• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN mauser any good?

Andy Warhog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2011
W/C MO
Some guy wants to trade me an old fn mauser action with a 26" douglas #4 chambered in 243 for an old tig welder I have on craiglist. The guy says hes a gunsmith and he squared the action, slicked up the trigger a bit, and some other stuff I'm not remembering right now. I'm asking 1300 for the welder and he said hed give me the rifle and 200. Does this sound like a fair deal? How are those old actions? Anybody shoot douglas?

Re: FN mauser any good?

a sporterized Military FN is worth $500 tops.
a comercial FN would be a bit more. Not a good trade
if you a firm on your price,

I wouldnt, theres a lot of bubba'ed mausers out there. If you that interested id do a face to face and really look the rifle over.

The very 1st thing id do is pull any scope/base off and see how many holes are in the reciever. That might tell you alot about the action itself.

If your really not that interested in any old rifle then pass, cuz a Mauser (while I do appreciate them) is not worth 1100 bucks.

Yeah, it really depends on exactly what it is, but chances are against it being worth anywhere near that kind of money, especially with that barrel (not a comment on it's quality. Only it's originality, which counts for everything with Mausers).

Wow. That guy made it sounds like I'd be getting the deal of a lifetime. Thanks for the info!