• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flared case mouth

Vengeful1

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2020
Texas
Never had this since reloading until joining the 6mm club. Ive tried a couole dies and both are flaring out the case mouth but I don’t know why.
It absolutely will not chamber the rds unless I trim off that outer edge.
Anybody know what gives?

Never had this since reloading until joining the 6mm club. Ive tried a couole dies and both are flaring out the case mouth but I don’t know why.
It absolutely will not chamber the rds unless I trim off that outer edge.
Anybody know what gives?

What dies are you using?

This funneling effect can happen when necking down, but I dint think you’re doing that

Reactions: Milo 2.5
Caliber is a 6BRA so no necking down or anything crazy. Its once fired lapua 6br brass. Redding 6 dasher die that the bottom rim was cut on to use for bra.
Its not the seating die as its happening at some stage before loading it. I didn’t notice this until that point. Ive chamfered it off but I sure as hell don’t want to do that every time.

If using a powder die, is it jamming into the case mouth/set too far down?

A friend of mine had the same issue with his BRA. Apparently any amount of flare will prevent chambering due to the tight neck chamber. Try flipping the bushing over in the sizing die. It might have a different amount of bevel On the ID and solve the problem.

Reactions: Vengeful1
A friend of mine had the same issue with his BRA. Apparently any amount of flare will prevent chambering due to the tight neck chamber. Try flipping the bushing over in the sizing die. It might have a different amount of bevel On the ID and solve the problem.
I tried flipping it over and raised the stem up more for more travel for the bushing. I think that may have fixed it.

Also, see if you can chamfer the ID of the neck with a vld chamfer tool. A regular chamfer tool cuts a 45 deg angle which induces case mouth belling to a greater degree than a vld tool with its more gentle angle.