• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

First "precision" build...on a budget

alnitak

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2012
Well, I've been hanging out on the forum, reading about builds, asking questions, searching the classifieds, trying to decide on the right first build, given my limited budget. I decided on a Savage model 10 P-SR in .308 Win, with tactical bolt handle, 18" bull barrel, threaded, and 5R rifling. Added were the 10-round magazines compatible with the factory DBM and an extended mag release, both from Dark Eagle and 20 MoA Weaver rail. A Falcon Menace 4-14x44mm FFP mil/mil scope, with BC lens caps, sitting in 30mm medium Seekins rings completed this low-budget build.

It still has a ways to go, but a good enough start for now. I have a Ross Shuler muzzle brake that is being kerakoted black, which I will install with a crush washer until I can get a suppressor for the rifle. A Harris S-BRM bipod and Triad modular stock pack are planned, along with a replacement stock. Would love to get a McMillan M40 stock, but it's not in the budget. So probably will go with the Stockade Stock, Woodchuck model.

So, what else do I need to consider, either in addition to or instead of?

alnitak said:
So, what else do I need to consider, either in addition to or instead of?

A case of Federal Gold Medal Match or other suitable match ammo from Hornady, Southwest Ammo, Copper Creek, BHA, etc.

That looks to be a nearly exact copy of the "1000 yards for $1000" rifle that Military Arms Channel on Youtube has done a couple videos on.

A case of Federal Gold Medal Match or other suitable match ammo from Hornady, Southwest Ammo, Copper Creek, BHA, etc.

That looks to be a nearly exact copy of the "1000 yards for $1000" rifle that Military Arms Channel on Youtube has done a couple videos on.

LOL...no money left for a case of ammo, but do have several boxes of FGMM.

I have not seen those videos...will have to check them out. This rifle, as shown (plus the muzzle brake), came in just a few dollars under $1k. I guess great minds think alike. ;-)

Last edited:
Nice! How do you like the Dark Eagle mags?

I have not been to the range yet, but so far, the mags seem great! Fit is perfect and they seem to function with no issues, just from cycling through a couple mags to test them out. I really like the extended mag release as well.

I like it just like it is.
Simple yet purposeful.
Add your stock pack and bipod and call it good for now.

Very nice. I just finished my savage 11 .308 build but used my old scope(Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50) and was thinking of that exact scope you have let us know what you think of it

Thanks all. I hope to get to the range tomorrow, though not sure my meager skills will do this rifle justice. However, I am pleased with it so far.

I've heard the scope is decent for the money, and I got a good deal on a like new scope (used 1-2 times), so I went in this direction versus, say, a Primary Arms. I just don't have the coin for a $500-$1000 scope right now. I figured that if nothing else, it will introduce me to mil/mil and FFP. Worse comes to worse, I'll put it on a Ruger 10/22.

Thanks all. I hope to get to the range tomorrow, though not sure my meager skills will do this rifle justice. However, I am pleased with it so far.

I've heard the scope is decent for the money, and I got a good deal on a like new scope (used 1-2 times), so I went in this direction versus, say, a Primary Arms. I just don't have the coin for a $500-$1000 scope right now. I figured that if nothing else, it will introduce me to mil/mil and FFP. Worse comes to worse, I'll put it on a Ruger 10/22.

Exactly, when I decided to try FFP mil/mil, it was with a Falcon Menace 4-14.
I actually used the falcon and a savage 10PC in a basic sniper course.
I don't use the falcon much anymore, but when I do, I continue to be amazed at the clarity of the glass, the repeatability of the adjustments and the overall value.

If you like the scope so much why did you change it for something else? Just wondering because my Falcon Menace 5.5-25 will be delivered Tuesday. I found a great deal on one with rings from another member here. It will be going on my Savage 11.308 build

I'm kinda interested in what you think of your Falcon Menace scope, as far as repeatability, overall quality, etc. I'm considering purchasing the same one for my Rem 700 SPS Tactical .308. Would love a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 ffp, but I'm on some rather strict budget constraints for the time being.

I'm kinda interested in what you think of your Falcon Menace scope, as far as repeatability, overall quality, etc. I'm considering purchasing the same one for my Rem 700 SPS Tactical .308. Would love a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 ffp, but I'm on some rather strict budget constraints for the time being.

Had mine for Several Years now and been used as starter scope on four different rifles now. Always been true and reliable. Very Sturdy Built and Good Glass for the money. I love the B20 Reticle which reminds me of the USO Reticles. For the money it is a very good value. I believe they also have a new verison of the 4-14x44mm with Illuminated B20 as well. I will be picking one up soon from SWFA to give it test run.

Had mine for Several Years now and been used as starter scope on four different rifles now. Always been true and reliable. Very Sturdy Built and Good Glass for the money. I love the B20 Reticle which reminds me of the USO Reticles. For the money it is a very good value. I believe they also have a new verison of the 4-14x44mm with Illuminated B20 as well. I will be picking one up soon from SWFA to give it test run.

Thanks HOGTOOTH5R, that's good to hear. I was hoping so, as it certainly seems to be one of the best bang-for-the-buck scopes out there. And, yes they do have the illuminated B20 reticule now, and it's only $50 more than the standard version. I think I just might be able to squeeze one of those into the budget.

I'm no Savage fan (no particular reason), but I could be turned... that is a very nice set-up. I handled a .223 Savage, w/heavy barrel and tactical stock, and would have bought it too, lord knows the prices was right (less than $600). But I was looking for a.30-06 platform at the time.

Nice rig! I have two savages that are my go to in 308 (started life as a flcpk and a 22-250

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

How do you like it so far? Have you had a chance to mount it up and shoot with it yet?

I love it so far but I've never used mils or looked into them so it was a learning process but seemed to track perfectly from 20-100yds and back. Glass seemed very clear. Maybe not as clear as my VX-1 BUT it is still very good even at high magnification. The only thing I wasn't crazy about is I had to buy a new case because with the FFP and side parallax it wouldn't fit in my soft case. I stopped on by my one of my local gun shops that I frequent and picked up a great condition used Plano Gun Guard hard case. I pulled the foam up and found a full case of CCI shot shells .22, Coleman firestarter, .22 bore snake and some BSA Sweet .22 scope caps. I only paid $40 for the case
u3adu7ed.jpg
amahyhaq.jpg
atu4u3e4.jpg

Last edited:
I love it so far but I've never used mils or looked into them so it was a learning process but seemed to track perfectly from 20-100yds and back. Glass seemed very clear. Maybe not as clear as my VX-1 BUT it is still very good even at high magnification. The only thing I wasn't crazy about is I had to buy a new case because with the FFP and side parallax it wouldn't fit in my soft case. I stopped on by my one of my local gun shops that I frequent and picked up a great condition used Plano Gun Guard hard case. I pulled the foam up and found a full case of CCI shot shells .22, Coleman firestarter, .22 bore snake and some BSA Sweet .22 scope caps. I only paid $40 for the case
u3adu7ed.jpg
amahyhaq.jpg
atu4u3e4.jpg

That's good to hear. Super-nice deal on the case!!

That's good to hear. The scope looks great on your rifle. Super-nice deal on the case!!

Last edited: