• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flashlight recommendation/help please

sable

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Texas
I need a recommendation for a flashlight.

I like the tacticool ones because while aluminum with flesh cutters/window breakers on the bezels look cool for mall ninjas, they also hold up well.

I got a Streamlight TLR 1s for my handgun and last night i blinded myself with the strobe on it. Im so impressed with the quality/brightness of the light, i want a flashlight as bright as it. What are you guys using? this will be for everything. something a good bit smaller than my dim ass 6 D cell mag light would be awesome. im just so disappointed with the xenon bulbs in my maglights, i want a light as bright as this Stream

Re: Flashlight recommendation/help please

Honestly, the Surefire G2 is a great light with plenty of bang for the buck despite being plastic.

I've run them weapon-mounted for years without issue and I'm not real friendly with my gear.
grin.gif

Look into Malkoff Devices. may find something good there.

Have a streamlight Stinger HP LED. bright for sure, and rechargeable. nice setup but the lenses are cheap IMO. Same with the TLR1, 1s, and 2.

should get you started. try candlepower forums for more info if needed.

the Stinger HP LED's body is 1/2 the size of a 2D Mag, but the length is nearly the same, as well as the lens.

Smaller pkg - 6p LED and drop a Malkoff or TNVC CREE Q5 replacement lamp in it if you wish to go blind.

hope that helps a bit more

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honestly, the Surefire G2 is a great light with plenty of bang for the buck despite being plastic.

I've run them weapon-mounted for years without issue and I'm not real friendly with my gear.
grin.gif
</div></div>

ill look into surefire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HAve you tried the maglight LED lights? They're not too bad, and they're fairly cheap
</div></div>

Actually i put an LED replacement bulb in my existing maglight. may not be the same thing, but it didnt make it brighter, just turned the yellow light to white.

Fenix TK-30 is very bright, smaller than your Maglight but larger than the G2 etc.
600+ lumens with the extension as shown here. Very impressive light. 4 cree led's.
I fit a red lens and a butler creek on the bezel for varmint hunting at night.

whisper.jpg

I LOVE my Jet Beam. I have several. Top notch quality and they're brighter than the Surefire lights. They also use AA batteries (with conversion kit) so that's a plus for me.

http://www.jetbeam.com.cn/links/default.aspx

I have a buddy that is a distributor. Might be able to get him to sponsor a GB.

http://inovalight.com/t/t4.php

not very popular I think but these things are awesome! I'm a mechanic and I use mine all day long for inspecting customer's cars. each car i'll have the light on for at least 5 minutes on the average 15 cars, sometimes i'll have it on for 30 mins - 1 hour several times a day. I normally only charge it once or twice a week at most. Super bright light 200 lumens with 3 modes: full, half power and strobe. I mess with my co-workers all the time and it'll blind the shit out of them. It's cheap compared to streamlights and surefires. So far it's been bulletproof for the past 6 months, it gets tossed, dropped and thrown all over the place from carpet to concrete.

Surefire is always a safe bet, however Streamlight has launched an all out assault and I am impressed. Their new PTL's with strobe function rock, the tlr's are solid and there polymer lights rock with a 120 lumen LED for only $35.

Good value there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honestly, the Surefire G2 is a great light with plenty of bang for the buck despite being plastic.

grin.gif
</div></div>

I've been rockin G2's since they came out! Add a shock isolated bezel and they are GTG!!!

I think the plumber that replaced my water heater "picked up" the Streamlight TLR I won in the STS comps and I'm PISSED!!! It was a nice and handy LED.

I have a Surefire G2 and I really like the light and they make a rechargeable battery/charger for them to save on battery cost. Haven't tried the battery yet but looks promising.

I have 2 Surefire M4 Devastators. One for my wife, and one for me.
http://www.surefire.com/M4-Devaster
I also have a whole bunch of Surefire weapon lights, and G-2......
Never had a problem, and always taken care of by them.
In our old neighborhood, we had a 13year old punk that would ride a mufflerless 2 stroke scooter up and down the street at midnight and later when his parents wern't around. I work at 4:00AM. I'm sure you can imagine the fury I was going to unleash on him. I got up out of bed, put some dark sweats on, put on some shoes, grabbed my M4 (flashlight) and waited for the punk to come into my kill zone a couple of hundred feet from my house. Here he comes, 200ft, 150ft, 100ft, 50ft, 30 ft, BAM hit him with 300+ lumes of Surefire fury in the face! He was momentaryly blinded, (no streetlights their) and veered off and smack, right into the back of my neighbors F-250 construction truck. It won. I made sure he didn't break his neck, and told him to never come back. He didn't. My wife asked if I hit him with a 2x4 or something. She heard the thud. We laughed for at least 20 minutes strait.
JPG

I'm kind of curious how the guys who got the Bushnell HD square lights at the ultra steal price from sams club a while back are liking them?? Surely some of those guys that bought them will look at this thread!

I really liked the lights but was too slow on the draw to buy one at that rediculous low price and missed out!

I have an older streamlight scorpion I believe it is, and it is bright as hell! Only real issue is that it is not real friendly on the batteries. It does also have a rubber casing over it which is handy for the non-slip if this one won't be going on a weapon mount.

I was happy with my G2's until I got a Surefire E2DL. I love it. It is very bright, brighter than my TLR1s, battery life is great, and it is the size of a minimag. It is the best flashlight I have ever used. I know own 2 E2DL's.

I run an Eagle Tac T100 C2 MK II. Slightly bigger diameter than those with the CR 123 batteries, but pretty handy nontheless. I'm using the AW IMR 18650 rechargeable batteries. I can always switch to the CR123's anytime. Very happy with this light.

55/220 lumens. Why do they even put a strobe on a tac light anyway?.

Probably one of the best values for the money. If you really want to do some research, look up Candle Power Forums. Enough information to make your head swim.

Be careful paying too much for a brand name. The competition is getting pretty tough in this arena.

Good luck. What was great in lights yesterday is old school today. This field is changing daily.

If you can wait till October and you want a SureFire I would look at this. This is the 6PX. It is 200 lumens and there will be a nitrolon option and a aluminum version. Also You can get the tactical model that is 200 lumens or the civilian version that is a clickie tailcap that is 200 lumens on high 15 lumens on low and all of them will be under $100.

Helmetmount015.jpg

only 1 post for fenix? really??? I have a fenix TK 10 and its the shit. better bat life then the SFG2 2 modes of brightness 65 and 225 lumen and $60 bucks? and fits in any 1" mount whats not to love?

right now though it looks like the TK 11R5 would be the best bet. better bet life and a hell of a lot brighter on the brightest setting

For a personal light, I carry a Surefire E1B. It is small, super bright with 2 light levels, only uses one CR123 battery and the battery lasts a very long time.

When I FOB hop, I carry a Surefire A2 Aviator led so I have the red light option on aircraft and in blackout areas.

Back home, Surefire X300's on all pistol mounts and Scout lights on the carbines.

There are cheaper options out there but I am a Surefire whore.

If we are talking about a GP handheld light I carry a Surefire Lumamax L2 in my backpack. The dual level is nice for not blinding myself when I need to see close up. The high power is nice for seeing what is rustling through the bushes at the campsite.

It's expensive, but I trust Surefire lights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigDKC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm kind of curious how the guys who got the Bushnell HD square lights at the ultra steal price from sams club a while back are liking them?? Surely some of those guys that bought them will look at this thread!

I really liked the lights but was too slow on the draw to buy one at that rediculous low price and missed out!

I have an older streamlight scorpion I believe it is, and it is bright as hell! Only real issue is that it is not real friendly on the batteries. It does also have a rubber casing over it which is handy for the non-slip if this one won't be going on a weapon mount. </div></div>

The Bushnell HD Torch is phenomenal. I wish I would have bought ten of them at that price. I would buy another at full price without hesitation.

Eddie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a personal light, I carry a Surefire E1B. It is small, super bright with 2 light levels, only uses one CR123 battery and the battery lasts a very long time.

</div></div>

That's an amazing little light. Never would have bought one for myself as this one was given to me but it stays in my pistol case along with several loaded magazines with extra batteries. One night I had a blow out and as it turned out, that was the only light that I had. I've got a 6P, C3, G2 and G3 but glad I've got that one as well.

For the money, nothing compares to Streamlight stuff. I've got tons of Surefire, and if you were going to the 'stan with it I would recommend Surefire just for their heavy construction.

However...for a civilian like me..

The Streamlight SuperTac is the best hunting flashlight that I've found for it's throw and focus. It's vastly better than the M4 Devastator and throws as well as the new M4Turbo LED.

The Streamlight PT 2L and 1L are every bit the light of the Surefire Elb, and almost as heavy made - I've yet to break either. Considering you can buy about 4 of the Streamlight for the price of the Surefire, it's an easy call for me. In addition, the bezel of the Streamlight is a little smaller in diameter (same beam and throw after dark) and it's a little easier to carry as a result.

Your experience with the TLR1s is true across the board - Streamlight is where it's at for value.

Call Kevin at Brightflashlights.com and order whatever you get from him - he handles both.

Go to Candlepower forums. They have excellent reviews on just about any flashlight out there.

I retrofit my Surefire bodies with cree LED lenses and I'm happy wit the result

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The Bushnell HD Torch is phenomenal. I wish I would have bought ten of them at that price. I would buy another at full price without hesitation.

Eddie </div></div>

Yea I hate to pay full price but I've seen them around $55 or so and think I am going to have to buy one! I got to check them out a couple weeks back in person at the Bushnell outlet store/HQ office and was damn impressed with the demo, but of course that was at 2pm in the afternoon. Hard to really get a feel for it in full daylight.

Like the OP my crappy D-cell Mag-Light is a joke! I've been through 3 of them at this point! Going to have to get one of the HD's!

G2 LED. I just replaced the lamp with the LED the last time the bulb burnt out. It's great I don't use it very much but it's still going strong with batteries that have been there for a good 6 months.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Thanks chucky! Your M3LT Combat light was a spot-on recomendation & this 6PX Tactical will be my next short wait</span></span>...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can wait till October and you want a SureFire I would look at this. This is the 6PX. It is 200 lumens and there will be a nitrolon option and a aluminum version. Also You can get the tactical model that is 200 lumens or the civilian version that is a clickie tailcap that is 200 lumens on high 15 lumens on low and all of them will be under $100.

Helmetmount015.jpg

</div></div>

Check out the Olight m20s (side switch). I just received mine. Freakin awesome. Olight is very popular in this weird flashlight subculture that exists. There are some dudes a little to into their lights and batteries.
My m20s is 300lms-4hrs 110mns-12hrs and 5lms for 600hrs. The side switch allows for strobe and mode selection no need for bezel turning. I'm impressed. I need to do a quick review with pics...
Oh...I only paid $95 shipped with 2 rechargeable 18650's and a charger.
-T

Hand-held I use a Fenix PD20, which has strobe and different light intensity settings.

Weapon light on my AR15 and shotgun, I have a Surefire M951 KIT01 TAC light, which has a flip-up filter for infrared or you can switch it out for different purposes.

+1 for the Streamlight. You can't go wrong with a Poly Stinger rechargeable LED. Has constant on and a strobe switch. Streamlight has lifetime warranty, good people to deal with.

Blackhawk Gladius is also another good choice. Very robust design and good quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ninja</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Thanks chucky! Your M3LT Combat light was a spot-on recomendation & this 6PX Tactical will be my next short wait</span></span>...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can wait till October and you want a SureFire I would look at this. This is the 6PX. It is 200 lumens and there will be a nitrolon option and a aluminum version. Also You can get the tactical model that is 200 lumens or the civilian version that is a clickie tailcap that is 200 lumens on high 15 lumens on low and all of them will be under $100.

Helmetmount015.jpg

</div></div> </div></div>

I think the most expensive version of this light which is aluminum and 2 stage high of 200 low of 15 is still going to be less than $80.

Chuck

For a flashlight to just throw in a tool box or range bag, or just to carry in a pocket check out the Ray-O-Vac. They have one that uses 2 AA batteries, LED and 85 or 90 lumens output. For a cheap, aluminum bodied light under $35.00 it's hard to beat.
For a weapon light there are better choices out there, but cheap LEDs have a place too.

Jim

SUREFIRE for sure, I carry a E2D LED 24/7 and an E2D as a backup. I also have a 6P and a Saint headlamp that have all been ultra-reliable and super tough. I gladly pay the higher prices for tools that I use everyday of my life. I highly recommend Surefire lights.

Michael T.

I have to give another +1 to Fenix. I have two TK-11's and a TA-21 and they all work great every time I pull them out. And like previously stated for under $100 I haven't found much better.

I have a Surefire G2 LED, and the equivilent Streamlight C4 LED version. The Streamlight is half the price, and outperformes the Surefire.

Definitely the Surefire G2 LED is a awesome flashlight for the price. Plus there's options you can buy to make it brighter, and add more functionality. ie light output control, strobe, etc. I bought a kit from TNVC a while back and it's pretty cool.

I have NEVER been disappointed with Surefire products. I love them. No if/and/but's.

If I have to have a light, it's going to be a Surefire. If I want to have a light, it's going to be a Surefire. If I absolutely need a light, it'll absolutely be a Surefire.

They do not, however, have a real player in the AA world, and that's where Fenix came in for me. If you're traveling a lot, and don't have a high stock of CR123 batteries, I'll bring a Fenix (AA models) along with my SF lights, just for battery availability.

The plastic surefires are a good deal. Mine is 5 years old and still as bright as when i got it. I also have a streamlight weapon light for my glock. The weapon light fits surprisingly well in my hand and i use it a lot for carrying around.

The Blackhawk Gladius flashlights are great. They have all the features that you need in a compact design: momentary on/off, constant on with a dimmer feature that is nice and strobe. They're LED, light wight & super bright but not plastic. I like that you can lock out the tail cap so that it doesn't get bumped on and drain the batteries while in your gear bag.

Cons: CR123 battery driven, no strike bezel and somewhat expensive (depending on what you're comparing it to).

It is a hell of a lot lighter & brighter than my Surefire Millennium though.

I have carried my Surefire Backup so much well over 1/3 of the paint is gone. I love the focus of the beam. It is a SOLID little light and Well worth the money. Got the Wife and kids Surefire lights last year and myself an E2D LED defender and it is a hell of a good light also.At this point my family of 4 has 8 to 10 Surefire lights and the backup and defender are at the TOP of the list.
Hope that helped.