• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First precision handloading - 6.5cm vs 260

ChemE1975

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2012
California
I'm on the verge of getting a new precision rifle and I aim to hand load for it. I've read countless threads and articles about the different 6.5mm calibers. I've ruled out the 6,5x47 as the new rifle is an AIAE and i understand there is a pierced primer issue with this caliber and AI rifles.

What I have failed to learn so far is whether the 6.5cm or 260 will be better, from a hand loading perspective in terms of ease/forgiveness for an inexperienced precision hand loader? I am framiliar with the component (brass) availability...that you can get lapua brass for 260 and only hornady or soon nosler for 6.5cm. I am also framiliar with the available loaded ammunition for both. Lastly, I do have experience reloading for pistol (10k+ rounds) and just a bit with semi auto 223 (just plinking, not precision).

So, is there an advantage with either cartridge for the new precision hand loader?

First precision handloading - 6.5cm vs 260

Lapua brass
139-142gr bullet
CCI-200
42.0-43.5gr H4350

Find yer OCW, tune seating depth, go shoot. 43.0gr is a good load with a 140 in many many rifles (is in mine).

No idea about reloading Creedmoor, but its probably similar.

So, is there an advantage with either cartridge for the new precision hand loader?

No none, the level of skills that it takes to handload one, requires the same level of skills for the other. The only issues between to two you already know: Brass and factory ammo; both availability and cost, differ somewhat between the two. Downrange performance is the same.

.260 all the way. For some reason if you can't find .260 brass you can make it from .243, 7-08 or .308 with little difficulty. You can with the CM too but shoulder angle makes it more difficult. With moderate loads you can get a zillion reloads out of Lapua brass..it's that good. The Creedmore is a cool round no doubt but the differences between the two are so little downrange why not go with the easier to find and load round?

thanks for the replies. i do not anticipate (never say never, right) necking down or up from 243, 308, etc. with either i plan to use of the shelf components.

i do have a follow up question (putting all else aside besides the hand loading aspects) is there an advantage beginning with 308 vs 6.5/260 for the beginning precision hand loader? I could see a slight advantage in terms of the sheer volume of knowledge out there for the 308, but what about in terms of just the mechanics? and also one being more forgiving/finicky than the other?

From my experience with 260 and 308, the 308 is not finicky as a cartridge at all. My 260 started off great and got better the hotter the loads. As far as 6.5CM, my 260 has beat both my shooting partners in both gnats ass accuracy and about 130 fps in velocity. The 6.5CM didn't seem to be picky, but the 260 was easier to dial in a load. That is coming from comparison of how long it took us to get our loads for three rifles and three shooters of about equal skill, me being about in the middle to lower end.

I have a 6x47, and in the process of having a 6.5x47 built as well. I have yet to have issues with pierced primers, but I am not shooting from a AIAE either. That said, if I were forced to decide between the 6.5 Creedmoor or the 260 Remmy, I'd take the 260 remmy on a few fronts.
A) the brass is not proprietary
B) as mentioned before, outside the 6 manufacturers of 260 brass, you can always make 260 from 243, 7-08 and 308. That said, Lapua brass at a $1 a piece is a decent investment.

In terms of powder, velocity, and capacity, there is little difference, with a slight nod going to the 260 , but I don't think that equates into accuracy.