• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First can

LR1845

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2021
Nevada
Ok guys I am looking at buying my first can and I know this has been beat to death....I've been looking and reading for awhile and my answer seems to be TBAC unless I've missed something.

I want the best can made, best customer service, quietest, lightest best quality, best attachment ECT....MONEY IS NO OBJECT....only thing this can will be used for is 6 and 6.5mm. So my question is who's THE BEST and what model/models should I be looking at.

Thanks Dave

A better question is, best can for what purpose?

If this is for a semi auto platform, I'd look for a low back pressure can something like a OSS can. A hunting suppressor will be short 6" titanium can. My PRS suppressor is a KGM R30. I'd say it's my favorite all around precision suppressor. KGM isn't currently making suppressors for civilian market, but you can get a Daniel Defense suppressor with the same technology.

Best suppression and longest and cost is no object? TBAC, 338 Ultra SR or 9" Magnus SR.

Reactions: LR1845
A better question is, best can for what purpose?

If this is for a semi auto platform, I'd look for a low back pressure can something like a OSS can. A hunting suppressor will be short 6" titanium can. My PRS suppressor is a KGM R30. I'd say it's my favorite all around precision suppressor. KGM isn't currently making suppressors for civilian market, but you can get a Daniel Defense suppressor with the same technology.
Bolt gun only I don't own a gas gun.

Thanks Guys and keep in mind I've been shooting a long time but have never even thought about buying a can until the last couple of weeks so I know next to nothing about them I just know I want the best if I'm going to buy one.

You think the 2 models you mentioned are optimal for and 6.5?

If you want maximum quiet, you'll need the big ones.

A 30 cal Magnus might be the play. Save a couple ounces and they're super quiet. CB has never let me down, but if cost was no factor and I got a free do over I'd probably have an SR NTBs on every barrel.

There's more to cans than just the quietest, so figure out what you really want and need from it (including mounting to all your rifles), read a bit more, then ask any other questions that remain or came up. Can't go wrong with any TBAC tho, IMHO.

Thanks, I actually forgot about the Abels....do you think they are on the same level as the TBACs and what model should I be looking at?

Quality wise, absolutely. Their quality is very, very good.

For best suppression from their line-up, that would be the Theorem-L.

However, if dB reduction is your biggest criteria, a .338 Ultra or Magnus will provide a little bit more suppression.

Ok guys I am looking at buying my first can and I know this has been beat to death....I've been looking and reading for awhile and my answer seems to be TBAC unless I've missed something.

I want the best can made, best customer service, quietest, lightest best quality, best attachment ECT....MONEY IS NO OBJECT....only thing this can will be used for is 6 and 6.5mm. So my question is who's THE BEST and what model/models should I be looking at.

Thanks Dave
They look no further than the TBAC Magnus HUB. The next best option according to TBAC’s independent testing at their Silencer Summit is either the Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L 7.62, or Dead Air Nomad-LT. Those are 3 of the quietest precision cans on the market. I have all 3, they’re great.

That said, factoring in that you need it for 6mm & 6.5mm only, this is going to be the quietest precision option currently out there…

@kthomas @TheOfficeT-Rex @FuhQ so I guess this is what I am looking for kind of in order...
customer service...ease of buying and if any issues arise
small/light
durable
ease of mounting rifle to rifle...only 2
and sound mixed in there somewhere but not number one concern.....I mean I don't want it to sound like a brake but as quite as it can be without it being as big as a gallon jug LOL!

So just trying to narrow it down to a couple of models...I am pretty sure there will be more at some point.

@kthomas @TheOfficeT-Rex @FuhQ so I guess this is what I am looking for kind of in order...
small/light
durable
and sound mixed in there somewhere but not number one concern.....I mean I don't want it to sound like a brake but as quite as it can be without it being as big as a gallon jug LOL!
Otter Creek Labs or TBAC are your top options. Both have amazing customer service and support after the sale. Both care about their customers. Both make amazing cans. I am currently up to 4 of each brand. 👍🏼

They look no further than the TBAC Magnus HUB. The next best option according to TBAC’s independent testing at their Silencer Summit is either the Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L 7.62, or Dead Air Nomad-LT. Those are 3 of the quietest precision cans on the market. I have all 3, they’re great.

That said, factoring in that you need it for 6mm & 6.5mm only, this is going to be the quietest precision option currently out there…

If you look at the Summit results, it's splitting hairs for the top #10 essentially. I wouldn't reduce it down to those 3.

Otter Creek Labs or TBAC are your top options. Both have amazing customer service and support after the sale. Both care about their customers. Both make amazing cans. I am currently up to 4 of each brand. 👍🏼
Thanks I am 99% sure it will be a TBAC I have read nothing but good about them.

small/light
durable

So just trying to narrow it down to a couple of models...I am pretty sure there will be more at some point.

The Abel guys are great. They will take care of you if something goes wrong. Same with TBAC. I haven't heard any complaints about OCL.

Avoid Dead Air. If you have problems (which are more likely then the other brands), good luck. You're in a long line of many repair orders, and customer service and communication is almost non-existent.

For mounts, that's fairly personal and subjective.

If you get a suppressor with the 'HUB' threads, it opens up your options to a whole ecosystem of mounting systems. Most suppressors have HUB mounts. TBAC has hub options, or you can go with their proprietary CB or SR mounts. Pros and cons to everything.

I personally use Rearden mounts, which use Q's 'Plan B' pattern. Its simple and elegant, and the taper works to keep carbon out of the threads. Rearden stuff is high quality too.

There's a lot of options, it all really depends on what you want and your personal preferences.

The Abel guys are great. They will take care of you if something goes wrong. Same with TBAC. I haven't heard any complaints about OCL.

Avoid Dead Air. If you have problems (which are more likely then the other brands), good luck. You're in a long line of many repair orders, and customer service and communication is almost non-existent.
Andrew at Otter Creek told me a few months back that he’s only (at that time) had to repair 4 cans (out of multiple thousands) for defective welds since they opened their doors… That’s like a god-level manufacturing ratio, but I absolutely believe him, based on the quality of my 4 cans, and his OCD attention to detail, and the fact they still build all their cans by hand and in small batches. 👍🏼

Reactions: kthomas

If you had 1 maker 1 model to choose from what would it be using what I am looking for as your guide line?

If you had 1 maker 1 model to choose from what would it be using what I am looking for as your guide line?

I'm really impressed with my Abel Co Biscuit and its quality, and the customer service from Abel - so I would likely go with the Theorem-L. If it was me, buying a can today with no budget. My second choice would be a TBAC Magnus with HUB.

That would be my personal preference. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't discount other options.

Thanks guys appreciate the help....we have a local guy here I'm going to talk with next week before I make a final decision.

Reactions: kthomas
I want the best can made, best customer service, quietest, lightest best quality, best attachment

I guess this is what I am looking for kind of in order...
small/light
durable

These lists are sort of at odds. The first I would say a full sized magnus, but if you want small and light a K model is mo bettah and equally durable.

Judging by your second list, there are any number of smaller cans that meet your needs and would be easy to swap back and forth on whatever mount you want. Figure out how big or heavy you're willing to live with, then go from there. TBAC has a pretty neat comparison chart of their new products.

small/light
durable

For customer service, I'm sorta surprised somebody from TBAC hasn't commented on this thread yet.

With regards to TBAC customer service, I have contacted them regarding 2 different questions and fixing a problem my stupid self created. Both times I sent emails on saturday evening expecting responses the next week. They emailed me back within 14 hours on Sunday morning both times. Who else does that? Very helpful and my problem was fixed.

I only recently received my second suppressor (.22) but I’ve had a centerfire can since 2016 and I genuinely enjoy shooting with it.
One thing I did recently notice, mine is a 9” can, it’s suppression is great, but I recently shot next to a guy running a 5” can and I was surprised at how well it tamed the “bark”.

Now I want a short can….it never stops…..😂

Anyone running a Gen2 Ultra 5?
That is a very short and skinny can…Very little sound suppression. If you want hearing safe for a couple shots in the woods, a new Magnus-S HUB or OCL Hydrogen-S (7” cans), or full size Magnus HUB or OCL Hydrogen-L (9” cans) would be the way to go.

Suppressed Armament is local to me and is what a few of the guys I shoot with are running so I am going to talk with them first.

this is the one i am looking at.... https://www.suppressedarmament.com/read-more-BARRICADE

SAS makes good stuff. Have extensively used an older model Arbiter Ti and the stainless 308 model (heavy but quiet). Both are 9" cans.

If money is no object, buy 2 or 3 different brands that will suit your needs and report back with a review of your new toys.

SAS makes good stuff. Have extensively used an older model Arbiter Ti and the stainless 308 model (heavy but quiet). Both are 9" cans.

If money is no object, buy 2 or 3 different brands that will suit your needs and report back with a review of your new toys.

After doing a bunch of comparing I am 99% sure I am going with the SAS Barricade, its a tiny bit quieter and tiny shorter than the Magnus-S and only about an OZ heavier...I know splitting hairs here. The big reason I am leaning more towards SAS is he is local and most of the guys in our club are running his cans.

I will post back after I meet with him on Monday.

Reactions: smoooth1
After doing a bunch of comparing I am 99% sure I am going with the SAS Barricade, its a tiny bit quieter and tiny shorter than the Magnus-S and only about an OZ heavier...I know splitting hairs here. The big reason I am leaning more towards SAS is he is local and most of the guys in our club are running his cans.

Might want to take this into consideration from the HMFIC himself. Yes it is a few years old but it showed up quite high in a search for SAS barricade.
Not even close, TBAC is in another league.

MHSA used to be the exclusive distributor for SAS and I proof tested rifles with them prior to delivery. The SAS cans were so inconsistent in their execution I would not own one. And let me say, I have roughly 30 suppressors in my collection. I could have gotten a free SAS can have I asked and routinely turned them down as I saw just how bad they were. It got to be where I could look at them and know which ones would work and which ones would not. It went south when I had them load up a big bag of them to check accuracy and a significant number of them would not hit the target. I had one hit 25ft in front of us, at that point it all changed, MHSA diversified.

if you were going to buy a SAS when they were dumping them below cost, you might have an argument to say, "that is worth it" but really, no. It's like they are made in a garage by whoever he can get on any given day to weld them. In my opinion after seeing so many up close and personal, look elsewhere (TBAC). Personalities being what they are, this has nothing to do with the people but everything to do with end results. Yes, there are some decent ones, but even the good ones would take a 3/8th-inch group and turn them into a 3/4 inch one. The SAS just do this weird spiral pattern to put everything in one hole, but usually a bigger one.

TBAC is the best precision rifle cans on the market, consistently so, precision rifle shooters making precision rifle cans. - You're welcome.

Reactions: LR1845 and FuhQ
Might want to take this into consideration from the HMFIC himself. Yes it is a few years old but it showed up quite high in a search for SAS barricade.

I knew someone would be along shortly, LOL! Thank you, I thought about searching for it, too.

That was years ago and (my understanding) was isolated to a specific time frame / batch, or possibly extenuating circumstances; I don't recall the exact details of the (in person) conversation.

Also, re-read that quote @LeftyJason posted a few times and ask yourself if what is being described even makes sense?
Specifically, this quote: " It went south when I had them load up a big bag of them to check accuracy and a significant number of them would not hit the target. I had one hit 25ft in front of us, at that point it all changed, MHSA diversified."

The 2 SAS I've used were made around this MHSA / SAS parting-of-ways time and have been flawless, but sample size of 2...

If they were / are truly that bad, SAS would be long out of business by now; but, here we are...

@LR1845, I wish you the best of luck in whichever brand you choose.

I would go Magnus-S HUB, honestly... TBAC has forum presence, and their concentricity and runout for their cans is pretty much unprecedented in the rest of the market. OCL is the only other company I'm aware of that has nearly as close concentricity and runout from can-to-can.

I wouldn't buy a can because all my buddies are using them, or because someone is local to you. Those 2 factors are not enough for me to make a final decision on something. Do some research online and read many random opinions on forums and stuff. There's several local suppressor makers in my state, but I still prefer TBAC, OCL, Rugged, etc... over a small local person who says it's "lifetime warranty", that might not be around next year, then you're stuck with a can if something happens, you're pretty much SOL getting it fixed. And being a small local company, ECCO could probably fix it, but would it really be worth it, over just spending the same amount on a new can and tax stamp that is better, and more modern?

These are all things to think about...

I would go Magnus-S HUB, honestly... TBAC has forum presence, and their concentricity and runout for their cans is pretty much unprecedented in the rest of the market. OCL is the only other company I'm aware of that has nearly as close concentricity and runout from can-to-can.

I wouldn't buy a can because all my buddies are using them, or because someone is local to you. Those 2 factors are not enough for me to make a final decision on something. Do some research online and read many random opinions on forums and stuff. There's several local suppressor makers in my state, but I still prefer TBAC, OCL, Rugged, etc... over a small local person who says it's "lifetime warranty", that might not be around next year, then you're stuck with a can if something happens, you're pretty much SOL getting it fixed. And being a small local company, ECCO could probably fix it, but would it really be worth it, over just spending the same amount on a new can and tax stamp that is better, and more modern?

These are all things to think about...
I get what your saying and I know the TBAC is king of cans I've done my research...SAS has been around a long time and like @smoooth1 said if his cans were bad there would be a lot of talk about it and as a small business he would probable be out of business but even through what ever happened way back when Tim is still around .

Also I read through 98% of the post from Frank in 2018 about the SAS cans and there are WAY more happy than unhappy customers and like everyone has said(and I know in my mind)I will most likely end up with more than one can but I am still 99% sure it will be a Barricade from Tim.

I knew someone would be along shortly, LOL! Thank you, I thought about searching for it, too.

That was years ago and (my understanding) was isolated to a specific time frame / batch, or possibly extenuating circumstances; I don't recall the exact details of the (in person) conversation.

Also, re-read that quote @LeftyJason posted a few times and ask yourself if what is being described even makes sense?
Specifically, this quote: " It went south when I had them load up a big bag of them to check accuracy and a significant number of them would not hit the target. I had one hit 25ft in front of us, at that point it all changed, MHSA diversified."

The 2 SAS I've used were made around this MHSA / SAS parting-of-ways time and have been flawless, but sample size of 2...

If they were / are truly that bad, SAS would be long out of business by now; but, here we are...

@LR1845, I wish you the best of luck in whichever brand you choose.

I have seen some strange things in my life and do not doubt the 25yd thing but its still hard to believe, and also seems that something would have failed inside that suppressor.

My centerfire can is a 9” Arbiter that was a clearance deal from Mile High when they parted ways with SAS. A friend got their 7” model at the same time.

We’ve both been very happy with ours. Neither can has ever missed anything at 25 yards😂 (I remember that thread too!).

That said; I think TBAC has better service if you do need them from everything I’ve read. My .22 Takedown from TBAC has been pretty sweet so far!

My SAS (Arbiter MX 30 cal) cans do shoot well but when i tried to call them before the purchase they never responded to my two voice mails i left them. Also these cans do have a huge difference in POI between the two to a tune of several inches off at 100 yds, cans have sequential SN's.
Brought the wrong (SN) can to a shooting session years ago & couldn't hit anything past 200 yds. It was due to it being zeroed with a different SN.

When i switched the TB cans around (again sequential SN) i don't have the same POI issue, even if i try a gen 1 vs gen2 Ultra 9 the POI is about the same. Haven't tried that test with the magnus or 338 TB cans i have but gut feel they will do the same as the ultra 9.

If i screw up bringing the wrong can, i can at least hit my target with TB but certainly not SAS.

New Magnus-S HUB just for some suppressor porn for you...

IMG_6119.jpeg

Full-size Magnus HUB...

IMG_7825.jpeg

• Love
CGS Hyperion is a tie to my ears with the Magnus on a 6.5CM. Both are very quiet. CAT JL looks VERY interesting as well…

It's quieter. If you wait for a contract over run of the alleycat version of the JL it has one more baffle and is even quieter. Just got to demo it. It's very impressive.

Hey guys, Serge from Abel here. Thanks for the shouts.

We take customer service and build quality extremely seriously!

Also, using TBACs sound suppressor summit data filtered by Shooters Ear dBA should show you want you want to see as the “quietest can”

The reason for filtering using SE dBA is below

What is the difference between dB and dBA?​

A dB(A) measurement has been adjusted to consider the varying sensitivity of the human ear to different frequencies of sound. Therefore, low and very high frequencies are given less weight than on the standard decibel scale. Many regulatory noise limits are specified in terms of dBA, based on the belief that dBA is better correlated with the relative risk of noise-induced hearing loss.

Hey guys, Serge from Abel here. Thanks for the shouts.

We take customer service and build quality extremely seriously!

Also, using TBACs sound suppressor summit data filtered by Shooters Ear dBA should show you want you want to see as the “quietest can”

The reason for filtering using SE dBA is below

What is the difference between dB and dBA?​

A dB(A) measurement has been adjusted to consider the varying sensitivity of the human ear to different frequencies of sound. Therefore, low and very high frequencies are given less weight than on the standard decibel scale. Many regulatory noise limits are specified in terms of dBA, based on the belief that dBA is better correlated with the relative risk of noise-induced hearing loss.

Thank you this is a great comparison!!

Reactions: hic28
Upon hearing the E Forms are clearing super fast, I called Abel for both a new Biscuit and new Theorem, cuz why not, they are awesome cans.

Sparky went in and got a Magnus Hub just like above so it shows where we stand this week 👽

No favors exchanged
I am looking hard at the Theorem S and the Biscuit now but still unsure....I have an in person with Tim with SAS tomorrow so that's still on the table...so many choices.

I am looking hard at the Theorem S and the Biscuit now but still unsure....I have an in person with Tim with SAS tomorrow so that's still on the table...so many choices.
Just get them all! Can never have enough!

• Haha
Reactions: kthomas and LR1845
Just get them all! Can never have enough!
I'm sure I will end up with a few its just where to start that's the hard part...Like I said I am going to talk to Tim at SAS tomorrow and if that don't work out I will be calling you.

Reactions: hic28
Went and put the first shots through the new Magnus-S HUB today... Did some side-by-side video and photo comparisons with my full-size Magnus-HUB. I got plenty of footage for the next few months. I even shot some of my subsonic .308 Win handloads from my 16" MPR and my 210 RDF load from it. Mostly the comparisons were with my 20" 7mm-08 (shown below).

IMG_6202.jpeg
IMG_6203.jpeg
IMG_6204.jpeg
IMG_6220.jpeg
IMG_6223.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: MO Fugga
I'm very satisfied with the KGM/DD cans for their recoil reduction in competitions. It's not a good as what a muzzle break will be, and certainly isn't as quiet as my Gunwerks 8eight, but for recoil reduction during matches, it's very nice.