• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes First Post!!! Looking for a new optic for my 10FCP

BlackBird97

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2010
Hey guys, this is my first post, but I have been lurking around this site for a while and done a ton of searching around. I'm just looking for a new optic for my 10FCP .308, I really don't know what to get. I currently have a Burris 3-9x Fullfield II with the BDC reticle and I am looking to upgrade to a more advanced optic. Most of my shooting is from 100-600 yards at paper or steel targets and I only get out 2-3 times a year, maybe a little more if I'm lucky. Right now I am torn between a Super Sniper 10x and the Millett new TRS-1, not sure if I should get a fixed or a variable optic. I hear good things about both of the optics, just was hoping for an opinion from a seasoned shooter to steer me in the right direction. Money's tight now, so I have to kind of keep it in this price range. Thanks much guys, I really appreciate you're help.

EDIT: I really appreciate everybody's input. But just a little background, I am a college student now, so money is pretty damn tight. As much as I would love to go by the moto of *Pay Once, Cry Once* even paying much over $300 would be at the crying point now lol. I'm really just trying to find an *affordable* *relativity reliable/decent* optic that I can learn how to use a mildot reticle and practice shooting with. Trust me in the future I hope to have superb piece of glass, but, for now something less will have to suffice. Thanks again.

Re: First Post!!! Looking for a new optic for my 1

CounterSniper scopes. They have military contracts.

Don’t listen to Shankester, he's the Captain of a Whaling Vessel in N. Idaho.

You'll understand once you come to know him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don’t listen to Shankester, he's the Captain of a Whaling Vessel in N. Idaho.

You'll understand once you come to know him. </div></div>

I should have known I had that one coming lol

You are looking to upgrade from a Burris FF II to a Millett? Dont you mean downgrade?

Either keep your Burris, or go to the new 10x Supersniper HD. No point in going from a Burris FF II to the regular SS 10X.

For the money, Millett is a cost efficient Leupold

I am not a seasoned shooter, however I had a TRS with a mildot from Millett. It was a 4-16x50 I liked it alot but I was not to impressed with the parrallax adjustment knob on the side. It was large and seemed hard to adjust. I currently bought another millett to replace that scope. It was the Buck Gold series 4-16x56 with Mildot. It is a really clear optic and in my opinion for the money its a real nice quality optic. They retail for 279.00 on riflescopes.com which is where I bought mine.

Re: For the money, Millett is a cost efficient Leupold

I think the Burris glass is excellent,I just don't like the BDC reticle. I figured since I am a novice long distance shooter,I would just try to find an intermediate optic that would allow me to learn the concepts and forms of this type of shooting without breaking the bank. I didn't realize that Millett was such frowned upon scope, what makes them so terrible? I had read that the 2009 version of the TRS-1 had fixed many of it's previous flaws, that perked my interest in that optic. Again, thanks for your input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlackBird97</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I didn't realize that Millett was such frowned upon scope, what makes them so terrible? </div></div>

100% Chinese made; strike one; poor QC, strike two; owned by Bushnell with piss poor customer service now, strike three, outta here

I have a TRS-1, I am very pleased with it. The glass is good, not stellar, the adjustment range is good, the features many. It is a chinese scope. Apparently, I got a good one.
I would recommend two other options if you are looking for a mil-dot scope and are scared of the horror stories concerning Millet.
The Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 mil-dot, which has excellent glass, but you will need an angled base, or the Mueller Tac-2, which also has excellent glass, but more than enough elevation to take you out to 1K yards without an angled base but max power is 10x. Both of these scopes come in under 300 bucks and are excellent buys.
FWIW, I would buy another Millet if I was looking to set up glass on a budget and wanted the magnification. I also own a Mueller Tac-2, it is my favourite hunting scope.

Hello Blackbird97, thank you for your interest in Millett optics. The TRS-1 is an excellent scope and a good value. We also have this in the .1mil version. Feel free to contact Bushnell, 1-800-423-3537, and we would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Thank You

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Originally Posted By: BlackBird97I didn't realize that Millett was such frowned upon scope, what makes them so terrible?

100% Chinese made; strike one; poor QC, strike two; owned by Bushnell with piss poor customer service now, strike three, outta here</div></div>

lol Tell us how you really feel!

Re: For the money, Millett is a cost efficient Leu

For the money you are looking to spend I would look at the Vortex Viper as well, best warranty on the market. Contact Scott at Liberty Optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you are torn between the SS 10x42 and the Millet, I'd say the choice is easy...SS 10x42 </div></div>

I'd recommend something Liberty Optics sells. You know you're in good hands when a optics dealer advises you to pick something up he DOESN'T sell.

My $.02,
LM

Send your scop back to Burris and have them put on the TAC-2 knobs. Its like $80 bucks. Take a look at the FFII tactical modle its the same knobs they use on them......

I have a 10x42 SS HD on my 308 and I happy with it. For the money im very impressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: floridaboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Send your scop back to Burris and have them put on the TAC-2 knobs. Its like $80 bucks. Take a look at the FFII tactical modle its the same knobs they use on them...... </div></div>

I had considered that, I just wanted to start learning how to use MilDots, and sadly my scope has the BDC reticle.