• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Floating Barrel on Savage question?

alee18

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
AZ
Hello

I'm looking for a some thoughts on my idea.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Problem</span>: I have a Savage Axis .223 and when I got the rifle I noticed that the stock is rubbing agaist left side of the barrel making it not 100% free floating barrel. While the dollar bill runs through, it gets some what tight in there due to POS plastic stock.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Idea</span>: I simply added a washer (about 1mm thick, it bent nicely around barrel, taking a round shape) to the front "short allen screw" between the barrel and the stock, which raised the barrel a little, making it more centered and truly a floating barrel. However, the stock flexes noticeably more in front now.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Question: </span> Is this going to benifit me in terms of accuracy or is it dangerous to shoot it like this all together?

Thanks

Re: Floating Barrel on Savage tip

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sand the stock.... dont shim anything... </div></div>

Is this like a known fact to everyone, sort of like "dont drive with both feet, one on brake and one on gas" or is it just your opinion on sanding vs using a washer as raiser?

PS. The gap between the stock and barrel in the frontend is about 5mm.

I guess that would a better way to approch that, however, it requires more time and material. I was wondering if I could get any improvement from the method described above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alee18</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess that would a better way to approch that, however, it requires more time and material. I was wondering if I could get any improvement from the method described above. </div></div>
No! You are stressing the action with that setup. If you don't want to bed you will have to remove material from the stock. If it is a light duty stock it will still bend when its under load. What stock is it sitting in?

I had the same issue on one of my Savage's. I had taken the barreled action out and held the stock in a vice. took a standard razor blade and held it straight up and down as I pulled the razor to me, made a pretty bad scrapping sound but the synthetic stock material started to peal off nicely. I had to remove about 4mm on both sides to get it to be truely free from touching the stock. I'm sure others have better ways, this way worked for me.

V/R
Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alee18</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess that would a better way to approch that, however, it requires more time and material. I was wondering if I could get any improvement from the method described above. </div></div>
No! You are stressing the action with that setup. If you don't want to bed you will have to remove material from the stock. If it is a light duty stock it will still bend when its under load. What stock is it sitting in? </div></div>

Factory Axis plastic stock... I know they are POS. Sounds good thats what I was looking for if my set up would benifit or harm the performance and you just answered that question. I guess shaving the stock is a better approch to gain that 100% free float barrel. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A dremel does have its use when fixing issues like this. </div></div>

I do have a dremel, but Im afraid it will melt through the plastic really fast as I had previous exp using dremel on plastic.

High speed and take it slow. Some people have the touch and some don't. If you don't use sandpaper and still take your time.

Re: Floating Barrel on Savage question?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alee18</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Idea</span>: I simply added a washer (about 1mm thick, it bent nicely around barrel, taking a round shape) to the front "short allen screw" between the barrel and the stock, which raised the barrel a little, making it more centered and truly a floating barrel.

<span style="font-weight: bold">However, the stock flexes noticeably more in front now.</span></div></div>

The stock flexes more because the barrel was supporting it.
By removing the barrel from the stock, you are seeing how truly flexible the stock really is.
You can keep removing plastic and the stock will droop more and more.
Eventually though, you will get clearance.