• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally!!! ***Range Update***

Sooter76

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2012
Lincoln, NE
A couple years ago I bought a beat up 1942 Longbranch Lee Enfield No4. The stock was shrunk and the barrel turned out to be shot out but I got it cheap so no worries there. I decided that since the barrel and stock couldn't be saved I would salvage the reciever and get it turnbed into a repro sniper. I already had the stock and Criterion Barrels makes a .303 military profile, so I just needed to source quality pads, bracket and a cheek riser. I contacted Fulton of Bisley in England and got the pads through them. The bracket I got from Roger Payne, a former British armorer who built L42 sniper rifles, that were based on the WWII Lee Enfield No4 (T), back in the day. The cheek riser was sources from DS Solutions also in the UK. Yes, you can find cheaper knockoffs, but they have a checkered track record for quality.

I contacted Brian Dick who is the gunsmith for the Lee Enfield in the States. He's the one who every Lee Enfield enthusiast recommends. He doesn't do reproductions so he recommended Bruce Dow for the conversion work. Dow isn't a big name, but he has a good reputation within the precision shooting community. He rebarreld the receiver, mounted the pads, and collminated the bracket. He also refinished the metal parts before sending it to Brian Dick who restocked the rifle to MOD 1 standards. This is the end result...

C0632CCB-E525-4DD0-BB44-1E20073F7281.jpeg

I’m hoping to get it out to the range this weekend to break it in and I may still get a repro scope (currently has a K3 on it) but I couldn’t be happier!!

Last edited:
Nice project, with a new barrel is should do well at the range. Thanks for sharing.

That's really nice. I like the lighter coloured stock also - much joy in the shooting of your new rifle.

Those Weaver Ks are a nice scope.

Thought @deltawiskey might have had a British scope recently.

I could be wrong about delta but Ive sent him the bat signal.

Its actually pretty good, I haven't had any issues with it at all... however I just shoot it out to 50 yards and don't adjust anything now that its sighted in.
I think I bought it from SARCO if I remember correctly.
DW

Its legit... caught your pun, pretty good one ; )
Its Delisle inspired but not an accurate copy. Fun to shoot!
DW

Its legit... caught your pun, pretty good one ; )
Its Delisle inspired but not an accurate copy. Fun to shoot!
DW

Looks great!

Hope it chambers ammo reliably. Some rifles dont.

Just said "Ill take it" to start building another .308 R700 based rifle.

How many does one guy need? I should b e buying cool rifles like yours.

***Range Update***

So I got her out to the range today to finish barrel break in and scope dual in. After I had the scope zeroed I shot a few 5 round groups using Hornady Vintage ammo. I’m an average shot, maybe a little better but over 3 groups each starting from a cooled barrel I averaged about 1.75 MOA. The interesting thing was that the first 3 shots of each group were cloverleafed and the last two rounds opened up the groups.

I’m quite impressed and happy with the rifle and I look forward to seeing what handloads can get me down to.

Wow. Gorgeous gun. I too have a shot out, key holing ‘42 Faz sitting in the back of the safe...hmmm

Bruce Dow is THE MAN to have work on M1 Garands, M14 variants, barreling military snipers systems etc. He's an expert on the operation and fine tuning of both Garands and M14s for match work. I've had quite a few projects with his expertise involved. He's just an hour or so from where I live in Florida. Great guy, tons of knowledge and explains his work to you in a very cool machine shop/museum. IIRC he did some contract work for the USMC or US Army on their sniper rifles 20 plus years ago.