• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fix It Sticks - kit worth it?

Behyot

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2018
Morrison, CO
I'm considering getting a set of Fix It Sticks, trying to decide if I should just get the torque limiters and basic bit set which is what I want it for or if I should get a more full kit like the works or duo. Anyone have any input on whether the other tools are worth it from them?

I love mine. I have the kit with variable litter and another that has about four limiters that I supplemented with some more attachments and put a set of small Allen keys in there too. Saved my ass several times when out in the woods with no real tools. Highly recommend. CS is good too.

I have the older kit with the different sizes of limiters and bits and then added in a few wiha extended bits. If I were looking now I would get the newer all in one kit that they have for $115 and add the specific bits my guns need from wiha. Either way I love my fix it sticks kit.

I have added so many specific limiters, extensions, and bits that the original case is long gone. I prefer the Fix It Sticks over other offerings available. Easy, repeatable, and almost impossible to mess up.
Don’t care for the single adjustable limiter.
Great for teaching newbies and maintaining an array of rifles and equipment.

Reactions: Behyot
What issues do you have with the single adjustable? I have a few individual limiters and thinking on the adjustable.

What issues do you have with the single adjustable? I have a few individual limiters and thinking on the adjustable.

I'm considering getting the single adjustable one too, it looks handy too have for all an purpose one. I like the simplicity of the individual limiters though so would like a few of those for some of the things I'd use a lot.

I'm trying to decide if things like the cleaning tools and disassembly tools are worth it too.

I’d say they are as good if not a little better than the FAT, as the values are easier to “set”.

For what it’s worth. I break out this when it matters:
image.jpg

My thought process on choosing the individual limiters over the single all in one was based off concern with consistency. With the limiters I get the same torque every time. Grab the 15 and turn until it slips.

I have not used the all in one but my understanding of how it works is you turn until the lines match up. To me it might be faster but not as consistent. There is no stop or “click“ when you get to the desired torque.

Just my .02 cents

Reactions: Baron23
My thought process on choosing the individual limiters over the single all in one was based off concern with consistency. With the limiters I get the same torque every time. Grab the 15 and turn until it slips.

I have not used the all in one but my understanding of how it works is you turn until the lines match up. To me it might be faster but not as consistent. There is no stop or “click“ when you get to the desired torque.

Just my .02 cents

agreed but not as bad as the alternative which is nothing plus gives the option of relatively getting something close when you don’t have a real torque wrench. I carry the all in one in my field bag which already has enough stuff in it plus I don’t have to fiddle with a bunch of options in the dark. I think they all have their place and more simple than the borka. Really can’t say enough about how much I like them.

agreed but not as bad as the alternative which is nothing plus gives the option of relatively getting something close when you don’t have a real torque wrench. I carry the all in one in my field bag which already has enough stuff in it plus I don’t have to fiddle with a bunch of options in the dark. I think they all have their place and more simple than the borka. Really can’t say enough about how much I like them.

I guess I didn’t look at in that way. Makes sense though. I agree 100 percent that either way is going to be worth it and should be a must have.

I have a love/hate with them. On the one hand they are very convenient, fast, and easy to use. I can pull out the torque value I need, I don't have to adjust anything, and I can use it on any hex tool I want, screwdriver, t-bar, breaker bar, etc. which makes it more flexible. The downside is by the time you amass enough of them for all your needs, they are no longer a small package and the price can easily go way over $400. I've seen them add a bunch of other tools (punches, flashlight, 1911 bushing tool, choke tube tool, etc) lately but I kind of think most are a gimmick.

Let's for example say you didn't want any of the other gun tool stuff and take the $180 duo kit, you still only get 15,25,45,65 in/lbs. Have burris signature rings or AI you need a 30 in/lb, have an MPX/MCX you need 40 in/lb, have a vortex scope you need 8 and 18 in/lb, lots of other mounts are going to require a 20 in/lb. Own an AI AT? that's 30, 35, 49, and 53 in/lb. ARC M10 rings, 50 in/lb. Own a Nightforce scope, that's the 4in/lb.

So if you own an AI AT with ARC M10 rings and a vortex scope, you now have to buy 7 extra torque adjusters, bringing your total to $460, $400 if you shop around. Plus you now have 11 torque limiters to keep track of, which won't fit into the case, so you have to drop another $40 on a larger case, and if you buy something else not in the list you are on the hook for $40 per torque value. Now I could see where it would be nice to have a kit specific to each gun in your gear, but now you are dropping probably $250 per gun to cover.

In the example above where you need 11 limiters, the borka kit could replace them all, or a $50 vortex torque screwdriver could replace most of them.

I have a love/hate with them. On the one hand they are very convenient, fast, and easy to use. I can pull out the torque value I need, I don't have to adjust anything, and I can use it on any hex tool I want, screwdriver, t-bar, breaker bar, etc. which makes it more flexible. The downside is by the time you amass enough of them for all your needs, they are no longer a small package and the price can easily go way over $400. I've seen them add a bunch of other tools (punches, flashlight, 1911 bushing tool, choke tube tool, etc) lately but I kind of think most are a gimmick.

Let's for example say you didn't want any of the other gun tool stuff and take the $180 duo kit, you still only get 15,25,45,65 in/lbs. Have burris signature rings or AI you need a 30 in/lb, have an MPX/MCX you need 40 in/lb, have a vortex scope you need 8 and 18 in/lb, lots of other mounts are going to require a 20 in/lb. Own an AI AT? that's 30, 35, 49, and 53 in/lb. ARC M10 rings, 50 in/lb. Own a Nightforce scope, that's the 4in/lb.

So if you own an AI AT with ARC M10 rings and a vortex scope, you now have to buy 7 extra torque adjusters, bringing your total to $460, $400 if you shop around. Plus you now have 11 torque limiters to keep track of, which won't fit into the case, so you have to drop another $40 on a larger case, and if you buy something else not in the list you are on the hook for $40 per torque value. Now I could see where it would be nice to have a kit specific to each gun in your gear, but now you are dropping probably $250 per gun to cover.

In the example above where you need 11 limiters, the borka kit could replace them all, or a $50 vortex torque screwdriver could replace most of them.
Your example is incorrect. I own an AT with ARC rings and a Vortex scope. You only need two, maybe one, torque limiter. One for the barrel, one for the rings (the base toque is the same as the ring torque). And 50 in/lbs is close enough for the barrel, so you can get by with just one.

Torque recommendations are just that; recommended. Consistency is key here, more than exact foot pounds.

I love mine. I would highly recommend getting the full kit with adjustable limiter.

I'm sure they're great, but if I'm going to spend $200+ I would get a Mountz or Utica adjustable torque screwdriver and be done.

Your example is incorrect. I own an AT with ARC rings and a Vortex scope. You only need two, maybe one, torque limiter. One for the barrel, one for the rings (the base toque is the same as the ring torque). And 50 in/lbs is close enough for the barrel, so you can get by with just one.

Torque recommendations are just that; recommended. Consistency is key here, more than exact foot pounds.

Depending on how comfortable you are fudging the torque across parts that's true there is some overlap, and a lot of us don't care about using a torque wrench on things like stock parts etc. However as stocks get more fancy/adjustable, it might be a factor in long term use. I've seen plenty of fancy expensive trap gun very adjustable stocks ruined by ham fisted users.

I think the point stands though that if you want to cover multiple items/guns the user is going to end up with more of these than a stock kits are going to cover, especially across multiple guns, scopes, mounts etc.

I'm in a similar camp to Texasleftychef.

I picked up an all-in-one kit recently, and really like it for general use. While there's a bit more education involved in using it correctly, being able to tighten/adjust most things on a rifle to a reasonable level of accuracy in such a small package is very useful.

Limiters will always have their place, but for 95% of situations, the torque driver is great for being "in the ballpark" of acceptable torque recommendations, as long as you're paying attention to the adjustment dial.

This is what I use. All-In-One for the field pack/matches. Its super small/light, covers every torque and head Id need, and is consistent enough for our needs. Back at the shop, I have a calibrated one, but I had that prior to buying the fixit.
I do not regret my purchase at all.

I bought the All-In-One torque driver alone thinking that it would work with my existing Chapman bits. It didn't. I have a complete set of 1/4" square automotive type sockets and checked out Fix It Sticks website and purchased an adapter that fits 1/4" square bits. I recently mounted a scope and was pleased with the Torque Driver. If I did it again I'd buy the $100 kit.

I started with the Deluxe kit for $180, but if I had it to do over again I'd get the Duo kit for $240. The main reason being that while you get the same torque limiters, and you get a bunch of questionable value other gun tools, but you get the larger 4 row holder case. The Deluxe won't really hold any extra limiters as it only has 2 row holder, the Duo has the 4 row holder with 4-5 slots open for add on limiters. So if you add a couple limiters and want the larger case it's $40 more, so getting the Duo if you are going to add limiters means you are only paying like $20 for all the extra gun tools.

I started with the Deluxe kit for $180, but if I had it to do over again I'd get the Duo kit for $240. The main reason being that while you get the same torque limiters, and you get a bunch of questionable value other gun tools, but you get the larger 4 row holder case. The Deluxe won't really hold any extra limiters as it only has 2 row holder, the Duo has the 4 row holder with 4-5 slots open for add on limiters. So if you add a couple limiters and want the larger case it's $40 more, so getting the Duo if you are going to add limiters means you are only paying like $20 for all the extra gun tools.

That's kind of what I was leaning towards, I don't think I'll use much of the extra tools in the Duo or The Works kits but getting the bigger case and extra holder seems like a good value so I can expand as needed. So as long as I take advantage of a few of the extra tools it's probably worth it even though most I never will.

Last edited:
I have both the Borka and Fix it Sticks. I use my Borka a lot more.

I have both the Borka and Fix it Sticks. I use my Borka a lot more.
Why do you prefer the Borka? Those look like great kits too and I can tell a lot of people like them better, they just look more complicated to me especially if I were to ever let others use it. Maybe it's easier than it looks though, the ability to set the torque value anywhere you want would be great.

I think the advantage to the Borka, and I have the very old first generation and the newest is that you can go from 10-70 in/lbs in 1 in/lb increments with one rig. It's nice that it's made in the USA from a Hide supporter. If there's a downside to it, it's a bit more work to setup, it has to be "reset" every time you hit a torque value, and you may find some applications where having a screwdriver is nicer to work with than the "T" bar style of the Borka. One of the first things I put in my Borka kit was a 1/4" driver bit extension, because there are places where the 2-3" depth of the built in adjuster/driver is too short and the "T" can contact things or your hand on it can't get clearance.

I think the advantage to the Borka, and I have the very old first generation and the newest is that you can go from 10-70 in/lbs in 1 in/lb increments with one rig. It's nice that it's made in the USA from a Hide supporter. If there's a downside to it, it's a bit more work to setup, it has to be "reset" every time you hit a torque value, and you may find some applications where having a screwdriver is nicer to work with than the "T" bar style of the Borka. One of the first things I put in my Borka kit was a 1/4" driver bit extension, because there are places where the 2-3" depth of the built in adjuster/driver is too short and the "T" can contact things or your hand on it can't get clearance.
Every current Borka Tool Kit (BTK) comes with 2" long extension, and for extra $10, you can purchase the same kit with custom made 4" long extension and 3/16" and 5/32" hex 4" long bits for work on various chassis systems for Rem 700, etc.

Every current Borka Tool Kit (BTK) comes with 2" long extension, and for extra $10, you can purchase the same kit with custom made 4" long extension and 3/16" and 5/32" hex 4" long bits for work on various chassis systems for Rem 700, etc.

I purchased the basic torque limiter from Fix It and then added a small composite ratchet with an extension. A small amount of "bits" and I'm out for less than $100 for my rig. Wife raced NHRA Super Comp so I had a pretty good idea of how to approach my tool issues.

@Behyot you really can't go wrong with Fix It Sticks. They are quality products. Pick the one that will work best for you and you will be happy. I have the limiters and the all in one kit and use both. The all in one is nice small package for the pack.

Does anyone know the real deal here between the borka vs the fix it sticks? which one is better?

Everyone seems to recommend both, but the fix it sticks gets recommended more.

I'm leaning on the borka because its cheaper and I can fine tune my torque increments.

Which one of these kits is more accurate?I think it comes down to accuracy for me. I don't need convenience. How often are you really going to be torquing the scopes anyway?

Fix-it Sticks get more traction (I believe) because of their compact nature.

That being said, the Borka is a nice kit as well. Many keep the Borka for the bench, and the Fix-it sticks for the pack/range bag.

Which one of these kits is more accurate?I think it comes down to accuracy for me. I don't need convenience. How often are you really going to be torquing the scopes anyway?

As far as accuracy this is the best source I found:

I went with the Fix-it Sticks due to the simplicity, I love them so far but haven't really been able to use them much. The Borka looks great but just more complicated and slower than what I cared for, though I haven't actually used one myself. If you're wanting a wide range of torque increments with a single kit and only plan to use it occasionally Borka seems the better option. If you don't mind buying a bunch of their torque limiters Fix-it Sticks seem a little more accurate.

Fix-it Sticks get more traction (I believe) because of their compact nature.

That being said, the Borka is a nice kit as well. Many keep the Borka for the bench, and the Fix-it sticks for the pack/range bag.

Pretty much this for me. I'm not carrying one or the other for accuracy, it's partially a convenience thing and partially a safety thing. I kept the Borka in my range bag for ages because it filled a niche while being compact and lightweight compared to contemporary options. The trouble was that it basically takes two hands to use properly, which is fine for checking ring torque but checking action screws could be a tricky affair at the bench. I carry the Fix It Sticks All In One to the range and it strikes a perfect balance for me because I can use it one handed while checking the torque on fasteners while using the other hand to steady the rifle if need be. Accuracy wise, it seemed to be in line with the Borka and FAT Wrench so I don't have any worries there either.

I had to use it this past weekend when I was at the range zeroing one of my carbines. I got to the bench, set everything up but couldn't remember if I'd tightened the fasteners holding the base to the receiver. I broke out the All In One, a handle, and a bit, torqued the screws down to 25 in/lbs, easy peasy, while peace of mind was achieved.

As far as accuracy this is the best source I found:

I went with the Fix-it Sticks due to the simplicity, I love them so far but haven't really been able to use them much. The Borka looks great but just more complicated and slower than what I cared for, though I haven't actually used one myself. If you're wanting a wide range of torque increments with a single kit and only plan to use it occasionally Borka seems the better option. If you don't mind buying a bunch of their torque limiters Fix-it Sticks seem a little more accurate.

Based on that article I might just get the Wheeler Fat torque screw driver. Maybe I will decide in the future when I start to shoot more and want better accuracy.

Based on that article I might just get the Wheeler Fat torque screw driver. Maybe I will decide in the future when I start to shoot more and want better accuracy.
I've had the Wheeler FAT for a few years and it's been great, I was impressed with the results it got in that article. My main problem with it is I got the whole scope leveling kit which is way too big to pack around. I saw today Midway put just the basic screwdriver kit on sale for $35, that'd be a good way to go until you need something better. I'd still be just fine with only that one but I also appreciate the better quality of the Fix-it Sticks so I'm not disappointed I upgraded.

Do it. They’re amazing. I have a complete set of tools at my workbench and I still reach my for my fix it sticks just because I’m so proud to own a set. They stay in my range bag and if my previous inferior tools are any indicator of how much I’ll use these, they will definitely get me out of a bind or two at the range.

I recently picked up a Fix-It-Stick All in one driver set and it works well. My only complaint is that the toque gauge is bulky and hard to fit in some spots. I think that some longer bits would solve the problem.

Reactions: Rob01
I recently picked up a Fix-It-Stick All in one driver set and it works well. My only complaint is that the toque gauge is bulky and hard to fit in some spots. I think that some longer bits would solve the problem.

The 65 is but it still fits in the Manners mini chassis front screw. A little longer bit would make it easier. The others have fit anywhere I have needed them. Where were you having problems?

The 65 is but it still fits in the Manners mini chassis front screw. A little longer bit would make it easier. The others have fit anywhere I have needed them. Where were you having problems?
The Mag screw and trigger screws on a CZ457. I plan to get some of there longer bits to fix the problem.

Reactions: Rob01
Was just wondering if it was a chassis as they make longer attachments for chassis.