• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

flying w/ medium size pistol case

trdjohn

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2019
NE IL
Never flown with firearm before, but been reading up on air travel with pistols, seems like people using smaller 1 or 2 gun pelican type cases put them in larger piece of checked luggage after TSA inspection.

We're thinking of going to Florida for a couple months this winter, staying with my dad at his house. I was thinking of bringing 3 or 4 pistols and mags (me, wife, dad could all shoot together), so I was considering a larger standalone gun case that would probably take up too much room in suitcase.

Something like Pelican Storm im2200

Does something like that with non-TSA, heavy duty padlocks just scream guns inside? I'm sort of concerned that something like that would be easier for baggage handlers to "lose", compared to smaller 2 gun case hidden in larger normal luggage. Have any of you flown with a case that size, what were your experiences?

Never flown with firearm before, but been reading up on air travel with pistols, seems like people using smaller 1 or 2 gun pelican type cases put them in larger piece of checked luggage after TSA inspection.

We're thinking of going to Florida for a couple months this winter, staying with my dad at his house. I was thinking of bringing 3 or 4 pistols and mags (me, wife, dad could all shoot together), so I was considering a larger standalone gun case that would probably take up too much room in suitcase.

Something like Pelican Storm im2200

Does something like that with non-TSA, heavy duty padlocks just scream guns inside? I'm sort of concerned that something like that would be easier for baggage handlers to "lose", compared to smaller 2 gun case hidden in larger normal luggage. Have any of you flown with a case that size, what were your experiences?
I've only flown with smaller cases inside my other baggage - or with a full size gun case. In both cases - they had specific tags on them to identify them as having firearms in them. So any baggage handlers that were going to steal something would be looking for those tags regardless of bag size.

I've only flown with smaller cases inside my other baggage - or with a full size gun case. In both cases - they had specific tags on them to identify them as having firearms in them. So any baggage handlers that were going to steal something would be looking for those tags regardless of bag size.
Ah thanks for that piece of info, you don't know, what you don't know
all the reading I've done in the last 24 hours, no one has mentioned those tags .... well that makes my fears moot ...
thanks again!

Reactions: MadDuner