• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing fixin ta snap(Scope mounting questions)

cheddar

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
Madison, WI.
Ok...I've been looking. I hate the search function here.

I need to know the best way to mount my base, rings, and scope. I have a 10FP, Farrell base, XTR rings, Vortex scope. Should I use loctite? I had a red dot on a shotgun which came loose. I dont want that to happen again. If you use loctite, which color? How much?

Spill it guys...please. If you know of another thread, feel free to hook me up. Thanks in advance.

Re: fixin ta snap(Scope mounting questions)

use blue(semi-permaanent) loctite. Do not use red. The red is permanent and there is a good chance you will run into problems if you ever try to revove a screw that it has ben applied to. A drop down the hole is enough.

Should I use loctite on the ring screws? Is there anything I sgould do special with the base when installing? Do the rings et tightened all the way down until there are no gaps between upper and lower?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheddar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should I use loctite on the ring screws? Is there anything I sgould do special with the base when installing? Do the rings et tightened all the way down until there are no gaps between upper and lower?</div></div>

Not everyone has or uses an inch pound torque driver but this will give you an idea.

Use blue loctite around the 4 screws when mounting the base (not too much!)and tighten to 15 inch pounds each.

Tighten the XTR ring nuts to 55 inch pounds. Be sure that when mounting the rings on the rail, you push the the ring lug forward to make square contact with the rib (pressure toward the muzzle) on the rail, then tighten.

DO NOT use loctite on the ring cap screws. Tighten them to 12-15 inch pounds each.

All I have is a 1/2" drive ft/lb wrench. Don't supose anyone wants to trade? I hate to sound like an idiot but here it goes. Does particular torque measurment play a big role in repeated accuracy? Would I be screwed if I didn't torque them? If so, what does everyone use?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheddar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I have is a 1/2" drive ft/lb wrench. Don't supose anyone wants to trade? I hate to sound like an idiot but here it goes. Does particular torque measurment play a big role in repeated accuracy? Would I be screwed if I didn't torque them? If so, what does everyone use? </div></div>

A ft/lb wrench will work in a pinch, i got an inch lb torque wrench off of ebay for like 20 bucks. Yes a torque measurement plays a big role in the accuracy and also your warranty. If you crush the tube by over torquing it you might void your warranty. On badgers site i believe, they said if you didnt have a torque wrench, tighten them down snug the a quarter turn with a allen key and you should be good. 1 foot lb= 12 inch pounds

Ok, got it torqued. Blue loctite. Thanks guys!

A little info:
Farrel base- Front screw 20-25 in/lbs/rear screws 25-30 in/lbs(front screw first.
XTR rings- Hex nut is 65-100 in/lbs/ring screws are 20 in/lbs

These numbers were on the directions for each.