• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Post - Eberlestock G2 and POF 308

SmokyJoe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2011
Sonoma County, CA
This is my first post here on the Hide.

I’ve learned a lot over the past several months combing through the incredible amount of info this site has to offer. It’s been extremely helpful as I’ve worked to set up my rig. Many thanks to those with experience to share for making SH an amazing database.

Having less experience than many of you here, I don’t have a whole lot to offer, but thought this might interest some of you who may be in the same boat.

I had been looking for a pack to double as a range bag and hunting pack. The Eberlestock line looked great, but the info I was getting seemed to indicate that my P308 wouldn’t fit in the 10” x 3” scabbard of the Gunslinger 2. My rifle is a P308 16.5” with PRS, NF F1 on AD Recon QD mount, and Atlas bipod. Overall length is 38”. The three scope turrets and longest point of the mag all align perfectly to make a circumference of 27”. 1” too big. I'm lucky that way.

Ceylon suggested that I could load without the mag, or go with a 10rd, and so I ordered the G2 from him and some 10rd PMags from Midwest PX. Ceylon, by the way, redefines customer service. He’s as dialed in as anyone I’ve dealt with in a long time. If all American businesses operated at his level, we’d be looking at China in the rear view for a long time to come.

When the pack arrived I was surprised to learn that the whole deal, with LR20 Pmag, fits the scabbard perfectly.

Inserting the rifle is easy with the grip on the top of the pack. Wearing the pack, loaded, I can reach back and pull the rifle up and out although it’s almost as fast to shed the pack and then pull the rifle.

I am slightly concerned about how this pack feels when loaded, and whether the load center will be too far back or not. It passes the 5 min test no problem. I am going to take it hiking up in the mountains this weekend and will add to this post regarding how it balances out for me.

Some pics:

Fully inserted, leaves about 6" exposed:
Eberlestock_G2_P308_16-1.jpg

Close up of scabbard:

Eberlestock_G2_P308_16-2.jpg

Re: First Post - Eberlestock G2 and POF 308

you'll be fine hiking with them. They are great. Just use all the straps to keep it tight.

There is a video online (youtube) showing how to properly adjust the Eberlestock pack to your body. I suggest watching it. Very informative.

Looks like a nice fit.

I guess with the 20" POF308 I'm getting I could leave the adjustable stock on it and it would still fit the pack. Would rather have the PRS on mine too though.

Looking for the right height mount for my scope. Is your NF a 50mm objective?

Looks like the ADM mount, do you have any pics around of how high the scope sits on the gun?

Thanks man, good to know it fits and have heard those packs are great

I have an Operator. And I LOVE it. The most well designed, comfortable pack I ever worn in 22 years of service.

I got mine on here from Linton Outdoors. Customer service like no other!

Yes, the F1 is 50mm. With the ADM Recon mount, on this rifle, the centerline of the scope is +/- 3.1" above the centerline of the bore. Clearance of the bell to the top rail is 9/32"

ADMMountNFF1-1.jpg

ADMMountNFF1-2.jpg

Yeah looks about right to me and mine will have the same rail. I bought a Burkett mount/Docter for mine also, and have a Burris XTR 6-24 for it. Still debating on fixed rings or QD mount and buis or just the offset/red dot. Leaning towards rings and offset dot. Don't have the rifle yet though, have it half paid off so far. Thanks for the info.

Whats been the best factory ammo for yours so far?

Ice, whats your barrel length on that? Also if you don't mind, whats your OAL folded, from hinge to muzzle?

Got to love those Erblestocks. Ceylon is the man to deal with too.

D.Draig, where you at in CA? That is a sweet rig.

Barrel is 22" long , OAL folded 33" , 11.25 from hinge to muzzle ; )

Ive got an operator pack because its capacity can handle a few days in the bush (I think the G2 is more of a day pack). Both have a similar internal scabard. I think they come with a top cover as well.

I havent hiked in the hills with my rifle in it yet but i have used it on other multi day treks. I use the internal scabard for heavy camping items, water etc to keep the weight close to the body - otherwise I find it hangs out a little far (even with the compression straps in). I put the lighter items in the rear compartments.

It feels bullet proof but it comes with a weight penalty compared to standard packs. DTA SRS will fit nicey I think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah looks about right to me and mine will have the same rail. I bought a Burkett mount/Docter for mine also, and have a Burris XTR 6-24 for it. Still debating on fixed rings or QD mount and buis or just the offset/red dot. Leaning towards rings and offset dot. Don't have the rifle yet though, have it half paid off so far. Thanks for the info.

Whats been the best factory ammo for yours so far? </div></div>

Best factory ammo has been the Corbon Hunter tipped DPX 168gr which is consistently about 0.5MOA. Corbon uses the Barnes TTSX bullet and it is unbelievably expensive, like 60+ kidney punches per box. I found some at $32 and bought all they had. Other than that, the Hornady TAP AMAX 168gr (red box) then FGMM, both of which are sub MOA and more reasonably priced.

Yeah I've probably seen 168's mentioned most for factory ammo out of the pof308, first time I have seen the Corbon Hunter DPX mentioned though. The wait is killing me

I just picked up the Phantom...What a piece of kit...Just awesome quality. I want to put it to use soo bad

Looks like a great setup. I am considering the G2 for my GAP-10 when it arrives.

I have put my TRG-22 with a 20" barrel and my Remington .300WM with a 26" barrel in one and used it as a range bag. I'll get some use out of it after my next deployment when I get to do some hunting and hiking in Alaska.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RELOOP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ice, is that color military green? </div></div>
Ranger green

I have one and love it as well. One quick question though: does the rifle in the scabbard limit your head movement? If I have a rifle in the back scabbard and try to look up I have to move my head around the butt of the stock. This also happens if I try to shoot from the prone position with the pack on. I may not have it adjusted right.

What is your opinion for using your G2 as a drag bag/range rifle case?

I am looking for something that I can get more use out of than the infrequent competitions or classes. The G2 or Operator look to be an option but I am left wondering if the harness compression straps would be a PITA to deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchRE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one and love it as well. One quick question though: does the rifle in the scabbard limit your head movement? If I have a rifle in the back scabbard and try to look up I have to move my head around the butt of the stock. This also happens if I try to shoot from the prone position with the pack on. I may not have it adjusted right. </div></div>

There is some of that, but not so much that it's an issue for me, even with everything cinched in tight. The PRS stock is pretty thin. In any event, I would rather the load be closer to me than further away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rockfish Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is your opinion for using your G2 as a drag bag/range rifle case?

I am looking for something that I can get more use out of than the infrequent competitions or classes. The G2 or Operator look to be an option but I am left wondering if the harness compression straps would be a PITA to deal with. </div></div>

Seems like everything has a drawback. I don't think the straps are going to be a problem. The good news is that I can fit everything I take to the range in this pack.