• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing First Big Hog!

LawDog101

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2010
Was up in the stand, looking to take a doe a few weeks ago. While glassing two does at 350y, they turned and looked at a feeder that we have. Sits at 160y. I turn and lo and behold, there he was just eatin' away at our corn. Shot him with my DSA 20" FAL .308 with 150 BTSP. Entered in the left shoulder and came out down and to the middle of entry. Ran about 30 feet and DRT. Best guess on weight was around 200lbs.
PB110211.jpg

LD

Re: First Big Hog!

Nice 1st post LD, I love a successful hog hunt!

To be quite honest, I was going to get rid of the FAL. Accuracy with mil-surp simply sucked (just random and no consistent pattern) and it wasn't all me. My little brother convinced me to do a few reloads and I have had good accuracy (for a battle rifle) around 2-3 MOA at 100y. Not great but a bit AK-ish.

I have some 168 SMK's that folks tell me will shoot down under 2 MOA all the time. It is what I hunt with and I hit a feral goat at 355y so it works. I hope the 168's work better.

LD

Pig was taken at our family ranch near Mason, Texas. I am the fourth generation of hunters on the property and my kids are the fifth.

Nice pig! I bet he has some family left though.

Great Pic! Cant wait to bag a hog like this. Trying to set up a hunt for my son and myself in FL.

beautiful hog! I like that you were huntingg with your FAL...that rocks!