• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

First attempt at a long range rig!

cm1021

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2012
East, TN
Here's my first attempt at a long range rig.

Savage Model 10 FP-SR .308
EGW HD 20moa Base
Weaver tactical Rings
Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50FFP
AAC 51T Brakeout (pending SDn6
and just put her in the B&C Medalist Tactical this morning.

In the old stock she was shooting a .485 5 shot group with FGMM 175gr. it's the target on the peg board in the pic. I'm gonna start working up some loads this weekend hopefully. Only thing left is to add a DBM and possibly a different bolt hand. I don't really like the stock one too much...

I mean it needs to be put together properly, bolts torqued properly, components mated correctly with one another, overall solid rifle. When assembled correctly, it will be one unit and not items connected to each other. Sometimes you can thump the barrel on a precision rifle and hear the barrel ring like a tuning fork. It's hard to hear but you can hear it if you put your ear close enough.

I mean it needs to be put together properly, bolts torqued properly, components mated correctly with one another, overall solid rifle. When assembled correctly, it will be one unit and not items connected to each other. Sometimes you can thump the barrel on a precision rifle and hear the barrel ring like a tuning fork. It's hard to hear but you can hear it if you put your ear close enough.

Are you sure it's not just your ears ringing?

practice practice practice. I cant emphasize that enough. Dont just shoot when its nice out either. Shoot when its windy, cold, rainy......... it will make you a better marksman.

I would say also get a cheek piece. Make everything as solid and consistent as possible.

Just go shoot! When you have outgrown the current set-up, you will know. Don't get pressured into buying all the junk that you don't even need. As I said, when your skill exceeds the current set-up, you will know that it's holding you back.

Ohh she was put together meticulously!! Everything is torqued to spec and double checked. And of course I lapped the rings. What do I look like a newb?? :] I'm just messing but yes I done a years worth of research before I started putting her together and made sure that everything was correctly installed. but I'm gonna hafta pass of trying the tuning fork...