• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Fireclean or Froglube?

I have been using Frog Lube Paste for a few months now so thought I would chime in. I have not used fireclean though so this is only half an answer.

Auto Pistols (Mostly glocks)- No problems to report. I like it. It stays put and I like the smell.

Autoloader Shotguns (Beretta 390 and some russian piece of shit my buddy has)- Works well in bolt area. Does not work well in or around gas system. It isn't terrible by any means but it gets burnt on in certain areas that don't necessarily need lube but got some there while I was cleaning it. Turned the steel an almost gold color. Carbon still wipes off easily though.

I will use the rest of my tub over the summer and then probably try something else. Froglube is pretty great but it isn't the be all end all either.

I would try fireclean but to be honest I'm really damn tired of wanting something that costs less than 20 dollars and paying 7-10 dollars for shipping. I saw Papa's post about free or cheap shipping but I'm not going to buy two bottles of the stuff before I've tried one bottle to see if I like it. I wish the LGS or any local brick and mortar store carried the stuff along with all the other cheap ass parts I want to buy that are only available online.

Those of you with the FrogLube feedback, I understand several have said its just a wipe down job to clean with little need for scrubbing. Is this because you are using the paste and laying it on in a thick coating so the carbon actually just gums up into the lube? Or are you doing the heat treat method they recommend? I ask because I can definitely see where the carbon would just wipe away when FL is slathered on a bolt etc., that would make sense as its fairly thick in that form...but...when you heat treat there should be no noticeable lube on the metal other than a general sheen if you will. I am using FC and SEAL1 CLP which is very very similar to FL just a different color and smell lol.

Fireclean does a fantastic job slicking up the action on my 1911 and AR's and anything else I use it on. Cleaning is okay, still have to wipe/rub/scrub some.

SEAL1 CLP aka FrogLube Mod1 as far as I am concerned, it is very slick when globbed onto a surface such as a BCG but not quite as slick on the heat treated metals. Everything out there has its own pros and cons but as long as it helps remove carbon/prevent buildup, can handle large range of hot/cold temps and prevents oxidation then I will be satisfied.

I've done sub zero temp testing as well and SEAL1 CLP slows down the action on my 1911 and AR. Fireclean test subjects seemed to be less affected by the cold. Pick your poison. GL!

I use both the paste and the liquid of FL. I did the initial heat treatment and now just apply it every cleaning. I usually put a decent amount of the past on the Bolt and BCG due to the patrol rifles seeing lots of use before they come back to me for inspection and cleaning. I also used a lot of fire clean on the Bolt and BCG and I still found the fire clean harder to clean. I started with a little bit of FC because they said a little goes a long way but I had to apply more and I still found the guns using FC gummed up quicker and were harder to clean.

I personally hate the athletic club locker room, sore old man, bengay stench of froglube. Some folks think its pleasant, I'm not one of them.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

This past week I did run some more testing at the very cold range. I gave some feedback to FireClean because I think there is enough there that a slight additive could help with the low temperature performance. I had to "borrow" some FL because I literally threw away what I had been given before, still not worth the effort, but I gave it a go.

Cleaning BCGs at 5F really sucks, I would not recommend it! Glad I took coated insulated gloves and a dunk bucket.

Does "FL" stand for FrogLube or FLorida? The stuff is slick and good to go in general, in warm climates. Florida gun owners would have no issues that I can see but cold weather will put the brakes on that if its used any more than sparingly.

@ MARKCO, did you notice any 'stickiness' from the FC at those cold temps? I am not sure if that is what I noticed or just a slightly slower feel within the actions of the firearms I was testing.

FL does stand for FrogLube. Used as directed, not enough lubricity nor corrosion protection for me.

FireClean does cloud/gel/crystallize at about 24 to 25F based on my testing. If you follow the directions and keep it thin, it should not become sticky that you can actually feel. However it is more likely to sheer leaving a surface slightly unprotected. If you can see the crystallization with your naked eye, it is probably too thick. Anyway, I did make a recommendation to Fireclean to deal with the low T useage.

MarkCO what temperature does the royal purple mix cloud at?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I just started using FireClean myself. Liking it so far. Im just a "shoot at the range" type guy who is coming from Hoppes 9 lol. But i like it 100x times more on all my guns. Does make clean up at least seem a bit easier (could be mental for me though) but the biggest thing is the gun stays lubed up a ton better than with just the hoppes.

But im sure i would have had the same experience with FrogLube as well. Like any sort of thing like this they are all pretty dang similar

Been running Fire clean on my 6.5 Creedmoor gas gun with great results. Zero malfunctions despite dusty gritty conditions and the gas system on a large frame AR gets dirty quick. Almost all of it wipes off I just need a tool for the bolt tail and inside of the carrier.

I have used frog lube in the service, and I use it on my personal guns. I miss the smell of regular CLP, but FL makes my wife not mind me cleaning guns in the living room. My friend uses fireclean and is always raving about it. Maybe I will give it a try after i run out of FL. Can't go wrong with either if you ask me. Oh, and these "recommended initial applications" are just silly. Go shoot, lube your gun, shoot some more and over time it will work itself out.

FL makes my wife not mind me cleaning guns in the living room. My friend uses fireclean and is always raving about it. Maybe I will give it a try after i run out of FL. Can't go wrong with either if you ask me.

This. I used FL for the first time on Monday and was able to clean my Springfield XDs and Sig 220combat in the living room and the smell was fine, smelled like Wintergreen. Next weekend Ill be cleaning my LWRC REPR and after that will report back on my findings with FL. If I dont care for it I will try FireClean then go from there. The theory behind FL is pretty ingenious though and I hope it works like I have been hearing.

I just got my bottle of fireclean so I only have a basic bit of info to add.

1. The fireclean definitely installs easier and in smaller portions. Much thinner and easier to pin point.

2. I WILL NEVER USE FROG LUBE EVER AGAIN. After using it with no reasonable complaints from Spring until Fall last year. Earlier this winter I took my SPR out on three different occasions. Each time, pulled the gun out, got set up, after hanging targets, I loaded a mag, pressed the bolt release - and nothing. The mag release button wobbled around the bolt stayed locked back. Dropped the mag, pulled the charging handle a few times, got the bolt to release, loaded and fired fine. After even one shot, it was good to go, but this kind of temperture sensitivity is sort of bullshit. It was cold, but not Alaska cold or anything. Iirc it was 20-30ºF each day. That was it for me.

I haven't been able to test FireClean's low temp performance, but I can't imagine it would be worse than FrogLube's.

Last edited:
+1 for floglube. I put a light coat on my AR in a military class I teach and shot about 5,000 rounds(w/o suppressor) and it was still good to go. Also, it felt like my BCG was teflon coated! Its slick

My experience is this. I lube the barrel and all the outside parts with Froglube when I will be in freezing temperatures.. I use fire clean on the moving parts when in cold weather.

I use Froglube for everything when I know I will be in warm weather. Just make sure to wipe off the excess lube

I use Fireclean on my guns and it is the best working so far. I use it extensively on my suppressed firearms and they run like sewing machines. I just add more lube if I am doing a lot of shooting and the carbon doesn't cake on like other lubricants I have tried.

So after three pages, it appears both products have fans, and detractors. Both products have people saying product "A" works great, and others saying they prefer product "B". It looks more and more like a Ford VS Chevy argument the further along this goes.

I would use either one. If I only had enough money to buy one product, and both were available for the same price, and in the same quantity, deciding which one to buy would be quite difficult. I guess that is where the manufacturer's marketing kicks in.

Pretty good review but it's too bad FIREClean wasn't evaluated as well. While tests like these can be informative, I take them with a grain of salt and prefer to go with how a product actually works on firearms and in the field.

From my field experience Froglube is the best in the warm weather. It froze in freezing weather. Almost cost me a huge cat and some wolves... fire clean works great in cold weather if you wipe it off good

Regarding Froglube freezing up: Earlier I posted that I used some Froglube an AR15 type rifle at a rifle at a practical rifle match in cold weather. Driving to the range, the low temp was 14 degrees F. High temperature for the day was 24 degrees F at about 3-4 PM, with most of the day around 18-20 degrees F. My rifle worked without a single malfunction for the entire match. I followed the manufacturer's instructions to heat up the parts, liberally apply the product, then wipe off any excess. Perhaps my wiping off all the excess prevented any product from being available to freeze up.

I realize this isn't a true comparison test, and that it is simply an anecdotal account of the product working. I did note that the rifle had an unusually slick feeling to the action after I put on the Froglube...sort of like it was on ball bearings. In any case, it worked great in cold weather for me.

FrogLube also works great if you want your iron to serve a secondary function as a petri dish.

moldygun2_zps3061d986.jpg

That's a pic from another pistol forum I'm on, not mine, and he wasn't the only one with that issue.

According to him, Frog said to send the remaining lube back, and would send a replacement containing a fungicide or some such thing.

That's a pic from another pistol forum I'm on, not mine, and he wasn't the only one with that issue.

According to him, Frog said to send the remaining lube back, and would send a replacement containing a fungicide or some such thing.

Thats because Froglube is food based. You can eat it

I would like to recant my earlier post. I have been testing the frog lube against my slip2000 and it seems to be doing better in some areas.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_GB/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
<div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=864982896849957" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=864982896849957">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/nemoarms">NEMO Arms, Inc.</a></div></div>

Last edited: