• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First shot precision?

benchrester

Private
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2012
Cody, Wy
Have recently started to shoot my savage m12 204r in a local comp. It starts at 200 yds, one shot at a score target, about 1.5" 25pt center. Then ten shots on another. No sighters or flags. Off bench, rest. Some hit 25 on first shot, some not, including me-not. Got a 23 one week, a 22 next. First was wind, second was 2" high. I have sighted in dead on in previous practice session, 5 t0 1 day before the match. Is this a caliber, barrel thing? Don't clean, btw. Have been thinking about dropping off at the gravel pit and firing a shot 1 hr before the match starts. Guess this would be cheating. The other guys wouldn't do this---would they?

Just asking, is this a common problem? Correctable? Any tips?
Thanks, Ron

Re: First shot precision?

Go shoot it. I shot a 1" 3 shot group at 200 yards with first shot cold the other day.

You need to figure out what it will do. You can't ask someone else what it is capable of.

Some guns will be nuts on first shot, others might be off first shot or two. Some don't like to be cleaned and will shoot different cleaned than not.

Like DernHumpus posted above, every gun is different. Learn what yours like and pay attention and keep track of it. That cold bore shot is a good place to get a lot of points, that is why they have that shot in the match. The guys that know their guns and can get that perfect first round hit are usually the ones you'll see at the top of the win list.

Good luck

Topstrap

Get a good data book going. I have running logs of my clean cold bore shots and cold bore shots. I know my rifle's tendencies and that helps me. I make sure to try and aim with the slight variance from time-to-time based off my data and see if I can hit dead-on. So far it's pretty predictable.

I have found that some rifles are just more consistent in a cold bore situation than others. A fouled bore seems to help. You may find that your cold bore shot does not impact the same spot as a warm bore, but maybe it does so consistently so that you can adjust for it. Take the rifle to the range a few days in a row and see what it does cold bore each day.

When you get to the match can you dry fire? A lot of times it's the shooter and not the gun. Try dry firing as much as possible if permitted once you get to the match. I bet your scores will improve.

Clean cold bores can and probably will vary from the next few shots. My rifles have no variance on a cold bore shot when it is already fouled.

Thanks, guys for the input. Am going to test that first cold bore shot some more and hopefully see some consistency. I am new to this type of comp, so not expecting to come out on top until I can figure things out, like first shot poi, going from 200 to 400yds, then back to 100yds. Still testing powder/bullets/scope also. Last time, we went to 400yds after 200yds. I had some input from the guys, so held at top of target Couldnt see a hole, so tried other poaim. 12 shots, couln't see any holes, obviously lost. target in, 5 holes. Those little 20 cal holes are sure hard too see. Using my old 20x45 B&L Discoverer too. This is a whole new, and challenging game, compared to point blank benchrest, which I have shot for 20 years. I'm hoping I can compete without entering the BLACK HOLE of equipment race, etc. Either way I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Thanks again. Ron

I have found cold shooters are usually half the problem. In fact on my br rifle, after setting up i take 3 sighter shots before i go to the score target. I beleive this settles the rest/bag and my nerves, then i try to get 5 shots off in as little time as possible, a la runner group. Typically i can get 5Rds off in 20 secs, single feeding. Bought my testing in several different barrels, cut and button , in several calibers, 223,6 br, 243, 6.5cm, have shown 50-110fps difference in cold clean bore velocity and fouled bore velocity. In other words, if u can't have sighters make sure ur bore is fouled. Also tamp down the sand in the bags and slide the rifle back and forth. The rifle needs to break free with no effort. I prefer cordura/fiberglass or leather/wood combos. Like others have said map ur cold fouled bore shot and practice good bench manners that i suggested. Shooting from a benchrest isn't as easy as some beleive it is here

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6brshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have found cold shooters are usually half the problem. </div></div>

I <span style="text-decoration: underline">completely</span> agree.....except I think it is more than "half".
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jethro3898</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6brshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have found cold shooters are usually half the problem. </div></div>

I <span style="text-decoration: underline">completely</span> agree.....except I think it is more than "half".
smile.gif

</div></div>

+2 it is an issue with my Rem 5R milspec as well as my Savage model 10.

That is why I bring a lighter to my matches. I just wave it under the barrel for about 5 minutes until it heats up.

grin.gif

In all honesty, the coldbore might have some to do with it, as well as it being your first actual squeeze of the trigger. I'd also try to get a dry fire or two in there before your match. It's tantamount to a "warm up," batting practice, etc...