• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First look for me at new ACR rifle

donws2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2008
Mountain Rest, South Carolina
Went to the local fun store today to pick up a rifle and they had one of the new ACR rifles in FDE. The FDE is more yellow then I had expected, not sure if I like it yet. It's a darker tint as well which I do like. I've always thought the original FDE was to light in shade. Anyway I just had time to handle the rifle and could not do a full detail inspection. The overall ergonomics are OK. I think the butt stock is to short but for a carry rifle lenght can have its drawn backs so I'm sure there was a compromise on lenght. Safety was easy to reach and and I like the G3/MP5 charging handle design. It had the new Magpul back up sights which I've used and for what they are their OK. Trigger did not feel any better than a AR to me. I did not get to play with a magazine so I cant say much about lock up or ease of mag change. Bolt looked to be much like the AR design but the carrier and gas system reminds me on the G3 and FAL. Thats about all as I only got to play with it for a few minutes. Price was about 2300. I was thinking that the ACR was supposed to come under 2 grand or at least that's what I thought I had read from either Bushmaster or Renington last year. Anyone shoot one or get some play time with one yet?

Donald

Re: First look for me at new ACR rifle

got to shoot one. it's nice enough. it's worth about $1500. definitely not the $2500 they're asking. if I can find a used for $1500 or maybe a little more i might grab it if I have the money at the time.

There are several in depth threads about the ACR somewhere, my HideSearchFu is pathetic. Nothing I ever look for shows up but Justin J here can direct you.
I've shot them a fair bit in comparison and like it alot.

When Magpul had the design it was going to be a 1500-1800 there retailing everywhere for 2500 now that Freadom group got it.

With the competition in the AR market this design will probably come down in price next year. The gas piston market is started to stabilize and come down in price. I saw an ACR in my local gun shop so I got to play with it some. I like it too but the price is just too steep for what you get at the moment. It would sell great in the 1500-1800 range.

Donald, they are going for around 2k at Sportman's Wharehouse if you have one of those around.

The bolt looks similar to an AR because it is basically a copy of the AR-18 which is close to an AR-15. The HK G36 as well as the SCAR and a couple others use similar bolt setups.

The trigger feels similar to an AR because it is an AR trigger. Though some claim it feels better.

The color comes from the .mil, they put it in some solicitations, it's 30118 or something like that.

Good luck,
Justin

I haven't shot mine yet, but I like how it handles. An EoTech cowitnesses perfectly with the MBUS sights. I am debating whether or not to put on the MOE rails for a sling attachment and an AFG.

Does it still have the caliber change options?

I look at an ACR and liked it. It felt fairly light in hand. The ambidextrous mag release, safety and bolt catch/relase are nice features. The stock is adjustable in length. It has an adjustable gas piston for suppressed and unsuppressed fire. The rail and handguards are plastic, so you don't cut yourself on them, and they save weight.

The idea for a modular system with quick change from caliber and barrel length seems exciting, but only time will tell.

Agree that pricetag is high, but it is the "new thing".

At least for me I couldn't justify getting one because I already have a LWRC M6 with magpul BAD lever.

not impressed for the price tag on it.... I'd rather take a LWRC or POF hands down.... now if the price was $1300... I might bit.

I fondled one at Sportsmans, said they had it for months and was the first and only one they had received. They were asking $2100 I think. Felt front heavy to me, and the buttstock was short with no adjustment that I saw. Buttstock would have been okay for someone wearing winter clothing/coats probably. Like has been said, would probably sell a lot of them in the $1500 or less range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cemac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it still have the caliber change options? </div></div>

We were told September on most of the accessories for them. Such as the fully adjustable and folding stock. Rail system and quick change barrels and bolts.