• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors First Can(s)? For AR15, AR10, and multi-cal precision rifle.

richthe1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2018
Initially, I was looking at getting a TBAC 338 Ultra (maybe SR) as I mostly shoot my bolt gun. However, I thought it might be nice to get one suppressor I can use for 3 platforms.

The AR15 will be an LMT, AR10 will likely be an LMT, and the bolt will likely be an MRAD, AXMC, or AXSR. I am a bit concerned with LMT rifles and cans as I’ve heard they are pretty gassy rifles so I need to choose a suppressor that has minimal blowback. And you can’t really put an adjustable gas block on LMTs.

On the AR15 it’ll mostly be shooting 5.56 and .224V. AR10 will mostly be 308 and 6.5. Multi cal precision rifle will be from 6CM thru 300NM. I plan to be shooting SA the majority of the time. I don’t anticipate moving up to (338) in the future, but I’m not sure.

I’d like the suppressor to be durable, repeatable, and have a good company back it up. I’ve seen TBAC is really active here and well respected.

Should I get the TBAC Dominus SR and roll with that for everything? It will limit me from moving up to larger calibers, but I think I’ll be pretty set with 300NM.

Or should I get multiple cans? 338 Ultra and...? Not sure what other cans would be best strictly for the AR platform. I’ve heard good things about Dead Air, Surefire, Silencerco...

Biggest plus to the Dominus SR is that it’s a do-everything can. Biggest plus to the 338 Ultra is that it’ll be quieter and doesn’t limit me in the future if I want to go to 338.

Thanks!

There’s nothing wrong with running a 338 Ultra (or SR) on gas guns— it’s just big. You can run it a bit harder than an Ultra 7 but obviously the Dominus SR has a “go to war” rating. In terms of size, it’s more or leas the same diameter as the 338 U-SR, just about 2.8” shorter.

I run a TBAC Ultra 9 on my bolts and AR10

SilencerCo Saker 556 on the AR15’s

1 can would be nice for every platform (36M is an attractive new one). Having a TBAC 338 will be the quietest but long on an AR 15 platform

My 30 cal Ultra required no tuning to run on the AR15. But did require adjustable gas block for the RR LAR8 in 308.

The Saker on the AR15’s require tuning gas blocks, BCG etc to run smooth

Last edited:
Reactions: richthe1
Dead Air Sandman-S is a good low-back pressure option to consider also. Also easy to move from rifle to rifle with the KeyMo muzzle devices.

TBAC cans are great, when I was in the market I was planning for big use on semi autos and the gassy/back pressure was a deterrent to me at the time.

If you can wait a year, I have a TBAC 338 SR on form 3 over to my SOT at the moment.

Main use will be a multicaliber DT SRS (16" 6.5CM, 26" .300PRC) and occasionally my AR until I can get funds saved back up to catch a Dominus or other lighter/smaller option for dedicated gas gun usage.

The Dominus looks like the most versatile option if you are sure you aren't moving up anytime soon. If you do move up in the future, nothing wrong with picking up a 338 can down the road and still having the Dom available in the mean time.

I went with the 338 over waiting for the Dom because 99% of my shooting wont be hindered by the extra size/weight, and I will enjoy the extra volume that comes with it.

I was pretty much in your boat when I bought my 1st can several years ago.

I now have 5 and will be adding to that.

Just face the truth. if you buy one, you will end up with several.

Adding to this ^^^ Save yourself the headache and just buy them all now. Spending the next 4-5 years in a perpetual wait for your next can is a royal PITA.

I recently just bought a Rex Silentium MG7k bored at .358(9mm). It will be used on my .357mag lever gun, 9mm pistols and 6.5cm rifle.

Inexpensive for a legit suppressor. 5.7" at 12oz. Build quality initially looked legit, but obviously I've only handled it yet.

The 338 Ultra SR and the Dominus SR use the exact same mounts, also...
That’s cool! How would you anticipate the Dominus SR performing on the LMT rifles that can’t really be tuned for suppressors? I’m looking for a low back pressure can for the LMT AR15 and AR10. And the “go to war” rating is a big factor for me.

Dead air Sandman S .30 cal on my AR10, AR15 TBAC .338 on precision bolt guns.
This is an option I was considering as well!

Bolt rifles and the TBAC use the Area 419 system
I have an area 419 Brake on my AI, but to my knowledge they don’t have an adaptor for the SR series. I think the secondary retention is a really cool feature.

That’s cool! How would you anticipate the Dominus SR performing on the LMT rifles that can’t really be tuned for suppressors? I’m looking for a low back pressure can for the LMT AR15 and AR10. And the “go to war” rating is a big factor for me.
It is less backpressure than the Ultras for sure. I can't say on the LMT's in specific. However, my experience is that for AR style gas guns, if the gun was designed to run properly with a good and equal margin of operating range, it will still run well with a can on. This is especially true for 223/556, a little less for 308 (typically majorly overgassed from factory), and it gets worse the more the different cartridge's pressure curve deviates from 223/556.