• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Rimfire Target Rifle Complete! Rem597 Custom

USMCj

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2008
Nazzifornia
Ever since I got my Rem597, I have been wanting to upgrade it to a Target rifle to keep up with all of the custom 10/22's out there. The lack of custom parts were getting to me, I almost gave up trying to find a match barrel for the 597, but the little voice in my head told me not to give up.

Last week I scored a Boyds unfinished laminate stock off of Gunbroker.com which had a bull barrel channel. So I knew no matter what I had to have a bull barrel on this rifle. I googled for days until I found NiceShotLLC.com. Long story short, they had Volquartsen do a special run of their disconinued SS Bull Match barrel for them and had some left over, so I ordered that and the Volquartsen extractor from them. I had already installed a Volq. target hammer a while back.

I finished the stock a couple of days ago, and today FedEx showed up with the barrel and extractor.

I got everything installed and hit the local indoor range to sight it in and see how it shoots. I only had some Federal bulk (Wally World) 36gr ammo, so the real range report will have to wait until I get my hands on some Wolf match ammo. It kept shooting 1/4" 10 shot groups at 100 feet (max distance at this range) So the barrel is a shooter. I wonder how well it will do with match ammo at 50 yards.

Here are some pics, please dont mind the scope, its junk and will be replaced soon with a scope a SH member is sending me from the PAY IT FORWARD thread.

Here are some crappy pics, let me know what you guys think.

DSC03248.jpg

DSC03250.jpg

DSC03253.jpg

DSC03256.jpg

USMCj

Re: First Rimfire Target Rifle Complete! Rem597 Custom

VERY nice. I've always liked the Boyd stocks. My Volquartsen barreled 10/22 shoots stupid good w/ cheap Federal 510's.

Keith

Thanks guys. The rifle has been pretty reliable. Once in a while the last round in the mag will fail to feed. But other than that it's been good.

By fail to feed I mean the bolt won't strip the last round out of the mag.

That rifle there is looking sexy! Post some groups when you shoot it.

Thanks! I will as soon as I can get my hands on some Wolf Match ammo.