• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Florida fixing to get pounded again

Must be sending in the power company crews staged in Chipley, watched a 30+ truck convoy rolling down 10.

Forget the coast, we are roughly 200 air miles from the Gulf and get hit with Hurricanes more often than we would like. Laura tore us up pretty bad, pretty much destroying anything not tied down and some things that were tied down. Rita, the same. Several have hit since 2000, none are pleasant, all cause weeks worth of cleanup.

1693399435378.jpeg

F0458907-5371-4A76-B913-3B95CD4D01C9.jpeg

As far as living near the coast, I would prefer a steel framed home, with the beams well set in a solid concrete foundation, about 50 or so miles from the coast, and having an area of at least say 5 acres clear of trees and then surrounded with lots of forest (at least a quarter section, prefer more.). That said, around Niceville and Valparaiso, i see lots of tall, multi story, slab sided homes, built of wood frames. Right on Boggy Bayou, with a southern wind fetch of all the way to the Santa Rosa Island. Like, what are these people thinking? I could all but blow them over and destroy them with a good sneeze.

Our Caney Lake home is set on a deep cove with lots of trees and rising ground to protect us from every direction but the east-northeast. (ENE) So, we get lots of storms, lots of high winds but rarely ever feel them. Unfortunately, Laura blew up the border between Louisiana and Texas and the above pictures are the result. Hurricane force winds were out of the (you guessed it) East Northeast. Had to be caused by an outlier storm. As always the trees are a bit scary And the insurance rates now reflect the close proximity of the trees location.

Reactions: lash
yea,got all the huge trees close to the house down. also,you don't think about it but those trees spread huge roots that can and do go under the house into septic and well systems. that makes a big problem.
F7A02CC3-D08A-4648-80CE-93D49D18B0A2.jpeg

Some of the trees are among the neighbor’s property. A genuine pain. Sadly, they frame the house against a wooded background, giving the little white cottage an appearance that is quite nice from the water. In retrospect, wish thirty years ago when we were building it, I had cut everyone of them down and planted fruit trees. Plant some blackberry canes in between them and I could have had fresh pork as well as fresh venison.

Reactions: theLBC and mosin46