• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fire arm tranfer deniel with U.P.I.N. ?

JUAN l herrera

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2022
RCKY MNTS
So appealed and applied for VAF and received my UPIN in 2014 took 7 months to finally get possesion of that rifle and clear my name . Just got denied yesterday again after 10 years with no major issues just delays. Doesnt make sense. Has anyone here been denied tranfer with a UPIN. I can no find any info on this NICS does not speak to the public by phone all mail process or online. I suspect my local gun shop FFL either put in my info incorrect or diidnt put in my UPIN but he assuers me that it was correct. I did aply for a CC permit as local gun stores do not do background checks with a CC permit so hopeflly that will help its just more shit to do and cost as well. Any info or advice would be greatly apreciated. what i found in the past through public record is there is a person with the same name and DOB as mine with a felony in New Mexico. i have been hand cuffed on a traffic stop due to this wrong identity.

Haven't heard of this issue before, but wild guess - maybe the other Herrera committed a new felony/disqualifying misd recently?

While somewhat dumb, the quickest way to determine what's going on might be to buy another gun (who *doesn't need another AR lower?) at another store with your UPIN and see what result you get. I suppose it's possible the first background check was run by some brand new idiot hire who didn't know what a UPIN was or how to check it...seems like a human error bound to happen eventually.

Reactions: tsavo303
Haven't heard of this issue before, but wild guess - maybe the other Herrera committed a new felony/disqualifying misd recently?

While somewhat dumb, the quickest way to determine what's going on might be to buy another gun (who *doesn't need another AR lower?) at another store with your UPIN and see what result you get. I suppose it's possible the first background check was run by some brand new idiot hire who didn't know what a UPIN was or how to check it...seems like a human error bound to happen eventually.
This thought occurred to me as well. So after another tranfer and is aproved go back to the other store and say hey you FUGED up ? they have the borden action and trigger i ordeered

It's a tricky issue for sure. Dunno if ATF has issued guidance on dealers running a second background check for the same firearm; these days most dealers are pretty worried about running afoul of compliance.

It's entirely possible it's not the store's fault, just a mistake by the person who ran the background check. Rare, but conceivable. Or it's the store's fault, and they're morons. Easiest failure I can imagine is that they failed to include the UPIN - in which case the denial is 100% guaranteed.

Hypothetically, if you bought a firearm somewhere else, and they demonstrated the capability of properly inputting your info and thus not failing the check due to user error, you could ask the FFL to transfer the action to the other store, and then it's no longer their concern.

Found a NICS email last night and sent an email with info on transfer denial and my UPIN. This is the reply I just received so 🤞🏽

1708697399238.jpeg

I Got my action and sent off to gunsmith. All GTG ffl made me
Fill out another form but no call again just a clear to proceed. they didn’t charge me the transfer due to the hassle. Not sure what happend NICS doesn’t explain anything. All
is well

Last edited:
Reactions: Milf Dots
Them UPINs are useless. I still get delayed 90% of the time with my UPIN (instead of a few days it's a few hours).
If my FFL is out of town I tend to not use my UPIN because it has increased my chances of getting a delay instead of an instant proceed.

This same scenario happened to one of shooting buddies. Omg the hoops he had to jump through to prove he had no record. Did not matter he had ccp and no record ever. He was an identity theft victim years ago.

You're supposed to be given a pamphlet after denial by the FFL to contact NICS to appeal. Sounds like a moron FFL possibly.

UPIN is useless to me and was a waste of my time. I get a higher delay rate using it. I've never been denied using my UPIN though.