• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First AR-15 build- required assembly tools?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    Guys,

Posted recently that I'm building our first AR as a grad present for my son...
    Ordering the required tools for assembly is more complicated than the components...

Brownells sells a "Critical Tool Kit", they also have a two-page checklist of "required tools".

We are buying a stripped upper (A3 Flattop) and lower, so "some assembly" is definitely required...

Question is- this is probably a one time (maybe one more for myself!)build. Looks like some of the tools might make life easier, but wouldn't be absolutely necessary for a single build.

Something like the front sight bench block- I can see it's functionality, but is it absolutely <span style="font-style: italic">necessary </span> to install the front sight/gas block? Forty bucks for a plastic jig to be used once...Just askin'...

Should I just bite the bullet and buy every item on the list? I'm all about having the right tools for the job, but perhaps there's a balance to be struck for a one-time build and "specialty" tools that would only be used once or twice...

I've got a pretty complete shop with most of the usual "stuff". What <span style="font-weight: bold">must</span> I have to build the rifle?

Re: First AR-15 build- required assembly tools?

If you don't already have it, get the Glen Zedeker book AR15 Builders Guide.
    He addresses the necessary tools pretty well in addition to the methods of putting it all together.

Book is part of the order already.
    Just wanted to get it all at once, but maybe I need to slow it down, wait till the components arrive, and see what I need.

Problem is that I see there are compatibility problems with some of the jigs, etc. where they don't fit all manufacturers, eg not "universal".

If you're only going to be building one, you'd be better off buying a barreled upper receiver, or a complete upper assembly, and skipping the specialized tools that are only used to assemble the barrel to the upper, and the FSB to the barrel.

get the tools required, i have assembled a few using my dpms multi-tool, barrel vice jaws (although i highly recommend an action block) , go no-go gauge, if you get everything you need, shoot me a pm after your done using them i'll buy em from ya for cheap!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoName911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're only going to be building one, you'd be better off buying a barreled upper receiver, or a complete upper assembly, and skipping the specialized tools that are only used to assemble the barrel to the upper, and the FSB to the barrel. </div></div>

I agree with this. There are so many uppers available (properly assembled) in so many configurations today from folks like Bravo Company, it is very difficult to justify the expense of all of the tools and other resources to assemble only one upper. Assemble the lower if you must, but there again, it will likely cost you more.

Kuleck/McKee's book, The AR-15 Complete Assembly guide, is excellent. Also, Dean Caputo's new DVD from Panteo should be extremely good and is on my wish list. If you could get into one of Dean's AR operator's diagnostics classes or Greg Sully Sullivan's armorer's classes, that would be the ultimate.

Having stated all of that, the guys on the ITS Tactical blog have a whole series complete with video and tool lists in which they are detailing the assembly of an AR-15:

DIY AR-15 Build