• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN SPR......Sexing things up!

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
Shooters, I just finished up some work for a customer who gets the credit for designing this rifle, I just performed the work. It started off as a FN SPR barreled action. Here is the work that was performed.

Surefire muzzle brake installed on barrel.
Stock fitted for action, glass and pillar bedded. Bedding verified by dial indicators with zero stress on action.
Badger Embedded Front Rail (EFR) installed, bedded in stock.
Stock finished by Camo Solutions
CDI bottom metal fitted (not inletted) to action and stock.
All metal Cerakoted Flat Dark Earth with black KG Gunkote Matte black accents on bolt knob, shroud, magazine release.

Rifle was test fired at 100 yards with 3 shots of Federal Gold Metal Match, all rounds went into a nice .373" group.

Mark

IMG_0601Large.jpg

IMG_0603Large.jpg

IMG_0605Large.jpg

IMG_0548Large.jpg

IMG_0551Large.jpg

IMG_0559Large.jpg

IMG_0589Large.jpg

IMG_0592Large.jpg

IMG_0594Large.jpg

IMG_0630Large.jpg

Re: FN SPR......Sexing things up!

Interesting. I regret selling my FN: when bedded correctly it outshot every non-custom that I have. Watch for a bunch of 20" FN's at ASC this fall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting. I regret selling my FN: when bedded correctly it outshot every non-custom that I have. Watch for a bunch of 20" FN's at ASC this fall. </div></div>

The bedding is very important. It took a while to find out what FN's like and what they dont like.

Mark

Have you tried bedding them with a barrel pad? If so, what do think about that?

That is a very sexy rig. And I must agree with chiller manufactures need to step up and open there ears.

LS

Mark, that has to be the baddest f-ing rifle I've ever seen! When you told me about it I was not expecting that. Outstanding work on your part and a great selection of components and design on the customer's end! That is just amazing!

The bedding is very important. It took a while to find out what FN's like and what they dont like.

Mark

Okay, What do they like??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel length? </div></div>

With and without the QD muzzle brake for the suppressor?

Gents,
Thought I should post a "before" pic to show just how much Mark was able to change this rifle. She was just a straight out of the box FN SPR A5M with a 20" bbl with an upgrade of the bottom metal and bolt knob done by Jeff at CDI. (His pic below--Thanks Jeff)

DSC_0709_resize.jpg

Mark was absolutely amazing to work with throughout this process. I sent him the rifle and various parts and pieces along with a quick description of what I had in mind and he turned it into a reality. I think we might have talked on the phone once (maybe not at all) and sent over 50 messages via email and facebook. His turnaround time was unbelievable.

Thanks, Mark and I can promise you that I'll be sending more work your way very soon.

Michael

Congrats on a kickass rifle SFTexan and great job Mark! I love that camo pattern.

Very nice, I think the SPR action offers a lot of really attractive features for a real world tactical rifle.

SF you plan on running a SF can on that thing? Either way those brakes are very effective.

Beautiful work yet again mark.....

Pattern looks awesome! The demo pattern on the web site doesn't do it justice!

Wow, that looks great! I've been thinking about sending my SPR to Mark for some work.

Is that group with the factory barrel? Aren't those barrels Chrome lined? Looks real good.

Something about the two-tone paint on the accent pieces makes me look twice. Really nice work. Did you paint the SF muzzle brake?

Jack

Ill swap my left nut for it!
The ATACS stock is sexy, good work mate... You've made my day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill swap my left nut for it!</div></div>

I'd swap your left nut for it as well.

Josh

Im kind of thinking I should have just gotten an FN as my project base instead of the R700, as give or take some cosmetic differences it now very looks similar. I want one those brakes.

Nice work mate....

JJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd swap your left nut for it as well.</div></div>

Ok, if I get your USP compact and citizenship
crazy.gif

JJ, you know of an aussie distributor for FNH? I had a quick look, no luck. The 24" SPR in .300WSM would be nice.

That is a pretty nice lookin stick, looks like it shoots as well as it looks also

Nah mate, dreaming more than anything, but definatly looks the goods, especially for a factory rifle.....

JJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackinfl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that group with the factory barrel? Aren't those barrels Chrome lined? Looks real good.

Something about the two-tone paint on the accent pieces makes me look twice. Really nice work. Did you paint the SF muzzle brake?

Jack
</div></div>

The Surefire was left alone, that is its natural finish. The factory barrels just seem to really shoot well despite ""the inaccuracies from a chrome lined barrel"". Even the FNAR semi auto with chrome lined barrels really shoot well.

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel length? </div></div>

With and without the QD muzzle brake for the suppressor? </div></div>

Yea, both would be good.

Northland/Oddball,
the bbl length without the muzzle break should be 20" as per factory. Mark removed material from around the muzzle to allow for fit of the mb (due to SF's overlap design) and cut the threads, but did not shorten the bbl. Once the big brown truck drops it off, I'll get the length with mb for you.

SFT

I believe the Sure Fire brake adds 1.5 inches to the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel length? </div></div>

With and without the QD muzzle brake for the suppressor? </div></div>

Yea, both would be good. </div></div>

From the end of the receiver with out the break is 19.5" and with the break is 21".

Great job Mark! When I finish shooting the hell out of my SPR, I'm going to have it gone through, cleaned up, new barrel and some stock work. It's funny, all the custom actions I see (at least most) are based off of Remington 700's.....yet numerous custom smiths' seem to prefer the Winchester actions! Go figure!
Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Am180man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great job Mark! When I finish shooting the hell out of my SPR, I'm going to have it gone through, cleaned up, new barrel and some stock work. It's funny, all the custom actions I see (at least most) are based off of Remington 700's.....yet numerous custom smiths' seem to prefer the Winchester actions! Go figure!
Steve </div></div>

I see that alot too, I like the Winchester/FN actions. They clean up nicely, they bolts have plenty of extraction built into them, they are running 8/40 screws, extraction is good to go. Bolt knob conversions turn out great and they are not hard to build up.

I'm doing a personal build right now in 6.5 Creedmoor with a SPR action. We will see how it turns out.

Mark

Mark, is the finish on the stock painted on or a film dip? Looks like the new ATAC camo that they are trying to field.

The link in the first post seems toindicate that it was dipped by Camo Solutions

I really want to send my FN to SAC for some work. This is one of the looking rifles I've seen.

I'm not a camo kind of guy since I dont have to hide from anyone when I shoot, but that is very very very aesthetically pleasing.

Very nice work, overall.

Love the camo pattern...I know what I am going to do when I get my AICS stock