• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

flattest 200 yd cal. (hunting/target build)

MarkJordanKaden

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2012
Here in FL where I live I dont have much of a hunting shot over 200 yards. That being said I also would like to take it to the range and "open it up" from time to time. Any suggestions on
make, model, cal, modifications ect...

I am thinking a 6.5 creed, in a Remington 700, 20"bbl, bedded, and worked up hand loads. Am I on the right track or idea?

Budget starting out $750-$800 range.... then adding or upgrading in piece work in the near future.

If you are only shooting 200 yds i would determine the round depending on the size of game you plan on hunting.(not sure in Florida, deer and hogs?) You will not see a lot of benefits of one round over the other at that range. The 6.5 cm has great long range ballistics and will will work well at short ranges( and is my favorite calliber bullet) at the expense of ammo cost and availability of factory ammo(if needed in a pinch). I personally would stick with a basic .223, .243, or. 308 and focus on finding a rifle with a good rigid stock that fits you well and a nice trigger and go from there. But that is just my .02 cents.
Good luck with whatever you end up with

yes, Deer/hogs.... but there is a rifle range about 1 hour away where I would like to send some long distance phone calls. That being said, that is why I am thinking the 6.5cm.

Everything shoots flat at 200.

That is, unless you are looking for that extra tenth of a Mil.

Not sure i understand. The range you shoot at is longer than 200 yds. If so the 6.5 would be a fine choice but you will not see any of the benefits of the round until after 400 or so.

I guess you would need to specify what distance "long distance" means to you. Are you planning to source a Remington 700 in 6.5CM for $750-800? Or do you plan on buying a common caliber rifle and re-barreling? I also agree with 6.5labs on the ammo availability issue.

I plan on hunting with the weapon, but also plan on going to the range and shooting further 0-200 for hunting (that is the maximum shooting distance I have where I hunt) and when I go to the range I would like to get out to 500-800ish

The extra tenth of a mil could make a difference.

I plan on buying a 6.5m. I am looking at different models the 700 is my first choice.

I plan on hunting with the weapon, but also plan on going to the range and shooting further 0-200 for hunting (that is the maximum shooting distance I have where I hunt) and when I go to the range I would like to get out to 500-800ish

I plan on buying a 6.5m. I am looking at different models the 700 is my first choice.

For down here, I would go with a 7mm08 or a 308. I have hunted hogs with both, and my 7mm08 shooting Nosler AB's drops hogs flat. Load the 7mm08 with a 162 AMax and youre golden. The 308 works fine too; a 165 AB for hunting knocks hogs DRT.

7mm-8 would be a harder hitting round imo and is a very flat shooting round. The 6.5mm Creedmoor is also an awesome round. I honestly thing this is more of personal preference as many of my friends hunted only with their 223 here in Alabama and had just as much success as they did from the previous year with their 300wm. Shot placement is important more important than any caliber can make up from especially if you don't want to srew the meat up. I use a 6.8spc AR for hogs and they don't go anywhere

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

If you can shoot 500-800 go 6.5 cm. 260 rem or 6. 5x284 are both good also. It is all about preference.

Or if you don't already have a 308 got that route. I have no problem taking my 20" barreled 308 to 1200 with great success. A 185gn projectile will have no problem dropping anything imo. You could add a barrel nut and rebarrel to anything with the 308 bolt face in a matter of minutes.

My dad is in Plant City and he says the deer are pretty small compared to up here in the NW. But all cals stated here looks to be spot on. I've heard a lot of good things about the 6.5, but like a few guys said, ammo availability is a concern. I'd personally go with a 308. Or just collect em all! Damn this hobby can get expensive.

If you can shoot a 308 successfully to 1k you can easily shoot the 6.5 and 6mm variants with ease. A 308 is a great trainer and if you do not handload there are tons of options for match ammo and good hunting rounds. If you reload it's very forgiving for the most part and lots of options for projectiles. The 6.5 's have very good BC, low recoil and generally are pushed to 2800-2900fps. The 6mm stuff like 243, 6mm creedmoor etc have no problem pushing a 105-115gn bullet to match max velocity in most cases and are super flat shooting with even less recoil than the 6.5 creedmoore/260 type of round. Again all personal preference here as there are countless rounds that would meet your criteria very easily.

I would suggest two different rifles, as the two purposes you describe fall within two entirely different niches. I feel that any rifle that works well in one of those two roles will be less than desirable in the other. Mind you, for hunting at less than 200 yards doesn't require a very expensive rifle. Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
I read the OPs question as quite realistic and straight forward. Hunting with shots rarely going over 200yds makes it fairly simple, don't over analyze it or complicate it with crazy details of "what if". I like the 6.5cm but getting it in a factory Remington isn't happening, go Savage and you're all set with a good shooting package without having to re-barrel. Otherwise as mentioned several times, staying within the R700 factory options and budget the 7mm-08 is a GTG.

.243 with 80gr Win Walmart Ammo will do everything you want to at 200yrds. Anyone who argues hasn't done it. Come on fellas its just another 20 pc of brass. Do it. Pretty fair medicine for 200yrd FL deer. Taking it further, if you reload, 75gr and 87gr are more effective than most give it credit. My .02.

An extra tenth of a mil at 200 is .72". Unless you're shooting at palmettos I'm thinking it's a moot point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

.243 with 80gr Win Walmart Ammo will do everything you want to at 200yrds. Anyone who argues hasn't done it. Come on fellas its just another 20 pc of brass. Do it. Pretty fair medicine for 200yrd FL deer. Taking it further, if you reload, 75gr and 87gr are more effective than most give it credit. My .02.

this……..I went from 243 to 308 and then to 6.5 creed. For my 200 and in hunting….the 243 gives up nothing and, depending on the loading, is actually going to be flatter than anything. When I was hunting mine, I put a 225yrd zero on and and just held crosshairs on anything inside of that range. Even on a neck shot at 75yards, the 1.x moa elevation difference didn't make any difference.

we used 75grainers for prairie dogs, varmints and small whitetails. Moved up to 95-105 for bigger deer and mullies and western ranges of 300+.

For the ranges you are talking about 308 or 6.5 Cread will do all you want, 308 if you dont reload 6.5 if you do.

Remington doesn't make a factory 6.5cm so personally at your price point I'd buy a 700 varmint in 243 and buy a good scope rings and base with anything leftover then replace the stock and trigger when more funds are available