• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors first can help

deadeye23

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2019
Hello all,

Im in the market for getting my first can. This will be for duty use PRIMARILY on a Remington 700 LTR (308) and also on a Colt LE6920 (556).

Ive been looking at the deadair nomad-30. I don’t really understand back pressure and how a longer can like the nomad L would affect my AR.

Im also debating between kemo. xeno, and rearden atlas mounting system. Which does better in terms of less poi shift and repeatability? Both rifles may be shot without the can so I also would like a system with good brakes/flash hiders.

Can someone please chime in and if im way off point me in a good direction.

Last edited:
The Nomad-30 will be a good all-around can for those 2 rifles. I would opt for KeyMo over Xeno, because I like the ratcheting locking of the KeyMo on a semi-auto/machinegun to ensure it's locked-up tight. KeyMo has shown virtually no POI shift from taking the cans on and off. My POI zero has remained consistent.

Another option might be more expensive, but you will most-likely end up going this route in the future anyway (we all did), and that is to get 2 cans, one for each rifle. In which case, the Dead Air Sandman-S or Otter Creek Labs Polonium 5.56 with a KeyMo setup, would be my recommendation for the Colt AR15 due to the duty-rated toughness of them. And for the R700 .308 Win, I would recommend a Dead Air Nomad-LT with a direct-thread mount, or an Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L with the new Otter Creek ZR0-DTA direct-thread mount for maximum suppression, supremely lightweight, and precision shooting.

Right now Charlie's Custom Clones has the Otter Creek Hydrogen-L on sale for $765! Which is a steal! The normal MSRP is $1,000. And the DA Nomad-LT will run you $1,100...

For the Colt AR, I'd go with the Sandman-S or Polonium 5.56.

Reactions: longshot2000
The above recommendations are all great, and I agree Keymo is the better of the two options there. I do recommend staying with the same mounting system whatever you do, for uniformity and adaptability sake.

I use the Griffin Plan A mounting system and I like that as well. Its shorter and lighter than the keymo, but it does not have ratcheting system, its a threaded taper system.

For your 5.56 can, definitely look into Rex Silentium as well. Great cans for a great price. You can use any 1.375x24 mounting system(Griffin, Keymo, etc) on them.

And you'll definitely end up with more than 1 can lol... You can either buy 1 now and 1 later, or 2 now

The nomad 30 is an ideal all around can. Just so you know, cans are like potatoe chips.... so if you are considering another I'd just go ahead and do 2 at once if you can.

As far as the mount, I'm super happy with my yhm mount. It's been around a while and I take mine off and on regularly and there zero shift from time to time. It's a ratchet lock and works great. A little anti seize on the threads of the qd break help a lot too.

For duty use, Sandman -S or -K if you’re going DeadAir. Griffin has a new taper mount w/lock for their new cans also.

The Nomad-30 is a great option. The Thunder Beast Dominus is another solid choice; I hold the SR mounting system in high regard. Both would benefit from some tuning on the LE6920 host (say the very least, a heavier buffer).

Reactions: longshot2000
Hello all,

Im in the market for getting my first can. This will be for duty use PRIMARILY on a Remington 700 LTR (308) and also on a Colt LE6920 (556).

Ive been looking at the deadair nomad-30. I don’t really understand back pressure and how a longer can like the nomad L would affect my AR.

Im also debating between kemo. xeno, and rearden atlas mounting system. Which does better in terms of less poi shift and repeatability? Both rifles may be shot without the can so I also would like a system with good brakes/flash hiders.

Can someone please chime in and if im way off point me in a good direction.

An L on your AR would be very gassy and high back pressure.

Rearden is my favorite mounting system. I've had keymo, no interest in going back. Adds significant length and weight. A keymo muzzle device and keymo weigh basically the same as a Nomad ti.

I'd recommend a huxwrx flow 556k for your Colt and a Diligent defense Enticer S or L ti for your bolt gun.

Nomad 30 will be a decent choice for dual duty.
Helios QD Ti is another good option but it's pretty expensive.

Rearden atlas with a rearden or liberty precision machine muzzle device is what I'd choose.

OP, I got to tell you, you have gotten a ton of great advice here, and in the suppressor world, it is hard to find three people who agree on an answer. Like others, the Nomad is my "go-to" answer, and then move up, down, sideways as I hear more, but it is sort of my .30 cal can of reference. A recent poll we did, showed the Nomad as a clear winner in popularity as a .30 cal direct thread can.

As others have noted, a good .30 cal will work with an AR platform just fine at 5.56mm. And, the longer the barrel (16" plus), the less back pressure gas is really an issue. You can mitigate that with a PRI gas buster charging handle and an LMT enhanced BCG. The shorter barrels have more gas issues. Also, with a 7.62mm aperture, you are going to get less gas anyway than a 5.56mm aperture.

The other can I like for cross dressing between 7.62mm and 5.56mm is the Surefire 762 MINI2. It has the same body length as the full size 556 RC2, and becomes a "K" can for your .30 cal. It is a little heavier than some, as it is stainless, but you are not going to hurt this one.

The other recommendations are all solid. Some of the choice comes down to what muzzle device (if any) do you want to use, and do you want light or durable or next gen construction (like Huxwrx and CGS) or the premium cans like TBAC, or some of the new contenders which are solid and light, but building their reputation like Diligent or OCL.

I was in your shoes not too long ago with the same criteria, and I picked the Abel Co Biscuit. It's a short and fat .30 cal can, that's designed to be at home on precision bolt guns and suppressors. It has an excellent recoil impulse, and is low(ish) back pressure for AR-15 systems. So far I'm really enjoying it, and I know Frank at one point said it's his favorite suppressor currently.

Another excellent option is the TBAC Dominus. Lighter than the Biscuit (titanium vs. 17-4 SS), but otherwise similar size. Also designed for double duty on bolt guns and semi's. I think it's a couple dB's quieter than the Biscuit if that matters. More $$$.

Those are the two I would look at. The Rearden system is great, I used it on my Biscuit and my wife's Omega. I haven't noticed any issues with repeatability, but haven't explicitly tested for it yet, but I will in the future. I think the Rearden/Q system is the most elegant system out there.

Well, I went to my local shop and they had one Nomad-L left in stock and were out of the nomads. I purchased the L and I'm already shopping for a can for the AR. Thank you all for the responses. I think I will be happy with the Nomad-L on my R700.

Well, I went to my local shop and they had one Nomad-L left in stock and were out of the nomads. I purchased the L and I'm already shopping for a can for the AR. Thank you all for the responses. I think I will be happy with the Nomad-L on my R700.

That will make a good dedicated can for the bolt gun.

If I was shopping for a dedicated AR suppressor, I would look at the TBAC Dominus, Huxworx (flow through design, less back pressure), Surefire, DA Sandman. A really good value proposition is the YHM Resonator turbo.

Last edited:
For a duty 556–SandmanS/K or Sierra 5, Griffin HRT, Surefire Mini, Huxworks, YHM Turbo K…any of those.

Huxwrx flow 556k

Have the Dominus SR and its great. Light as hell, tough, and quiet. Price tag on it sucks but maybe you can pick up a 50% off cert in the buy/sell/trade forum. It's my go to can for all my ar's and my 16in ar-10

Also have the CGS Heilos QD for extremely short barreled pistols (sub 10.3in) and heavy firing schedules. Thing is heavy but bombproof.

Have a rifle thats pinned and welded with a Dead Air Keymo flash hider so will be picking up a Dead Air Sierra 5 soon, or possibly an Otter Creek Polonium. Those two cans look very interesting

Reactions: kthomas
Have the Dominus SR and its great. Light as hell, tough, and quiet. Price tag on it sucks but maybe you can pick up a 50% off cert in the buy/sell/trade forum. It's my go to can for all my ar's and my 16in ar-10

Also have the CGS Heilos QD for extremely short barreled pistols (sub 10.3in) and heavy firing schedules. Thing is heavy but bombproof.

Have a rifle thats pinned and welded with a Dead Air Keymo flash hider so will be picking up a Dead Air Sierra 5 soon, or possibly an Otter Creek Polonium. Those two cans look very interesting

The Dominus seems like an excellent all-around suppressor.

Nice size, great weight, decent suppression and the build quality and CS that comes from TBAC.