• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First outing with new rifle

paxton50

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
St Louis, Mo
I finally decided to try out long range shooting. I have been intrigued with it for a while and I decided it was time. After spending enough time on this site researching .308 rifles, scopes, rings, bipods and ammo, to almost end up in a divorce, I pieced together what I hoped was a good setup that could grow with me as I progressed. I ended up with a FN SPR A2, Harris bipod, Weaver tactical 3-15x50 scope and Burris XTR rings. I went out to my range this weekend and bore sighted the scope by looking down the barrel with the bolt removed and then adjusting the scope to match. Then I took 2 shots out to 25 yards, 1st was high then the 2nd was right on after using the mil dots on the scope to take my measurements and translating that into turret adjustments. Having a scope with a matching reticle and turrets is pretty nice! Next I did the same thing at 50 and 75 yards. I then took it out to 100 yards and took 5 shots. I think I did pretty well considering this is my first time at shooting prone with a rifle I have never fired before.

Federal 7.62x51 175SMK
IMAG0058.jpg

FN
IMAG0059.jpg

I do have a few questions. The trigger pull is at its stock setting and I would like it to be a little lighter. With the rifle being bedded do I need to do anything special to separate the action from the stock so I can adjust it? When do most of you recommend moving the target out past 100 yards? Where I shot I can shoot out to 700 yards which I would like to get to someday. Do you recommend moving in 100 yard increments? How do you know when it’s time to move the targets out farther?

Is there anyone in the St Louis area, I am in Belleville IL, that would be interested in meeting up at a range sometime? Since I am new to this sport I would be up to meeting some people around here with the same interest.

Re: First outing with new rifle

I'll be the first one to say welcome to the hobby, nice rifle and nice shooting! As far as moving the targets, wing it! If you're doing this for pure enjoyment and testing your skills move targets at will and have fun!

Paxton welcome to the club. On the question about removing the action from a bedded stock, just remove the action screws and the bottom metal and then carefully remove the action from the stock. If it is tight dont rock it side to side, just <span style="text-decoration: underline">slightly </span> muzzle up and down and lift straight up. Be careful when reinstalling the action into the stock and tighten the screws down evenly ( I do the front first) and would recomend adound 65lbin.

On the moving the distance out some I say go for it! But I would get the fundamentals down first and the streach your legs.

Welcome! Just read your post and thought that was a hell of good job for first time up to bat! I'm still new enough at LR that I would not offer up advise except to say have fun doing it! To me it is all about "R&R". It is what I do to get away from the daily grind.
Good luck and hope to see more from you!

Great first rifle to start with. I would suggest finding some dope for your rifle and go ahead and move out 100yds at a time. Good luck and have fun.

Welcome to the highly addictive sport. I really like your choice of gear the SPR's are sweet and give you a great platform to customize with way on down the road. The only thing I can answer is get good fundimentals and watch the videos lowlight made about recoil management and things cause they'll really help. And I was always told the farther you practice at the better at the closer ranges you'll be. Just never go "plincking" always shoot with a purpose of getting better, but have fun at it.

Great rifle and good shooting! Your rifle is spot bedded from the factory at the recoil lug & rear tang. This will help it to re-align when you reassemble it. Just clean out the recoil lug recess with a Qtip and some alcohol before reassembly, you don't want anything to be in the bottom of that recess that will hold the recoil lug up. Like mentioned before - alternate and draw screws up gradually and stop around 50-65 inch pounds (not foot pounds).

The trigger can be adjusted easily. Don't touch the top screw with the epoxy on it. Just loosen the 2 screws that are butted up to each other & the spring. One screw locks the other. A little adjustment goes a long way.

You'd be surprised how far out you can hit a man sized target. I bet you could go the full 700 yards and hit. It's just a matter of finding your DOPE. Try out a man sized target at 500 yards and see where you're hitting. 3.2 mils of elevation should get you close.
We put this small female marine that was annoying our platoon behind one of our M107's one day (our gysgt's idea by the way) and she was hitting slightly larger than man sized targets at 1100 yards no problem.

Welcome Paxton50! Nice rifle and good shooting! I agree with finding some dope for your rifle and just shoot, if you're like most...the further you shoot, the farther you wanna shoot!

For the first time that is some real nice shooting

Thanks all for the responses! I have been reading everything that I can find to help me get the basics down.

I was only able to fire 24 rounds last weekend over both days. I am surprised at how much recoil I experienced. The skin over my clavicle bone was black and blue! I did notice that when I relaxed and didn't preload the stock against my shoulder as much that it seemed to kick less and I was able to reacquire my target after the shot faster. I also need to get a pod-loc, the rifle pivots on the bipod quite a bit after the shot.

Here is a grouping of 9 shots that I made the next day. The two fliers were the first two shots I took, could that be from the rifle being "cold" or was it just me anticipating the recoil on my bruised shoulder? I did notice that I seem to get two different groupings, one at the 4 o'clock position and one at 7, which can be seen on both targets. Is this most likely me or could it be a result of the barrel warming up?

IMAG0065.jpg

Looks like you are off to a great start! Shoot it all the way out to 700 just if for nothing else besides dope and some fun. I took my 308 out to 400 the first week I was shooting and was very surprised at the outcome.

Dave

Not bad for just starting out.

The majority of the variations your seeing I would pretty well place on your consistency on the rifle or moreso lack there of. As you gain experience, and concentrate on having everything comfortable and set exactly the same from shot to shot much of that will go away. When your practicing if something doesn't feel right it probably isn't. Stop and correct it. If the rifle is bruising you something isn't right in your form.

Just remember it isn't just quatity of practice as much as quality of practice. Good luck and continue to enjoy it.

That group could also possibly be your body not being in a straight line with the rifle (body directly behind the rifle). When your body is cocked to the side either way your reticle will move diagonally either way across the target. When you breath the reticle should move up and down with no lateral movement.