• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fired some 260 out of my 308 by accident

EROCO

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2010
Could I have hurt the barrel on my 308?

I was not able to fire another 308 through round at the range because I could not chamber a 308 because of unburrnt powder that was spilled on the chamber that had to get cleaned out.

Am I screwed?

Thanks.

Re: Fired some 260 out of my 308 by accident

Your fine, you just have some fire formed 308 brass now. Don't sweat it!

No, it'll be fine. Clean it out, and don't be a putz anymore.

Lol, thanks ..

It happened, I didn't hit jack..

Brass is trashed, lol

Did you mix .260 and .308 in the same box?

Yeah I've "heard" a 7mm mag fired from a 300 win mag is real quiet too.

Yes it was a bit quieter..

I just had the boxes of ammo switched, the brass after firing looks like a 308 brass now.. I won't take any chances, I'm throwing away the 3 brass cases..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EROCO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes it was a bit quieter..

I just had the boxes of ammo switched, the brass after firing looks like a 308 brass now.. I won't take any chances, I'm throwing away the 3 brass cases.. </div></div>
Do you mean 3 times?...lol. I was worry aoubt doing the same thing with my 6.5 CM and .308 get mix up.

Had a guy fire an entire box of 7mm Rem through an STW, then bring it in the store wondering why the brass was so messed up.

Just a guess, with zero gas seal of the smaller diam bullet it's prob subsonic, hence the quiet report.

Had a Buddy who shot a 308Win in a Steyr 25-06Rem. It don't work no more. But give the Steyr lots of credit, it stayed together.

Worked with a guy that didn't like to spend money on 300 weatherby so he used 300 win all the time. With the Weatherby freebore I suppose it was no big deal.

Just another thing shooters only do once.

once fired 264wm in 300wm that didnt work out real well for the brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a Buddy who shot a 308Win in a Steyr 25-06Rem. It don't work no more. But give the Steyr lots of credit, it stayed together. </div></div>

How did he get the bolt closed?

Joe

Buddy of mine put .308 through a .3006.
Brass looked like a stove pipe, but didn't even split at the neck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scudzuki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a Buddy who shot a 308Win in a Steyr 25-06Rem. It don't work no more. But give the Steyr lots of credit, it stayed together. </div></div>

Joe </div></div>

25-06 is a long action.

image_zps65575b0b.jpg

The guy who shot the 7 mag out of a 300 WM uh sent me this picture. Talk about brain dead. He can't even get the photo right side up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rubicon-unlmtd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scudzuki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a Buddy who shot a 308Win in a Steyr 25-06Rem. It don't work no more. But give the Steyr lots of credit, it stayed together. </div></div>

Joe </div></div>

25-06 is a long action. </div></div>

Yeah, somehow I read 30-06 in a 25-06.

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A78063</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow, you might want to take up another sport. </div></div>
If your so brilliant, why do you live in southern California....?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idaho1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A78063</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow, you might want to take up another sport. </div></div>
If your so brilliant, why do you live in southern California....? </div></div>

Haha brilliant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buddy of mine put .308 through a .3006.
Brass looked like a stove pipe, but didn't even split at the neck.</div></div>

I did this in my 03A3 about 20 years ago... and yea, the case looks like a stove pipe afterwards.

I'd been used to shooting my 308, put it in the rack and just grabbed 03...So, I loaded the mag, shot a group and was surprised when my groups were around 6". When I sat up and saw the case...I though I must have had case separation...so I tested for that...nope.

sat down behind the rifle scratching my head and out of the corner of my eye...I see the box of 30-06 ammo(just slightly out of reach)

Shot 243 through my 260 once at a match about 3 years ago. Could not figure it out. Shot a steel gong at 200 yards. Thought my scope got off. Had 30 shooters giving me advice what it could be.Then finally look at the loads and saw it was for the 243. Finish the match with the right ammo.