• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Floating Dot or Floating Cross hair in the center of the reticle?

ThunderRun

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2018

Click the Survey Monkey Link above:

We are looking for some feedback from the shooting community. This is a quick one question poll to see what you prefer! Feel free to let us know why you prefer one by commenting below! For reference, both of these images are from the MIL and MOA version of the Ares ETR.

Attachments

• crosshair.jpg
    crosshair.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 320
  • floating dot.jpg
    floating dot.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 408
Reactions: Tunnuh
Dot. I was not sure I would like it, but the Riton 4-32 came with a dot reticle and after using it a bit I really like it.

Reactions: ThunderRun
How about regular crosshairs. Non floating.

Any center is okay as it isn't used often but if you shoot a FFP scope on the 10-12x range then the dot disappears and you end up with a huge open center reticle. Think about that all the “I dont like open center guys” because unless the mag is turned up, this is exactly what you get in the worst way.
@TheMammoth @M8541Reaper

Or for a better more direct comparison where the rest of the reticle is the same instead of switching angular units, how about the mil reticles from the Cronus?

Floating Cross Hair
1570552540655.png

Floating Dot
1570552583735.png

Reactions: ThunderRun
How about regular crosshairs. Non floating.

Any center is okay as it isn't used often but if you shoot a FFP scope on the 10-12x range then the dot disappears and you end up with a huge open center reticle. Think about that all the “I dont like open center guys” because unless the mag is turned up, this is exactly what you get in the worst way.
@TheMammoth @M8541Reaper

...lol ok killer, who hurt you?

1). My eyes aren’t dog shit so I can see the center dot at 10-12x on my MK6 and ATACR. You could be right if the shooter has poor vision.

2). It’s literally an opinion poll and people can have differing opinions.

3). Fuck open centers.

4). People who think floating crosshairs are weird. ;)

5). Different reticles for different jobs. I’m also a fan of solid reticles ::gasp:: my 3-15 F1 NXS is a MLR2 and it’s a perfect reticle for what I use that system for.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Or for a better more direct comparison where the rest of the reticle is the same instead of switching angular units, how about the mil reticles from the Cronus?

Floating Cross Hair
View attachment 7160424

Floating Dot
View attachment 7160425
Thanks. I'm not worried about the crosshair thickness. I only displayed the images to show what i meant by dot vs crosshair. I'm not worried about size variances or specific reticles, just the center design. Hopefully that clarifies.

Of those choices, the dot, but I actually really like open centers where the crosshairs don't actually touch and the center is clear

Reactions: 0dd and Rob01
Dot.

You guys really need a 2-15 FFP with Dot in your lineup.

I’m becoming more interested in the sub tensions adjacent to the center. Other than a 100 yard zero, the center didn’t really matter. The .2 mil sub tensions are preferred by me.

Reactions: DisplacedTexan

1). My eyes aren’t dog shit so I can see the center dot at 10-12x on my MK6 and ATACR. You could be right if the shooter has poor vision.

3). Fuck open centers.

5). Different reticles for different jobs. I’m also a fan of solid reticles ::gasp:: my 3-15 F1 NXS is a MLR2 and it’s a perfect reticle for what I use that system for.
I didn’t intend on being so aggressive. ?

• Haha
Reactions: M8541Reaper
My eyes are shit. Crosshair because the dot disappears. Literally. I’ve learned to compensate with my reticles with a dot but it’s frustrating.

.03 - .05 Dot for target shooting. .05 or .06 mil cross for hunting. For me, the dot is a little more precise and the cross is a little faster.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
Larger Dot. Gen3XR and the .075ish mil dot is about perfect.

Comparing the three different dot sizes (.04, .06, & .09) on the EBR-7C is enough to convince me that .075 is much too large for the centre dot - but I guess different tastes are what drives the options now available, which is a good thing. I personally think Tangent missed the boat with the Gen3XR, make the dot .04 or .05 and it would be near perfect - perhaps that's why we have the Mil-XT :)

Last edited:
I hate the tiny small dot in my 4-16 Midas TAC but I can see the dot in the 6-24 Midas TAC on higher mag well.

I prefer dots, .05 mil has been a favorite.

Had a FFP IOR 6-24 with a .1 mil sized dot, I despised it, just seems too big in a FFP scope.

For hunting point blank I like those massive dot's in the middle of a plain crosshair like in the old Weaver's, awesome for a quick offhand shot, as well as decent sized dot on a silhouette rifle.

I don't mind a center + though.

Never liked a duplex.

Either a traditional reticle or a floating dot.

Floating cross just doesn’t do much for me.

3). Fuck open centers.

r.c guy
I don't have the slightest idea how I'm stuck doing a quote, so please forgive me. But back to the thread. My eyes are not able to focus on the dot unless the scope is cranked up to 20+ power. The crosshair I can focus on down to 8 power.

r.c guy
I don't have the slightest idea how I'm stuck doing a quote, so please forgive me. But back to the thread. My eyes are not able to focus on the dot unless the scope is cranked up to 20+ power. The crosshair I can focus on down to 8 power.

You have the quote technique down as long as you were meaning to respond to my post, which was a response to Wade’s response to my response to Mammoth which was his response to the poll that I had responded to.

You have the quote technique down as long as you were meaning to respond to my post, which was a response to Wade’s response to my response to Mammoth which was his response to the poll that I had responded to.
Well, I was eating dinner and trying to read and scroll at the same time.

I was not sure I would like a floating dot when I purchased my Mk5 but turns out I do. My other scopes all had cross hair reticals and had never tried it and now glad I did. Definitely do not want an open center though.

I thought I was going to be the odd man out, but looks like it is me AND @beetroot. I like an (small) open center. Between the 2 choices, however, I like the dot better. Neither really speak to me. The floating cross hair appears too coarse, and the opening the dot floats in is too big. I really like the ERB-2c...

Reactions: 0dd and wade2big
Ok this is timely. My next purchase will be a Cronus with floating dot. But you guys have me wondering if I will be able to see it, my close vision is fading fast. I wish I could view one before I buy.