• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors TBAC 30 cal analysis paralysis

Kspence49

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2022
Wyoming
Hey all, I need some help choosing a TBAC 30 cal. I’ve compiled most relevant info below but their performance is so close I need some people with experience to weigh in. The hosts atm are a 20” 308 bolt rifle, a future 6mm or 6.5, and who knows might throw it on an AR although I have others for that purpose. To add to the confusion I’m also picking up a 338 and planned to go with the BA over the SR to save a bit of cash, and would be nice to be able to run it on the 308 as well for ultra quietness so would like to stick with the BA unless you all can talk me into the SR. Thanks for the help!

ModelMountLengthWeightDb at muzzleDb at earFA rated
Ultra 7CB7”8oz137126No
DominusBA/SR6.25”9.6oz BA/12.5oz SR137126SR yes/BA no
Ultra 5CB5”6oz145133No
Dominus KSR4.87”10oz (SR)145134Yes

Reactions: BurtG
Ultra 7 if compact ness is a factor. Otherwise the Magnus because it’s the quietest If you plan to shoot 338 get the 338 Ultra instead
Planning to get both the 338 and a 30cal, so I think the magnus would be redundant since it’s only an inch shorter and a similar db rating? And you think the ultra 7 over the dominus then?

I meant that to mean, choose the 338 Ultra over the Magnus in the first set of criteria if you will be planning to scale up to 338 in the future

The Ultra 7 and Dominus suppress the same. Literally the only advantage of the Dominus-CB is that it's a little bit shorter than the Ultra 7.

Reactions: Trent A
I meant that to mean, choose the 338 Ultra over the Magnus in the first set of criteria if you will be planning to scale up to 338 in the future

The Ultra 7 and Dominus suppress the same. Literally the only advantage of the Dominus-CB is that it's a little bit shorter than the Ultra 7.
Ok cool thanks! I guess i just need to decide BA/CB vs SR then. It’s quite a big cost difference on the 338 can, will I have issues running the BA/CB on semi auto 556/300blk should I choose to?

If you are shooting a "sporting" pace, BA/CB should be fine. If you to do mag dumps, eventually DT, CB, BA, and other TOMB systems without a second lock are likely to loosen. The SR will not.

The SR was made to stay tight during a hypothetical "12 hour ride on a shitty helicopter" or "8 mags full auto."

Ultra 7 or Dominus is going to be the most "universally versatile", but if you want max volume suppression, and don't mind a 9" can that's in the 12-13oz range, then the Magnus is top dog. I have a Magnus-HUB, and it's an awesome can. I can personally vouch for that one, as I only have 2 TBAC cans...Currently. I do plan on buying more in the future...Especially when that new Magnus-S drops... @TBACRAY yall can count me in for one of those, as well. 👍🏼

Reactions: Trent A
Hey all, I need some help choosing a TBAC 30 cal. I’ve compiled most relevant info below but their performance is so close I need some people with experience to weigh in. The hosts atm are a 20” 308 bolt rifle, a future 6mm or 6.5, and who knows might throw it on an AR although I have others for that purpose. To add to the confusion I’m also picking up a 338 and planned to go with the BA over the SR to save a bit of cash, and would be nice to be able to run it on the 308 as well for ultra quietness so would like to stick with the BA unless you all can talk me into the SR. Thanks for the help!

ModelMountLengthWeightDb at muzzleDb at earFA rated
Ultra 7CB7”8oz137126No
DominusBA/SR6.25”9.6oz BA/12.5oz SR137126SR yes/BA no
Ultra 5CB5”6oz145133No
Dominus KSR4.87”10oz (SR)145134Yes
If you're already getting a 338, why not start with something you can use on everything? If down the road you want something more compact, get the Dominus. Once you put a can on the AR, you'll want one for it and not have to worry about overheating it.

My first rifle can was an Ultra 7. Once I got the 338 Ultra, the Ultra 7 saw a lot less use ( I mostly shoot 6mm). If I had to do it over again, I'd have two 338 Ultras. To me the difference in weight and length is negligible on a precision gun, but the difference in suppression is pretty big. I use the Area419 Hellfire system, so I can move my cans around to any rifle I choose regardless of who makes them.

Thunderbeast makes awesome cans! My next can will be a Fly 45!

Ultra 7 or Dominus is going to be the most "universally versatile", but if you want max volume suppression, and don't mind a 9" can that's in the 12-13oz range, then the Magnus is top dog. I have a Magnus-HUB, and it's an awesome can. I can personally vouch for that one, as I only have 2 TBAC cans...Currently. I do plan on buying more in the future...Especially when that new Magnus-S drops... @TBACRAY yall can count me in for one of those, as well. 👍🏼
What’s the magnus S?

I own the Ultra 5, Dominus, and 338 Ultra (plus 22TD)

Dominus for all around everything

Ultra 5 for ultralight setup

338 Ultra for anything that just needs to be quiet

At the end of the day, the Dominus is the best all around suppressor.

Reactions: kthomas
Counter opinion: check out Pewscience instead of a manufacturers published numbers which are tested in not ideal circumstances. TBAC surely makes good suppressors but it seems the Hide gets drawn to product (precision rifle) when product itself is equally and sometimes better suited. There's some awesome innovation and collaboration in cans now and I'm for supporting companies taking part in that, not raising fits over it.

Counter opinion: check out Pewscience instead of a manufacturers published numbers which are tested in not ideal circumstances. TBAC surely makes good suppressors but it seems the Hide gets drawn to product (precision rifle) when product itself is equally and sometimes better suited. There's some awesome innovation and collaboration in cans now and I'm for supporting companies taking part in that, not raising fits over it.
Have you seen how TBAC does their testing?

Show me a suppressor that has the repeatability and performance that is equal or better in price than TBAC.

With that said, my primary can for precision rifle is a Maverick. I am no shill for TBAC but certainly impressed by their product offerings that when I use other suppressors, I always end up going back to TBAC. I have a safe full of NFA mistakes when it comes to suppressors, I haven't found one in TBAC, yet.

Reactions: LeftyJason

TBAC has lots of videos of them testing their suppressors next to other very popular cans.

Pewscience is neat and all, but not the be all end all. We focus way to much on just dB numbers when it comes to suppressors. I personally think there are other factors that are just as important, if not more so, than dB numbers.

I've never purchased a suppressor because of its dB rating.

Reactions: NiteQwill
The problem with pew science in regards to thunderbeast is they don't have any new or relevant thunderbeast Suppressors in their testing data. The last time I looked they only had a gen 1 Ultra 9. And then he regularly tests other people's new suppressors and say that it's quieter than the TBAC ultra 9. But it's all based on old data for that suppressor.

That's true.

Some put way too much stock into PewScience.

But thunderbeasts video comparing the Magnus, 338 Ultra, Hyperion and some of those other cans next to each other was really useful.

Still waiting on thunder beast to make a .375 Magnus or .375-338 G2 Ultra 🤣
We can test whatever people want, as long as we have one here (or you can bring one), time permitting. A while back someone from ar15.com brought up a Nagant revolver that we tested with some other odd stuff (spoiler: it was loud as shit).

As for the .375-- good chance we'll do a small run of a Magnus "something" later this year, if we're talking 375 Raptor - .375 H&H type cartridges.

Reactions: BurtG
What would be best Thunderbeast for a 358 Winchester hunting rifle with 20” barrel? Fly 45?