• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finished Projects Update: Colt 608, VG45, Hammerli K300

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    Got the Form 1 back for my Colt 608 survival rifle, also known as the CAR 15 survival rifle. A simplified, lightened AR-15 developed for the US Air Force by Colt in the mid 1960s, officially designated the Colt Model 608. Intended for use by downed helicopter and aircrews, it was hoped that a CAR-15 would offer more fire-power to aircrews who had previously relied on M1911 pistols and .38 revolvers. With a 10 inch barrel surrounded by a tubular handguard, a shortened pistol grip and simplified fixed stock the rifle could be broken down easily and stored in the aircraft until needed. They weighed just under 5 lbs and measured 29 inches long. They were often stowed with standard 20-round mags, they lacked the characteristic triangular shaped Bakelite barrel furniture and the M16A1’s forward assist and were fitted with a conical muzzle flash hider not seen on any other AR-15 or a moderator. Sadly the Model 608 never entered full-scale production and was not adopted by any Air Forces.
    DSCN5130.JPG

DSCN5131.JPG

DSCN5133.JPG

I finally solved the firing pin problem in my Rheinmetall VG45, also called the VG3. Now fully functional. The VG45, chambered in 7.92mm Kurz, was developed in late 1944. Using a tube receiver simple forgings, spot welds and rivets the VG45’s design was utilitarian with one-piece beech wood furniture. It weighed around 6.8lbs or 3.1kg unloaded and had an overall length of 34 inches / 86cm. With a simple two lug bolt and no safety the carbine was extremely utilitarian. The VG3 was the third of five rifle designs. It was a bolt-action rifle using the 30-round magazine of the Sturmgewehr 44. Less than 50 are thought to have been produced.

DSCN5134.JPG

I finished the custom Cerakote on my Hammerli 300. This is an ultra rare Hammerli 300m Free rifle. It has a straight pull action like later Hammerli k-31's but it is a toggle bolt system. I found this gun being sold as a barreled action that had been in a fire. I believe I paid $125. When I got it, it looked in pretty good condition...dirty, but no signs of being in a fire. I called the seller and asked why he thought it had been in a fire and he said it hadn't. I guess he just wanted to sell it and be rid of it. It did have a cut firing pin spring which made it non-functional and it was chambered in 30-06. He probably tried to chamber a 7.5 Swiss round, which of course didn't work. Anyway, I fixed the firing pin and glassed it into a Shultz and Larsen target stock. I put an Anschutz buttplate and rail on it. It shoots .75 moa.

DSCN5125.JPG

DSCN5126.JPG

DSCN5128.JPG

And finally, I finished my British Paratrooper bike which goes with my Swiss Army bike.

DSCN5129.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5123.JPG
      DSCN5123.JPG
      543.2 KB · Views: 88
    • DSCN5124.JPG
      DSCN5124.JPG
      545 KB · Views: 112