• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finished Rifle Build - [][] PCR Rocks [][] -

Spookfish

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2013
AZ
Hey guys! I'm a poor college student who manages to take a few training courses every semester. I was able to put away some money every paycheck to eventually put this thing together. I don't spend money I don't have so this has been a long time in the works. I also got a generous gift from my family, the scope! I was quite surprised. Yeah I know, I'm spoiled in that manner.

I would like to introduce myself since this is my first post on SH. I am a newcomer to the precision rifle field in many aspects but have taken time to lurk here for quite some time. I am very active in training with handguns and other carbines. I currently have taken multiple courses in emergency first aid, lowlight/no light handgun training and multiple other courses. I am currently a student who is interested in some type of security and intelligence work as my major is Global Security and Intelligence Studies, I just finished a minor in Arabic. Plans after college are still open but I am trying my hardest to do something with the military afterwards. I don't claim to hold substantial knowledge about precision rifles, but I am willing to learn and know not to cause any trouble. I highly respect your guys' opinions and can't wait to learn more from everyone here.

Shout out to Brad at PCR. He took great care of me during this process and is top notch.

I started this project with a Remington 700 SPS Tactical that I picked up four years ago. I've had a goal to complete this project ever since and by golly I've done it after a lot of work and a few years!

I took my rifle to Phoenix Custom Rifles to get an AAC 18" barrel installed as well as timing the flash hider, checking headspace, adding a bolt knob and truing the receiver and bolt. I went here since I tried a local gunsmith who wanted to charge over $300 for the barrel change
frown.gif
I contacted PCR and they quoted me $490 which matched the pricing on their website, but Brad said that if certain things took less time he'd charge me less. It's nice to find a custom workshop that is that honest bout their work. In the end he only charged me $345 for all of that work! He even cerakoted my receiver free of charge! Adding to this, when I came to drop off the rifle he went out of his way to be there on a Sunday, even after I got stuck behind an accident and was an hour late he was still there waiting for me. I could only make it that day since I live two hours away, his ability to make time for me is above and beyond what I would expect from a custom shop. PCR took care of me, charged me less than they quoted because Brad was able to find a way to install the pre-chambered barrel without having to use a reamer.

While that was at the shop I ordered an XLR chassis, Jewell trigger, Larue mount and a new bipod.

The XLR Chassis came packaged very nicely, Kyle Miller said it would be done around the New Year but they finished it two weeks early! XLR makes a very sleek, well put together and thought out product. I'll take more pictures when time allows. I got the folding stock adapter since it was so much cheaper than the other chassis options. XLR kept me in the loop the whole time my chassis was being completed and made sure to let me know when it was completed and when they received my rail to be shortened. Highly recommend them if you are looking into a chassis.

IMG_4100_zpsc21f2565.jpg

Presentation is everything, getting something properly packed is very important.

IMG_4101_zpsef30262f.jpg

I went down to Phoenix Custom Rifles the day after I got back from break since I was dropping off a pistol for a custom holster at TCB Firearms. Once again Brad made time for me since they were going to be closed since they had meetings that day. He showed up and we spent two hours installing and adjusting everything. Brad is very precise with his work, timing on the muzzle device has to be perfect, slightly under-timed so when it is broken in it isn't overtimed. The grease on the bolt, also has to be perfect. All these little things add up and I'm happy to say that he made my rifle perfect. They guarantee 1/2 MOA accuracy but usually its even more. He only wanted $20 for the two hours of work and the screws he had to use since I did not have the screws for my rail. I opted to give him $40 since his quality of work is so good, honestly if I had more I would've made it $50.

Here are some cell phone pictures for now! Let me know if you want to see anything specific, I have no money for a real camera after this project so I will be borrowing my friend's.

IMG_4105_zpsbcb18cbf.jpg

IMG_4109_zpsb4ff5f97.jpg

IMG_4112_zps439465db.jpg

IMG_4115_zps29d5b61d.jpg

IMG_4117_zpsb7c7565c.jpg

I will be taking this to a course in the beginning of February, no point in getting a rifle but not training.

Parts list:

- Remington 700 Short Action trued by PCR
- AAC 18" .308 barrel 1:8 twist
- AAC Blackout Flash hider
- Larue LT 111
- Larue 20 MOA base
- XLR Chassis
- Harris SRBM with Alpha Bravo
- Alpha Industries MFG magazines
- Vortex Viper PST MRAD FFP
- PCR Phoenix Bolt knob
- Jewell trigger with bottom safety

I realize the scope sits a little high, but with the adjustability of the XLR chassis it is a non-issue.

Will update when I actually get time to hit the range, my ammo is taking forever to ship and I am not into reloading... yet. It is on my to do list, I just don't have a place to call my own to set up and reload.

Any constructive criticism is more than welcome! Anybody have an SDN-6 in the Prescott/Phoenix area that I can try on? Would love to see what it looks like until I can get one.

-Spook

Re: Finished Rifle Build - [][] PCR Rocks [][] -

Keith and Brad do great work and are good people as well, I always recommend them to people looking for a build or just a little work. Great to see they are doing well and taking care of newcomers.

Great looking rifle! I feel your pain as I have been saving my pennies for quite a while now myself.... I bought a .22 bolt gun to start shooting some matches with until I could afford a good centerfire and run with the big boys. I would highly recommend it as it is inexpensive and a really great training aid. I have learned a lot about shooting form and wind trying to make hits a 200yds with it.

Your rifle looks awesome, I am jealous!

Thanks, glad to be aboard! I was debating between this and the Whiskey 3, but for some reason I just wanted the XLR in the end. Thanks for the welcome everyone, I'll update you all after my course in 2 weeks.