• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Fix grind marks on top of barrel?

SunuvaButch

TRUMP2024
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2018
West by God
Just picked up a fluted 7 stw today and some jackass ground into the top side of the barrel about an 1/8 inch for some reason I'll never know!!!! Maybe a level of some sort? Anyways, is there a way to "repair" or hide this? Was thinking turning the barrel down maybe? It's about an m24 contour. Any help at all appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3373.JPG
    IMG_3373.JPG
    241.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3374.JPG
    IMG_3374.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3375.JPG
    IMG_3375.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: Marky676
If there are no text/markings on the barrel, you could set it back half a thread pitch so the grind marks are facing down.

Personally, I'd just leave it as is since it won't be very noticeable with a scope over it.

If there are no text/markings on the barrel, you could set it back half a thread pitch so the grind marks are facing down.

Personally, I'd just leave it as is since it won't be very noticeable with a scope over it.
That's kind of what I was thinking. But even w the scope over it the marks would drive me insane knowing they were there. Ugh!!

Put a scope on it and shoot it, then decide. why waste money! Barrel could be a dud.

Finish grinding it down to a more finished look. Then, unless it's one of your only guns, you'll forget about it.

Ouch. That's the space where you now personalize the barrel with monogram Initials.

Last edited:
It was probably done because the scope caps or the scopebell touched the barrel and instead of buying new rings, notched the barrel.
I have done that.
Learn to think out of the box will make life easier for you.

Reactions: smoothy8500
really? is this a safe queen? Or hunting rifle that will see 10rds a year thought it?

If you actually shoot then it's just a consumable. shoot it out then replace it with a new barrel.

Like jb weld? Lol
No, Like TIG weld. If you know what you're doing it will be totally invisible after Cerakote. This is how I would fix it, but I know what I'm doing.
1519607659743.png

Last edited:
No, Like TIG weld. If you know what you're doing it will be totally invisible after Cerakote. This is how I would fix it, but I know what I'm doing.

Tig'ing one one side of a 416R barrel, just in front of a chamber is not something I would do, nor recommend. Probably would be fine, but I don't think it's worth the risk.

I’d never put that kind of heat to a barrel personally. The finishing work to blend it wouldn’t even be worth the effort imo.

I wish I was handy enough, I used to weld but I'm afraid as long as it's been of really Fucking something up. The struggle is real...

Awe hell, just send that pieceashit to me for proper disposal. I'm licensed. Promise.

Reactions: SunuvaButch
Yes, it's definitely ALOT of blending, grinding and polishing. It's not something I would pay someone else to do, but would do myself. Very labor intensive. It would be a cosmetic weld, and I don't think it would hurt the barrel, especially safety wise. I've welded up receivers with no problem. I welded the receiver on this Remington Rolling Block Scheutzen that I built. This gun started as nothing but a rusted receiver found in a barn.
1519608274897.png

Reactions: 300sniper
Yes, it's definitely ALOT of blending, grinding and polishing. It's not something I would pay someone else to do, but would do myself. Very labor intensive. It would be a cosmetic weld, and I don't think it would hurt the barrel, especially safety wise. I've welded up receivers with no problem. I welded the receiver on this Remington Rolling Block Scheutzen that I built. This gun started as nothing but a rusted receiver found in a barn.
View attachment 6878076

Buddy, no shit, that thing is one absolutely BEAUTIFUL rifle. Kudos. You're an artist.

It was probably done because the scope caps or the scopebell touched the barrel and instead of buying new rings, notched the barrel.
I have done that.
Learn to think out of the box will make life easier for you.
It was something about a level of some sort.

Reactions: Marky676
Did you buy the rifle or are you installing this barrel on a different receiver? Do you know where that spot is going to be when you get the barrel installed and correctly headspaced?

Did you buy the rifle or are you installing this barrel on a different receiver? Do you know where that spot is going to be when you get the barrel installed and correctly headspaced?
It is currently installed on a rifle I bought today.

I assume it's spaced correctly, as it's a tack driver...

It is currently installed on a rifle I bought today.
Then I think you have two options. Both of them have already been suggested. You can leave it alone or you can have that rib milled so the notch looks neater. Maybe find a scope the right size to fit into the new neater notch.

Then I think you have two options. Both of them have already been suggested. You can leave it alone or you can have that rib milled so the notch looks neater. Maybe find a scope the right size to fit into the new neater notch.
I'm gonna see if a smith locally may turn t down a couple contours. It's a fat bitch!

Personally I would have dove tailed in a small sliver of steel and blended it in....would have been nearly seamless.

I’de be surprised of bedding compound stays in there for long

Reactions: buffalowinter
Is there even a filler that will take the cure temperature? Looks a lot like the OP is pissing up a rope to me.