• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First long range rifle info, NEWB!

dunndealin

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2012
Central FL
First, I looked for an intro forum, but didn't see one. I am looking into my first long range rifle. I have spent most of my time shooting pistols, but I have been drawn to the longer range shooting as of late. I own a few remingtons for hunting, and I believe that is what I want to start with. What are some of the differences between the triggers, and are there certain ones that are preferred over the others? This won't be a $10k rifle, and here in flat Florida I am only able to shoot to about 600yds on a private piece of land, so 1000+ is not in my immediate future.

Re: First long range rifle info, NEWB!

Are you planning on working with one of your existing Remingtons, and if so, what do you have to work with?

If not, you might want to look for a Remington SPS in 308 as a starter rifle. Most will tell you the 308 is ballistically disadvantaged compared to other rounds, but it's good enough and reasonably economical to shoot. For that matter, a 223 might be a good starter as well.

You'll get tons of opinions on triggers, but for something with a good feel and good reliability, I prefer the Huber.

sorry I meant to add that I want to buy a new rifle, as my 2 hunting rifles are a model 7400 semi-auto, and a model 7. They are both .243, and I like that cartridge, but I am not sure if 600 is out of it's range. I do not reload for rifles yet, but if I had 3 rifles in the same caliber it would be very tempting. The model I had in mind was the 700sps in .308. I believe the.308 is a fine round at 5-600yds.

I have the SPS Tactical in .308 and I absolutely love it, great rifle.

Id I had to do over I probably would have gotten the AAC-SD model as it is 1/10 twist barrel and mine is only 1/12.

Much better velocities out of the AAC-SD model, not to mention a pre-threaded barrel from factory if you ever plan on putting on a muzzle break or suppressor.

Best of luck to ya and welcome to the hide!

Depending on your budget, I would recommend checking out your local dicks sporting goods store. They often run there 700 ADL Varmint on sale for around 450$. trash the stock and replace with any of the chassis systems and you will have an excellent start.

Another option could be the Rem. 700 5r. That setup really doesn't require any upgrades and runs for around 1150$

hope that helps

Ryan

I have seen some of the ADL models, and yes the stock would have to go, but that may be an option aswell. I just don't want to spend the whole loot on the rifle, because I want to have a nice scope to add to it. The realistic budget right now would be around $2000-2500. I am buying a house or it would be a little more

I would honestly just spend it all on the scope, base, and rings and put it on a factory rem 700 243, 260, or 308 and get a gunsmith to work the trigger. That way you will have a nice scope which you will be thanking yourself later for and you can modify the rifle gradually as you see fit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dunndealin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> They are both .243, and I like that cartridge, but I am not sure if 600 is out of it's range. </div></div>

A 243 (loaded right) is just getting started at 600 yards

Another one here for the Remington 5R. But, if you plan on getting some custom work done to the rifle later on, get another model of the 700 that is cheaper. The 5R is a great sub moa shooter right out of the box with match ammo, but costs twice as much as other models can. But if the rifle is going to stay the way it is off the shelf, the 5R will outshoot all other 700's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lawofsavage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would honestly just spend it all on the scope, base, and rings and put it on a factory rem 700 243, 260, or 308 and get a gunsmith to work the trigger. That way you will have a nice scope which you will be thanking yourself later for and you can modify the rifle gradually as you see fit. </div></div>
That was my thought, because if I get seriously bit by the long range bug then I will have a good scope to change to the upgraded rifle, and sell the starter to someone else that is looking to get into it.

I'd look at any of the Remington 700s or possibly Savage in a .308 to start. I'd favor the Remington just because if you want to put some work into it later there is no shortage of smiths. Definitely save some money for a good scope. Don't go cheap in this department. You'll regret it later.

Remington 700 Varmint, .308 or .223

Get good base and rings, decent glass, and some Federal Gold Metal Match.

Done.

if you have access/live near a gander mountain. they are advertising sps tacticals in .308 for $650.00 till the end of the week.

arborpro

I'm a new longrange shooter and basically followed the steps that members are recommending. I started out with a new R700 SPS 308 in stainless steel. Removing the stock and barrel left me with a new action to build my rifle with.

The 1st step was to have a Kreiger barrel and muzzle brake on my new action. Once the barrel installations was complete, it all was installed into a McRee chassis. Its simple with just 2 bolts holding the action and barrel to the stock. The hole process is easy to do, the hardest part is the waiting period while the barrel is being fitted.

The people on this forum are always willing help with good advise.