• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flute Armalite stock barrel or new barrel

blfuller

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2009
Northeast Washington State
I've got an Armalite AR10A4 and the barrel is a wee bit heavy. This is one of the 20" heavy profile barrels before Armalite switched to a government profile barrel. Has anyone sent their stock barrel off to ADCO to have them flute it under the handguard and forward the gas block? Did you notice any accuracy degradation after fluting or was everything fine. What was the amount of weight reduction obtained? Please let me know. Thanks.

I had them profile one down to govmt weight dimensions and was happy with the work. I had no change in accuracy, but handling of the rifle was much better. I don't remember the weight reduction as far as ounces goes, but it was substantial. I'm not sure if fluting would give the same result, but wouldn't be afraid to try it.

ADCO does high quality work with excellent results and generally VERY fast turnaround times (2-3wks usually for a job like that). I wouldn't be afraid to try it, but as with all modifications of that nature, YMMV!! In terms of actual weight savings, it'll depend heavily on how aggressive you go with the fluting or reprofiling, but from that barrel, with standard fluting, I'd say ~1/2lb would be likely, maybe up to 1lb if you go just mad-dog nuts on it. ;)

Frankly, by the time you mod your existing barrel, paying for S&H both ways and the labor/service itself, you'll likely be getting close to halfway to a new barrel. If you sell your existing, heavy profile barrel now as she sits, its probably worth around the same as it would be if you flute it. You can either get the work done and trust that it'll turn out AOK (which it likely will), or you can part out your existing barrel and source one that better meets your requirements for length/weight/profile/etc.

I would sell off the barrel and buy a new barrel in the profile you want rather than try to transform the factory barrel into something approximating your needs. This also gives you the option of changing barrel length as well.