• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First time stretching the legs a bit, pics...

Twisted

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2009
NW Oregon
www.twistedfirearms.com
Not sure where to post this or if it is ok but just wanted to share. I'm just getting into this long distance accuracy thing so I'm still learning a lot. This was my first trip to see how the rifle works past 100 yards.

Was such a nice day that I took my rifle and gear to work so I could hit the range right after and get the new scope dialed in. Started on the 100 yard range just to set my zero and then headed to the big bore range.

All set up on the bench, ready to do work.
shooting32609-1.jpg

Targets are at 300 yards,
shooting32609-2.jpg

Got dialed in on the left target then put 5 shots on the right target without adjusting. Looked good through the spotting scope, don't look too bad up in the air when I went to check.
shooting32609-3.jpg

Lookin beter.
shooting32609-4.jpg

Blackberry Pearl for size reference.
smile.gif

shooting32609-5.jpg

And the target as it will be hung in my office. I was at 5.5 MOA adjustment, does that sound about right?
shooting32609-6.jpg

Needless to say I am a happy camper with this setup so far.

Re: First time stretching the legs a bit, pics...

Nice shooting.
smile.gif
Its fun isn't it?

As to whether your dope was right... it looks pretty good. Judging by your group, you could stand to come down 1 or 2 clicks if you are continuing to have the majority of your impacts high of center.

I'd hang that puppy up too. Nice shootin. By the looks of your target if your scope adjustment is 1/4 moa clicks, I'd adjust down 1 click (like orkan said). That should be a 3/4" adjustment at 300 yards.

Whats the specs on your rifle? If its bone stock dont change a damn thing, 1/3moa is nothing to mess with. Hell I would probably wear the same underwear to matches as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the specs on your rifle? If its bone stock dont change a damn thing, 1/3moa is nothing to mess with. Hell I would probably wear the same underwear to matches as well. </div></div>

Hahaha, tell me about it. I'm real nervous now about threading it for the suppressor as it seems to work as it is. But the original intent was to build a suppressed bolt gun.

It is basically stock, just a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308, AZ Precision did the bolt knob, Rock Mount bipod, EGW 20moa base, Seekins rings, Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x0 (M1/TMR), and Eagle stock pack.

And the handloads are just as basic, mixed once or twice fired brass, Winchester primer, Varget, and 168 SMK's.

I keep looking at the target on my desk and grinning. I'm gonna head back to the range in the next few days and do it again just to prove to myself its not a fluke.

Very nice shooting for 300 yards group. That's a keeper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the specs on your rifle? If its bone stock dont change a damn thing, 1/3moa is nothing to mess with. Hell I would probably wear the same underwear to matches as well. </div></div>

Yep don't even wash em. I don't know if I would thread it for a suppressor or not. It will change the barrel harmonics. It might shoot as well or better. My AI AW shoots a little better with the jet suppressor installed. Helluva group though. Keep grinning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the specs on your rifle? If its bone stock dont change a damn thing, 1/3moa is nothing to mess with. Hell I would probably wear the same underwear to matches as well. </div></div>

Hahaha, tell me about it. I'm real nervous now about threading it for the suppressor as it seems to work as it is. But the original intent was to build a suppressed bolt gun.

It is basically stock, just a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308, AZ Precision did the bolt knob, Rock Mount bipod, EGW 20moa base, Seekins rings, Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x0 (M1/TMR), and Eagle stock pack.

And the handloads are just as basic, mixed once or twice fired brass, Winchester primer, Varget, and 168 SMK's.

I keep looking at the target on my desk and grinning. I'm gonna head back to the range in the next few days and do it again just to prove to myself its not a fluke. </div></div>

Definitely proving that you don't have to have a 5K stick to shoot sub MOA. I am sure the triggerman has alot to do with that grouping also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I keep looking at the target on my desk and grinning. I'm gonna head back to the range in the next few days and do it again just to prove to myself its not a fluke.</div></div>

What ever you do dont fire another group to prove anything!! Just go out, hit stuff and point to that target if anyone asks.

Went back out to the same range today to try and verify it wasn't a fluke and attempt to get a CBS zero. Groups are not nearly as impressive but still very sub MOA. 5 shot groups were close to the same but seemed to get one flier in every group. I'm blaming it on me though and not the rifle. I was having a hard time for some reason today.

I think part of it may be that I only had the 3" targets on white paper and honestly they were harder to center on. The 6" targets almost seemed to center themselves in the TMR reticles.

Not discouraged at all and will be going back out again soon, within a week or so, to do it again and get more practice. I need to find some more varget and bullets.
smile.gif

regardless id kill for some groups like that at that distance!

hopefully soon ill get a 5 shot group close to yours with my 223 AR

good shooting, keep it up!

Good stuff! I hope to be able to shoot like that someday. Threads like this get me pretty excited about getting started.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jv101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">regardless id kill for some groups like that at that distance!

hopefully soon ill get a 5 shot group close to yours with my 223 AR

good shooting, keep it up! </div></div>

Thanks, I'm still new to this game as ths is my first bolt rifle and I have well under 200 rounds through it. Still lots of room for learning and improvement.

I have an AR also that I built for yote hunting that I need to take out there and see what kind of groups it will shoot. I've used it in some "sniper" matches in the past before I got the bolt gun.

896677580113_0_BG.jpg

looking good!

I have a savage 10fp .308 (that is for sale) and i also have a bushmaster varminter .223 that i just topped with a SH IOR 3-18 FFP scope!... im looking for my AR to max at 500 yards! Main reason im selling the .308 is to pay off the scope haha!

ive never shot my savage past 200 yards and have only shot my AR out to 300 with some crappy ammo and could hit a 6-8" box 5 out of 5 times! my father was like ill shit if you hit it first shot, well first shot it was about 1.5" to the left! but dead center! Ive got some black hills 68gr match coming soon so im excited to see if that livens the gun up some!

edit: later on i do plan to get either another .308 or some other longer distant round, that will either be another savage or a Rem. 700 ill dump some $$$ into!

Nice shooting. I saw an sps tac at the store the other day. Nice looking gun but the stock seemed a little too flimsy for my taste. I'm quite happy with my 10fp w/HS precision stock, need optics for it yet, but I hope it shoots as well as yours!

Tri-county gun glub...... Awesome

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whitefeather-RIP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tri-county gun glub...... Awesome </div></div>

Yup, been shooting practical rifle matches out there for a little while now and finally paid to become a member a few weeks ago. My local range is only 100 yards and wanted access to someplace with a little more distance. Its a bit of a drive from my house but worth it.

Where are you from. I shoot up there at their "sniper" matches. Although a bit on the safety Nazi side of things. Usually a very challenging match. Who is going to do your threading?

Jason

Very nice. That load is a keeper.

Now you get to lay down and repeat that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strictlyRUM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where are you from. I shoot up there at their "sniper" matches. Although a bit on the safety Nazi side of things. Usually a very challenging match. Who is going to do your threading?

Jason </div></div>

We have probably met then cause I have shot each of the sniper matches for the last couple/few years.