the PRS stock. More weight=less recoil, and the adjustable LOP and cheekrest is nice. I have mine set up so that when I bring it up to my shoulder, my sight picture is perfect every time. My carbine/3gun rifle weighs just over 10 lbs and works very well for fast shooting. We don't have any longer range stuff at the local matches, it is all <80 yards. My rifle:

DSC03579.jpg

Sorry for my uneducated question, but is the RPS stock from Magpul or is that a similar model?

That stock is very nice!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kaptain86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry for my uneducated question, but is the RPS stock from Magpul or is that a similar model?

That stock is very nice!</div></div>

I think Magpul is the only one that makes the PRS, or anything like it.

Mine is right at 10 lbs with optic. I personally like the UBR. It gives the gun good balance. I originally had the CTR, but it was front heavy. I'm running the Burris 1-4 xtr. I set this up for 3 gun as well.

PC046422.jpg

I just use an a2 stock, I'm six foot five inchs and have long arms so it works well for me. I would not want the gun any heavier than it is. The jp barrel is a very thin profile under the handguard so more weight to the rear is not needed. Also has the lightweight carrier/buffer and upgraded bolt. Runs great and real flat shooting.
The lower is generic, with rra lower parts set, set the trigger to bill Springfield for his trigger job. It is nice around 4 pounds but very crisp and reliable with any primers.
Optics/mount has changed since this picture. Now it wears a vortex pst 2.5-10 with a Warne 3 gun mount with a 45 degree offset vortex sparc. The offset mount is integrated into the mount, it is a nice set up. If I could do it over again the only thing I would do differently is a carbo fiber free float tube. I ne'er attach any rails to the vtac/jp free float tube.
jordangunstuff033.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is right at 10 lbs with optic. I personally like the UBR. It gives the gun good balance. I originally had the CTR, but it was front heavy. I'm running the Burris 1-4 xtr. I set this up for 3 gun as well.

PC046422.jpg
</div></div>

The UBR looks like it would be a good option too. Looks like it has some weight. My 20" barrel is .750 in front of the gas block, but about an inch thick underneath the rifle length handguard. That plus the heavy stock balances the rifle really well. My rifle recoils about as much as a rimfire. It really helps with follow up shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The UBR looks like it would be a good option too. Looks like it has some weight. My 20" barrel is .750 in front of the gas block, but about an inch thick underneath the rifle length handguard. That plus the heavy stock balances the rifle really well. My rifle recoils about as much as a rimfire. It really helps with follow up shots. </div></div>

Yes sir. Plus I like the fact that it has a storage compartment. Or, if you don't like that, you can remove the panels to lighten it up a little. I also like how the cheek weld is consistent.

i'm seeing a lot of PEPR mounts, are those better than larue's spr mounts? i have yet to screw around with an spr, but i do have a loopy lr/t in a pepr on my spr

They're cheap but work well enough, and since I was already buying a Burris scope I grabbed their mount as well. I'm going to be getting a Larue for my other 3-gun rifle so I can run scope or irons, I don't have any experience with the Burris QD PEPR so I think I'll trust Larue instead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooting4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just use an a2 stock, I'm six foot five inchs and have long arms so it works well for me. I would not want the gun any heavier than it is. The jp barrel is a very thin profile under the handguard so more weight to the rear is not needed. Also has the lightweight carrier/buffer and upgraded bolt. Runs great and real flat shooting.
The lower is generic, with rra lower parts set, set the trigger to bill Springfield for his trigger job. It is nice around 4 pounds but very crisp and reliable with any primers.
Optics/mount has changed since this picture. Now it wears a vortex pst 2.5-10 with a Warne 3 gun mount with a 45 degree offset vortex sparc. The offset mount is integrated into the mount, it is a nice set up. If I could do it over again the only thing I would do differently is a carbo fiber free float tube. I ne'er attach any rails to the vtac/jp free float tube.
jordangunstuff033.jpg
</div></div>

Glad I am not the only person who thinks the A2 is just fine on a precision rifle! My only complaint with it is that when shooting prone it does not rest as well on the support hand as maybe a PRS does, due to the sharper angle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: regatoni5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'm seeing a lot of PEPR mounts, are those better than larue's spr mounts? i have yet to screw around with an spr, but i do have a loopy lr/t in a pepr on my spr</div></div>

Came with the scope. It works well. They are also a lot cheaper than the Larue mounts.

I agree, the only good thing about the multi position is if you wear a thick coat you can help your LOP.