• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flashlight for home and carry

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska
Any recommendations for a flashlight that I could get my wife for home defense and personal carry? It needs to be handy for size (fits into pocket or purse) and easy to activate under stress. Also should be very bright and durable so it could help blind an attacker if shined in his face and not quit working if dropped or hit during a scuffle.

I like the Surefire and Streamlight brands, just don't know what might be best to buy.

Re: Flashlight for home and carry

I carry a Streamlight ProTac 2L everyday in my pocket. Runs off 2 CR123 batteries and has High/Strobe/Low levels. My wife carries the ProTac 1L, same thing just a little smaller and runs off 1 battery. Hers is 110 lumens, mine is 180 lumens

I've gone thru several Surefire, Fenix, and Streamlight as far as carry goes. I have settled on the PT1L for daily pocket carry. The two cell ones are a bit much for pocket carry I think. The PT1L is plenty bright.

I have nothing against the Surefire or Fenix, just prefer the PT1L. I still have both Surefire and Fenix that I use around the house or sometimes belt carry.

I think the key is get one thats the size you want as has the features you want. I like a tailcap switch that has momentary and on/off on it. I prefer the ones that use the CR batteries as they are brighter and last longer than the AA versions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bad pickle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I carry this one but it might be a little long for a pocket

http://swfa.com/Surefire-E2D-LED-Defender-Flashlight-P44797.aspx

if a 120 lumens fail it doubles as a stiking instrument </div></div>

I agree this is a good suggestion. I have the pre-led model and it's small enough that you'll actually carry it (pocket for me) everyday. I also have the Z2-S model (with strobe) but it's probably 30% larger so I've found it just stays on the nightstand even though I would prefer to have the strobe option.

If it's a "bottom of the purse" light, then I suggest a Surefire.

If it's something she will use all the time, then take a look at some of the LedLenser lights. Their rechargeables are great. I have a M7R that I have been using on duty for a couple months. The charge lasts and it recharges fast from a USB.

If you are looking at a SureFire I would look at the Fury. It has a high of 500 and a low of 15. It is a nice bright light for a purse.

I have 2 4Sevens, a Quark Tactical(2xcr123's) for EDC and work and a Quark Turbo(2xcr123's) for "home defense" They are programable(I use 2 settings on the Turbo, MAX and Strobe). The strobe is quite nauseating at night...

They are fat due to the cr123 batteries so if wearing jeans they are snug in the pocket. However my 5.11 and Proper pants all have the pockets for a flashlight.

Pocket carry of tactical level lighting is a tough one depending on type of clothing and other EDC load. I usually change my carry load based upon potential need. Therefore during daylight hours I carry a Fenix EO5 which is only 20 lumens and have a Surefire P2X Fury 15/500 lumens in my car for night-time use. The nightstand has a Fenix TK12 with 270 lumen strobe.

I take a more pragmatic approach to flashlight selection - over 100 lumens and on sale. I usually stick with Streamlight or Surefire if I can, but I have found some high-quality aluminum Flashlights with O rings for as little as $20 from on-line battery suppliers and others, and have 3 or 4 Streamlight polymer-bodied lights, too. For purse use, you might consider something that can't be turned on accidentally. I have trouble paying north of $50 for a flashlight.

I carry a Fenix PD20 every day. It's a awesome light for pocket carry and I use it more than any other flashlight I own. For the house I use a couple SF 6P LED's and a Z2-S. I also keep X300's on my G19 and 870P. If I had a purse I would go with a 6P LED. If your wife's purse is anything like my wife's purse you'll want something that is big enough to be easily found. It would take her a month to find my PD20.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it's a "bottom of the purse" light, then I suggest a Surefire.

If it's something she will use all the time, then take a look at some of the LedLenser lights. Their rechargeables are great. I have a M7R that I have been using on duty for a couple months. The charge lasts and it recharges fast from a USB. </div></div>

+1 on the LEDLensers, they have models that use common cheap batteries, and get a long life from them. They're not all retina burning bright, but suprising for their size. I use several models and they held up to my time in the arctic, countless drops onto concrete from inches to over 15', dunks and dousings in water, methanol, glycol, diesel and atf, and probably atleast 30 activations a day in the course of a shift. Over 5 yrs between six lights (I lose stuff), but atleast two stayed with me over 3 yrs, I experienced two failures. In a single AA predecessor to the M5 model a solder joint in the bezel failed after a drop, I repaired it, and its worked flawlessly, the other was a 3 AAA model, similar to the Tac Torch, it was run over in the first week I had it by a Freightliner Classic and the threads to the bezel stripped, it still worked but the bezel would come off if struck solidly, or dropped.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are looking at a SureFire I would look at the Fury. It has a high of 500 and a low of 15. It is a nice bright light for a purse. </div></div>

Very interesting. I may need to check one of those out.

i have an early series eagle tac t-100... one of the 220 lumen cree setups.

runs on two cr123a or a single 18650 rechargable.
its small, lightweight, and very bright. the new ones boast 400+ lumens.

http://www.eagletac.com/html/t100c2/index.html

heck of a flashlight for the $50 ish price point.

A lot of good responses to the question with some features I was not aware of.

Got question on strobes. While very affective if shined in your eyes, don't they also have some affect on the user as well, especially in a walled room as in home defense?

I forget what they call it, but Surefire makes a one cell flashlight. Mine is incandescent, an older one, and it won't burn out so I can replace the head with an LED upgrade. It is years old and has been through more batteries and wash cycles than I care to recall.

They make an LED version now, one cell, that lasts longer and is brighter too. Get that one for sure. Don't leave it on in your pocket or it can start a fire, incandescent or LED alike.

Only like two inches long, I never leave without it. My wife keeps one a bit longer, two cells, in her bag.

Streamlight PT-1L LED, and runs off of one 123 lithium battery. They cost less than $50 & are an excellant light.

Buy once, cry once. Give HDS Clickies a hard look.
Lifetime warranty. Uses primary or rechargable 123's.
4 user customizable settings. 3 rapid clicks on tail cap
locks light from accidental turn ons. Several models &
outputs available. I have a 140 EDC, 170 & 200 tactical.
After using one, I won't consider anything else. Just another
option, if you want to spend the coin on a tank built light.

Damn you guys. I have been called a mini flashlight whore on more than one occasion.

I have looked at several of the models mentioned, and it is apparent that I will be getting some new flashlights soon.

I'm especially interested in the USB rechargeable LED Lenser.

Check out the Klarus XT series. They have 3 or 4 sizes depending on what you want. I have 2 of them XT11 and XT1C.. both are very nice/bright and have a great user interface. Big button is high, small button is strobe if flashlight is off, if big button on, small button runs through the other brightness modes (High-Medium-low). One of my favorite flashlights and I have quite a few higher end models (Malkoff, Surefire, etc).

I have a Fenix PD30 that gets abused, it keeps on going. Nice and small and great for pocket carry.

My wife lately has been known to take it to when she goes out at night. I'm thinking I'll get her a PD20 for Christmas this year.

Definitely check out the Streamlight Strion C4 LED rechargeable. You won't be sorry and sounds perfect for your application. Found this link -- http://www.opticsplanet.com/streamlight-strion-led-high-performance-rechargeable-flashlight.html --

Super bright!! Has 3 settings, hi-low-strobe via push button cap, it's very light, takes a beating and holds a great charge.

Use this as my duty light now, retired the full size Mag-Light, it sits in the cruiser bag as a back-up.

Got to buy another for my wife, she loves it and often times have to collect it from her before work cause she steals it on me.

Also have the Streamlight Xenon rechargeable. It's nice but not nearly as bright as the Strion C4. It is however smaller and holds a charge for a very long time.

I have many streamlights with the LED conversions but just seem to like my Fenix TK12. If you want compact with a lot of light you can always try a weaponlight. They are pretty plentiful, have a decent amount of light are easy to turn on, has a strobe for the most part and can be found everywhere. Also when it comes to intimidation if you get the ones with a lasar than whoever you shine it on may think you have a firearm and give you enough time to get some distance to run for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I like the Surefire and Streamlight brands, just don't know what might be best to buy.</div></div>

Post Script.. don't pidgin hole yourself with just the few brands you know of.. there are lots and lots of great lights out now that do things better than the few companies you mentioned. FourSevens, Klarus,Sunwayman,JetBeam,etc. Hit up GoingGear.com.. they have a very nice selection and coupon codes available. Also hit up Candlepowerforums.com.. that is the flashlight mecca.

Here are a few I recently picked up.. all are over 400 lumens and some over 700 lumens.

From left to right: JetBeam PC10, Klarus XT1C, Sunwayman V11R, Malkoff MD2 w/ M62W Drop-In, Klarus XT11.

2012072807581491.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bad pickle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I carry this one but it might be a little long for a pocket

http://swfa.com/Surefire-E2D-LED-Defender-Flashlight-P44797.aspx

if a 120 lumens fail it doubles as a stiking instrument</div></div>

Great choice. Surefire makes excellent lights that can take alot of abuse. I have a 6P that I have had for many years and it's been beat up pretty bad and still runs great. Just replaced batteries when needed.

I have the fenix TK-45 for the house. I use Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable AAs in it. It is stupid bright and has multiple settings.
For carry around and in my truck door I have the Fenix LD-20 . Again, uses the AA rechargeable batteries and it quite bright.
Fenix customer service is topnotch as well. When I first bought the TK-45 I put Duracells in it and forgot it, figured when they drained I would switch them. Well they bled in the light and ruined the cage. Called Fenix and had a new cage in three days.

mdesign,

First I am not a subject matter expert or former anything so all my opinions below are coming from my own trial and error experience carrying lights. Additional/foundational information was gained during lowlight training at pistol/carbine etc. courses and collecting information from those various instructors on the use of a light in the regular civilian type setup. So take all of the below with that in mind.

I think you need to stick to a couple of things based on your criteria, and you might even consider one light for home (larger/more powerful) and one for carry (smaller and with good power) provided they are activated in the same manner. I would also encourage some thought/discussion on mindset and how/when to access and use the light plus how it integrates with whatever other combative/defensive/offensive measures are available on your person/in your system. If you and your wife have already got a good handle on this then rock on, if not then seek instruction or guidance from a good trainer (likely a dude that is a top tier firearms trainer also). Any light that works well as an edc "tactical" light will be more than good as a utility light so no need to worry about dual use as long as you prioritize like that.

First, I would recommend not getting any light, even a Surefire, that has multiple modes activated by some series of clicks on the tail cap. If you really need light, you need it right now and shouldn't have to worry about waiting 1 second to turn it on again or double clicking or any of that bs to make sure you have "high" power rocking. With a one setting (high-only) light, you can always partially cover the lens with your hand to modulate the amount of light etc. since anytime you only need a little bit of light you almost certainly are not in a rush or whatever.

Number two is size...for a carry light I think the goal is "as small as possible while still having sure grip, tailcap click activation, and good power". Also a pocket clip may or may not be a desired feature (though for accessing the light quickly and consistently from a pocket it is nice). Not having 2" of flashlight sticking out of your pocket is a nice feature that is overlooked sometimes I would say. So in this category (carry light) I would look for a light with single stage tailcap activation with at least 100 lumens from a proven and reputable manufacturer with the option to either remove or not have a pocket clip. The light should have some knurling or other grip aids (smooth barrels etc with no flared cap or anything lack the needed grip in my opinion). Personally I don't use a light clipped to the pocket for EDC most of the time (4Sevens Quark 123 tactical no clip in the pocket loose) and feel that in a close in emergency I'm not going for or getting my light out anyways (either gaining dominance so I can use the light if needed or going straight to other stuff...not to sound like I'm super ninja but that just makes sense to me), and otherwise if I am in/entering an area where the ambient light is really low enough where I can't ID stuff or I feel the handheld light would be a big benefit, I just get the light out and hold it in my hand anyways so if I need it I'm ahead of the curve. If a clip is needed as the primary mode of attaching the light to your person or is just a welcome option (clipping into/onto the belt line or clothes with no pockets...or wherever else) then by all means get/use a clip.

I have experience with a lot of the Surefires, some Streamlights (PT 1 and 2L), and the 4 Sevens Quark 123 Tactical (single CR123 version). Out of them all my favorite do-it-all light and BY FAR the best for carry (for me) is the Quark. It does have multiple programmable modes, but to activate the second mode (i.e. "low") you have to physically loosen/turn the bezel about 1/8 of a turn before hitting the switch. Otherwise it is always whichever mode is set for the light when screwed together normally (i.e. every time you click it is high...no thumb switch dance required). This is one of the only ways I have seen that correctly prioritized light modes and gives me confidence in the switching while still allowing for the marginal convenience of multiple modes/levels.

If you wanted a separate home light with big power, I would look at Surefire single stage LED models starting with the Single stage Fury (Fury Defender...has the better click on tail cap than the Fury Tac single stage). Add grip tape to taste fr a sure grip

So the cliff notes: Consider mode of carry, priority of use, and mindset. Then stick to single output (high...with the clause on switching as outlined above) lights with rear tailcap click on activation, at least 100 lumens, and some degree of sure grip whether it be knurling, a flared tailcap, or even grip tape added yourself. Then get a light of minimum size for positive grip that runs on a standard-ish battery (CR123, AA, AAA) from a solid, known, and proven manufacturer. Top 3/4 lights for me are

1.) 4Sevens Quark 123 Tactical (clip or no clip option)...great all around an carry light. Plenty of power and excellent switching/modes...plus pretty ideal beam shape/ balance between spot and flood. Runaway winner for me.

2.) Surefire Fury Defender (single stage high output home light...way awesome power if you wanted a second dedicated home light).

3.) Surefire/VTAC L4 and Mini-L4 (see "P.S." section below). Slightly underpowered compared to the two above and beam a little too focused.

I hope that didn't put everyone to sleep and makes sense. I also hope that helps!

-TSean

P.S. It kills me that Surefire doesn't make a compact light like the Surefire/VTAC Mini-L4 (described below) but with a smaller bezel and slightly less focused beam. The closest Surefire comes to ending this debate on "best carry light" is their best overt carry and multi-purpose lights...the special edition L4 and Mini L4 they make for/with Viking Tactics. Those are worth a look too for sure for a great all around light (a little overt and bulky for EDC for my taste...but absolutely awesome and versatile single output (high) lights).

P.P.S. As pointed out there are other good brands out there. Just match their offerings to your criteria, do your homework, and you should be good to go! Enjoy the search!

Chuck, Any word on when y'all are going to release the ZM2, X300 Ultra, and M962LT?

ETA: I have a Z2X or MilkyL1CX2 Legolas for home/carry use.

So I have two personal recommendations for you, both are very good lights. I purchased the Fenix tk 35 as a gift for the same reasons as you. Its incredibly bright (800lm), has decent weight, fits in a womens purse, has instant strobe (and 4 other modes) which are selected from a seperate button than power, and it remembers last setting. It comes withback a lanyard and holster, ergonomical design and the controls are easy to manipulate. Take a look at the reviews from candlepowerforum.com... they are often on amazon at a good buy and I've seen several that are 'open box' never used but will save $$.

Another good buy is the Olight m30 triton, it has a striking bezel, and a pretty gnarly tail to strike with as well. It also has instant strobe access and is the traditional 1" handle. I posted a small review in this section a week or so ago on this exact light, it shows everything it comes with and a couple informal beamshots. The Fenix is brighter, has more weight, better throw, and is probably better general purpose. Honestly, the only bonus from the Olight is its size and its ability to be weapon mounted, which you don't need. I just figured I would put out another option. I would highly consider the Fenix, its as bright as lights twice its size, alot of value for your money as well. Its really is a great all purpose light.
good luck, if you have any questions about them, ask and I would be happy to help.

Edit: just saw your question about strobe... Yes, it can be disorienting or nauseating to the user in confined spaces. I know this might sound strange, but after you purchase the light for her have her use it a few times in a small room in the dark. It will help her get accustomed to it (the strobe feature if you get it). It may have an effect on the user depending on the size of the room, but it should be signifigantly less than the one who it is being pointed at. Unfortunately, there are some that will always be sensitive to it, regardless of exposure. But if one can gain an advantage of even a second or two ahead of the person on the business end ... Maybe its still worth it.
Best case scenario: An assailant is epileptic and everything ends right there

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chuck, Any word on when y'all are going to release the ZM2, X300 Ultra, and M962LT?

ETA: I have a Z2X or MilkyL1CX2 Legolas for home/carry use. </div></div>

The ZM2 I don't think is going to happen because of the Fury line, the X300 Ultra hopefully before the end of the year. We have a lot of people asking about this. The M962LT I don't know but we already have that head on the M900 so it is possible I just don't see a lot of requests for it.

Some really good responses to the question...things I never thought of. I'll likely end up buying for both of us in the end.

Since this is for your wife, keep it simple. She probably doesn't need anything as complicated as a programmable light. I would suggest a Surefire P2X Fury with 15 / 500 lumens or the 6PX Pro with 15 / 200 lumen. They have temporary on for quickly illuminating an object (reading a map for instance) and full on for blinding an attacker. For carry in a purse, they can be temporarily disabled by twisting the tail cap to avoid accidentally turning it on. On.....Off.....simple.

If you go surefire the z57 or z61 tailcap switch is nice to have.

As much as the "combat" lights are bigger, I like the raised ring. Makes activating the light and holding it firmly while engaged holding a pistol more natural for me.

I carry a maglite XL200 with me 173 lumans and 5 diffrent functions (I only use the first 2, High and strobe) if you press the button and hold it on the mode you want then turn the light you can lower the lights power or slow down/speed up the strobe all for around 35 bucks online, you can get the XL50 at walmart for about the same price, I have one its not as bright around 150 lumans if I remember right but still bright enough to blind someone. it takes 3 AAA batteries and has just about a 2 1/2 hr run time on high. and 218 hrs on low. 1 inch round and 4 3/4 long

XL200_image.jpg

ANSI-XL200.jpg

MDESIGN,

It might help to start making a list of everything you're looking for.
Some things to consider:

Size and weight: effectiveness as a striking instrument and still fit in your wife's purse* balance

Shape and ergonomics: click switches easy to find and manipulate- bezel durable enough or shaped suitable for defense- lanyard option- know which parts may be or you would like to be removable such as belt clips etc..

strobe and light changing options- how accessible they are* (personally I would stay away from ones that use one switch for multiple modes or types these that you rotate the bezel to change)

Lumen rating and beam type: since many manufactures inflate this number I would look at reviews where people have actually tested their performance- maybe a beam that has a combo of good spill and throw-

*Batteries: some of the higher power lights that use cr123 can also use li ion 18650 rechargables... something to think about.

If I were you I would take all the information I believe I want from a light and spend an afternoon over at candlepowerforums.com, there are so many reviews and recommendations...

Good luck

The EDC my wife requires is small AAA (Fenix & Arc) or CR2 (Muyshondt):

EDC1.JPG

The larger & heaver choice for 2 x CR123 would be Surefire Fury

I have a Surefire E2D incandescant.... I'd like to get the LED head but it does alright as is, it doesn't get used much but I have that and a CRKT M16-14SF with a Leatherman MUT and Petzl headlamp in my pack.

Those four tools combined, there's not much you can't do.

Stumbled across this new Fenix LD-41 today looking at their lights. 520 lumens max output for 3 hrs. and runs on 4 AA batteries. This looks to be another good light from these guys.
Fenix LD-41

Plus 1 on the Streamlight PT 2L . I carry one everyday it's like carrying a 6cell mag light in your pocket. Same light carried by the FBI by the way. If you really shop around you can find one for 40 plus shipping but they usually run about 50. Great light I have nothing negative to say about them.

As much as I like playing with the multimode stuff, the standard 6P variant from Surefire is as simple and dummy proof as it gets. It's not pocket-sized, but for purse carry, it's not a big deal. We did some solo structure clearing during training with lights and the multimode stuff can actually be more detrimental if you're using short controlled bursts, since many multimode features are based off switch pressure and activation duration. A lot of folks were setting off strobes and alternate modes on accident with quick successive bursts.

If multimode isn't an issue, +1 for MP15's suggestion of HDS. Spend some time reading up on the details and manuals offered on the website and you'll see they put a lot of thought into the product. HDS is made in the USA and arguably MORE durable than Surefire with multiple options, including hard sapphire lenses and an incredibly tough anodizing coat. I've EDC my HDS Tactical 170 lumen clickie for the last 3 years and tried the CR123 bodies and the R17670 with both the flush and raised button. I currently carry with the CR123 body and flush button and a third party tailcap-up pocket clip. There are dings and dents from drops and daily use (I've probably run over 30 CR123s through it so far) but it's still holding up and on original o-rings. It's programmable but to be honest, I've never bothered. If I could get their high CRI 120 lumen LED for accurate color rendition without multimode, that would be my dream light.

My wife carries the Surefire E2D LED Defender when walking the domestic canine unit outside of daylight hours. The beam is very bright on the primary setting and around 15 lumens on the secondary. It has striking surfaces on both ends.

I travel extensively for business and keep one in my briefcase in case of emergencies. It is a little spendy, but it is solid.

I have half a dozen Surefire 6P and G2 LED models in the house, in the cars, and in my packs - way more durable than the Streamlight models which I have had nothing but issues with. I also have a couple Fenix lights which have been great so far.

I used to use a Fenix L1D until it wore a hole in my pants and fell out somewhere. Now, I've used a Nitecore D11 for about two years and used it pretty hard without problems. I WAS going to get an Elzetta ZFL M60 but spent the funds on TAD Gear's new steam taped Stealth Hoodie LT as a factory second. Guess it was really bad timing for Elzetta.

Personally I would suggest, depending on how much you will use it, getting one that takes AA's and has an adjustable output.

I have a few streamlights that take those little cr123's (I think that the name) and while they were decent lights replacing the batteries at ~$1.00 each, when i could find them, was annoying and very inconvenient. When you need a bright flashlight you usually really need it and it might be for hours on end or a couple seconds who knows.

I have a few iTP's (thats the brand name) that I've used and if I had to I would bet my life on no joke. And when they start to get alittle dim I toss some new AA's in em cause their cheap as hell and every convenient store has em just in case..

Having said that I have one of these too that charges off any USB port like my car charger for my phone and its really very bright and very affordable and fits in my pocket well and last at least 1.5 hours, longest I've had to use it, although it gets pretty warm..

http://www.batteryjunction.com/itp-r01.html