• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Flying With Shooting Bags

ncyotecaller

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 10, 2009
McLeansville, NC
Was just curious where guys that travel to competitions and have to fly carry their shooting bags? In your luggage, rifle case or carry-on?

A lot of good info out there - Long Range with the Lily's did a good video on traveling with a rifle last year on YouTube.

Short answer, keep it in your carry on so that TSA can pull it out and ask you what the heck you have a sandbag for. No matter where you put it, in checked baggage, or your carry on, they WILL take it out and inspect the black hole that blocks all their xray devices to make sure you're not smuggling something taboo onto the plane.

I carried mine in a carry on and it worked fine. They did take it out and look at it to confirm it wasn’t something scary, but they were more concerned about my wheeler fat wrench and associated bits.

Reactions: On_target68
In the carry on but for a different reason. Weight. Only get 50 pounds a bag and if flying to a match then your checked bags will be full so something heavy in a carry on is the right choice.

Yea I’m going to try and get my rifle (in a soft case), tripod, ammunition and a few other things in my Pelican 1750. Then I will carry the rest in my backpack that I will carry-on to the plane. Will be flying from NC to TX for the PRS Rimfire Finale in December.

Reactions: On_target68
I would try to keep more padding around rifle and scope and less in the case to take up space where padding could be. After you fly and see them handling the case you will know why.

I would try to keep more padding around rifle and scope and less in the case to take up space where padding could be. After you fly and see them handling the case you will know why.
I will keep that in mind! Luckily my .22 has a Razor Gen II on it so if TSA destroys that thing then they have done something. I might take my ATACR or ZCO as a backup but will put it in my carry on with my Leica 3200’s if I do.

Then just carry the scope in your carry on and pop it back on when you get there if you plan to do it with a spare. I am sure you will get to rezero down there. Ammo has a weight limit too so watch that. You shouldn;t go over it with .22 ammo though.

Yea I’m going to try and get my rifle (in a soft case), tripod, ammunition and a few other things in my Pelican 1750. Then I will carry the rest in my backpack that I will carry-on to the plane. Will be flying from NC to TX for the PRS Rimfire Finale in December.
Thanks for starting this thread. I had the same questions and am headed to the same destination. See you there!

Thanks for starting this thread. I had the same questions and am headed to the same destination. See you there!
No problem! My case arrangement is going to change because I ordered a DI Precision Vudoo barreled action to drop in on of my stocks. It’s going to be much longer than my Tikka so I will definitely be rearranging. Just wish I could find some Midas + for it!

I’m the odd one out, i check my shooting bag. I don’t know how many flights I’ve made but it’s a lot and I haven’t had a problem… yet.

Checking the bag definitely isn’t a problem if you can afford the weight. I have checked mine in the past but all depends on the packing situation aka how much shit I have to bring. Lol

Checking the bag definitely isn’t a problem if you can afford the weight. I have checked mine in the past but all depends on the packing situation aka how much shit I have to bring. Lol
That’s true, last thing you want is checking the gun box AND and an overweight bag.

Reactions: Rob01
Have any of you guys flown with a Two Vets QDT tripod? It's listed as being 39" when fully collapsed. Its too long to fit in my suitcase and too beefy to go in the rifle case. It's way longer than the normal carry on size restrictions.

I’m the odd one out, i check my shooting bag. I don’t know how many flights I’ve made but it’s a lot and I haven’t had a problem… yet.

same, I check it if I can. just have to budget weight well

carry on my scope and bino's, everything else goes into my checked bags

Have any of you guys flown with a Two Vets QDT tripod? It's listed as being 39" when fully collapsed. Its too long to fit in my suitcase and too beefy to go in the rifle case. It's way longer than the normal carry on size restrictions.

I've flown with a TVC-22i in a large duffle, no issues, just watch your overall size

if you can get it into your hard rifle case and make weight, that would be better

Hey Ricks I would try taking off the scope. That's what @NiteQwill does and he can fit the RRS version of that tripod in the rifle case with a bunch of other stuff.

Good luck in Texas!

Reactions: NiteQwill
Hey Ricks I would try taking off the scope. That's what @NiteQwill does and he can fit the RRS version of that tripod in the rifle case with a bunch of other stuff.

Good luck in Texas!
Yup, take scope off and put tripod next to rifle. Fits in a Pelican or Nanuk rifle case with room to spare.

@ricksmunn I'll take a picture in a bit since I'm packing or TX too!