• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

FNAR 7.62x51mm Opinions

Re: FNAR 7.62x51mm Opinions

This was asked a couple of days ago. "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION"

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=863345#Post863345

(I'm kidding because there is no info in the thread
crazy.gif
)

THis about all I have been able to find.

http://www.gunblast.com/FN-AR.htm

Cheers.

With all of the guns represented here on the Hide did I find one that nobody owns.
laugh.gif

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know it is off topic but what does one of those babies sale for? </div></div>

Around $1,400.00 on the street

I looked it up on GA and they are around $1450 for the lightweight and one was $1700 for the HB. I don't know if that is retail or wholesale or if my friend has a line on a cheaper one???

Pat

Well lets see here

BAR
031330l.jpg

FNAR 7.62x51
FNM0137mb.png

Looks like the same gun to me

John

I don't see that as being a bad thing. I have abused the BAR to no end. I think the addition of a better barrel/crown, adjustable stock and hi cap mag capabilities etc. is a good thing. Just my 2 cents.

A friend of mine has an FNAR. Personally, I think it is one of the ugliest firearms I have ever laid eyes on. I laughed at him when he bought it. It is a little less painful on the eyes when you put some glass on it, but it's still an ugly motherfucker.

However, shooting this weapon is a different story all together. Granted, I was only able to shoot it at 100 yards, but that being said I was able to hold a 3/4" 5 shot group at 100 yards with the gun. This was a. Shooting a rifle I had never shot before, b. shooting off a bench which is something I almost never do, and c. shooting a rifle that I didn't set up, or that wasn't set up for me. I only took 5 shots, but based on those five shots I was pretty damn impressed. I'd like to see what it can do at distance.

Damn, it sure is ugly, though.

I just picked up a light barrel the shop I bought mine from had both heavy and light for $1450. The worst thing with them is magazine availability the 20 rounders are almost noexistant 10 rounders which I prefer are scarce but at $50 pricey. I don't have any regrets as I knew this going in and hopefully it will get better as time goes on. I do agree that they are very accurate for a gas rifle no complaints in that area. The feel is great to me, looks I like, not that it matters it's a tool.

IN_Rifleman, my friend who owns the FNAR has had quite a bit of trouble finding mags too. He called FN USA about 2 weeks ago to iquire about spare mag availability and he was told they have a shipment of 30,000 mags coming in sometime in the near future. Hopefully, if/when that shipment hits the states they will be more available.

I think they will be inconsistent due to the action being a stressed component. Good semi .308. Probaly not a good precision .308.

JMO.

-dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think they will be inconsistent due to the action being a stressed component. Good semi .308. Probaly not a good precision .308.

JMO.

-dan </div></div>

Absolutely a real possibility! Time will tell.

Store near me had one, after fondling it.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I said, FUGLY, and cheap looking POS. ......................antother attempt for FN to get into our wallet's w/ a POS.
On these mags coming in.......LOL
Let us know when you see them...........don't hold your breath.......

Shouldering the weapon and pulling the trigger is the most telling thing. It shot well out of the box with a Leupold Mark 4 pulled off another rifle and quickly dialed in. Zeroed and held after four rounds. No issues cycling any type of ammo (yet!).

It's an FN....20 inch heavy barrel...7.62....20 round capacity.....and it isn't your grandmothers style of AR. No complaints with any of those!

It is in all likelyhood the uglyist rifle I have ever scene/owned, as well as one of the most accurate as far as gas guns are concerned. It shot a solid 1 moa with the half ass handloads I was feeding it with no malfucntions or discernable loss of accuracy over the course of shooting 40 rounds. If FN hadn't dropped the ball on the mag issue than I think we would be seeing alot more of these in use. I bought it because it came to the shoulder better than an M1A. The BAR action doesn't frighten me in precision rifle role, although I am not sure how it would hold up if one was consistantly dumping mags through it; I guess time will tell. If a person wants a lightweight autoloader for moa level engagements on the near side of 600-700 I think it fits the bill.

I'm just curious how FN figured out to make an "accurate" BAR. I own two BARs and they're both reliable hunting rifles, but accurate they are not...

fondled one of these ugly fn's at a local shop and decided the ergonomics sucked not to mention it looks retarded. not what one wants from high dollar excrement.

I had mine at the range this weekend and at the 375 yard line it will easilly keep 10 shots inside of 4" (6 inside 3")off the bipod with no rear bag shooting 147 WWB. I consider that really good for the day considering the wind and a new rifle. I'm not a bipod or rest shooter at all and am not comfortable or very good with one. I most always shoot prone unsupported, sitting or standing.
Looks are in the eye of the beholder, I took the rails off the sides and I like the looks of it. Not that it matters as it is a tool not a decoration.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any chance other .308 mags coud be modified for use in this rifle? Doesn't look so bad in the heavy barrel format. </div></div>

Not as far as I saw. These mags are completely different from any other .308 mags I've ever seen.

I'm new here, so I'll just dive right in. I just picked up the heavy barrel FN, but have not had a chance to shoot it. The ergonomics work for me, and I've heard good things about accuracy as well (for an autoloader).

I'm new to long distance shooting, and was wondering if someone would want to make a suggestion for a good bipod for this rifle? I plan to do mostly bench shooting, but occasionally from the ground as well. I'll keep digging around on the site here to see if I can find anything.

Thanks

I know that FAL, AR10 and M14 mags will not fit in the mag well. I believe it was stupid for FN not to make it to where the FAL or some other mag would work as well.

Welcome, I would recommend a Harris Bipod. Works great on my FNAR. Not the cheapest but good quality. The cheapest I have found on the net have been at Green Mountain Tactical. Good luck

Are you having to clean your barrel from the muzzle? If so, how is it to break down the action for cleaning?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texagator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the ugliest sonofabitch I have ever seen. I know that many working rifles are not works of art but damn.....this thing hurts my eyes. If ugly hurt, this rifle would be on a 24 hour a day morphine drip. </div></div>

Man, that about sums it up for me too. Great description, and great analogy for sure.

Fuckin thing can shoot though. But so can my Savage. And so can my Barrett. And I'm sure when I finally shoot my Remy 700, it will be a shooter too. And they ain't ugly.
laugh.gif

I cleaned my M1A and clean my Garand from the muzzle, and it's not an issue with good equipment.

I wish it had 4" more barrel, and I wonder whether it's actually main-battle-rifle tough.

As usual, I'd love to see this .308 chambered rifle being offered in .260 as well.

Finally, I think it's counterproductive to judge it primarily on looks, and am very interested to hear how well it shoots and stands up to significant usage. I think that usly is as ugly does, and that question still needs anwering, IMHO.

I did some serious looking at the current model Remington 750, and liked what I saw, although I think that as a battle implement it's not in the same class as the Garand. The earlier models had some reliability issues, but <span style="font-style: italic">Gun Tests</span> concluded they had resolved them quite satisfactorily in their latest offering. Alleged to have ten-round magazines available, I was never able to locate any via Internet search, and they are not mentioned on the Remington Web Site.

Greg

I got an FN-AR recently. Initial results are promising. I was testing loads for use in a DPMS LR308, Sako TRG22, and the FN-AR. Shooting was done at 200 yards. While Zeroing the FN-AR, I got a 3 shot group at 200 yards of .441 inch. I thought it had to be a fluke, so I adjusted the scope to what I thought would be the correct POI/POA, and the next 3 shot group was .318 inch group dead center at 200 yards.

It is probably just a fluke to get 2 consecutive groups under half inch at 200 yards, and because I only fired the two groups before I ran out of the test loads I'm not willing to say the rifle will regularly shoot like that. However, they are very promising groups for a relatively new (less than 100 rounds through the barrel) rifle.

The rifle is dead stock with a Redfield 4-16x40 scope with accu-range reticle. Certainly not an ultimate setup, but fine for plinking, and about the same price as the Yugoslavian M76 in 8mm.

Load:
LC77 cases with primer pockets uniformed, flash holes deburred
Federal 210M primers
Nosler 168 grain custom competition bullets
42.5 grains of Varget
C.O.A.L. 2.810
No crimp

I have two BAR rifles. One in 270, the other 338 mag. Both shoot great. I guess the only real appeal to me would be larger case capacity. 270 weighs 7.5lbs., the 338 weighs 8.5lbs. [ w/o scopes & bipods] I think they look pretty cool too. The only guns I feel need work in the looks dept. are some older savages & some of the CZ's. JMHO!

A friend of mine got the FNAR as in impulse buy. It is no better looking in person then it is online, but as far as accuracy is concerned, it really surprised me. It makes him (my friend, a newcomer to the shooting world) look pretty good. Shot a few rounds through it myself and was also impressed for a gas gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got an FN-AR recently. Initial results are promising. I was testing loads for use in a DPMS LR308, Sako TRG22, and the FN-AR. Shooting was done at 200 yards. While Zeroing the FN-AR, I got a 3 shot group at 200 yards of .441 inch. I thought it had to be a fluke, so I adjusted the scope to what I thought would be the correct POI/POA, and the next 3 shot group was .318 inch group dead center at 200 yards.

It is probably just a fluke to get 2 consecutive groups under half inch at 200 yards, and because I only fired the two groups before I ran out of the test loads I'm not willing to say the rifle will regularly shoot like that. However, they are very promising groups for a relatively new (less than 100 rounds through the barrel) rifle.

The rifle is dead stock with a Redfield 4-16x40 scope with accu-range reticle. Certainly not an ultimate setup, but fine for plinking, and about the same price as the Yugoslavian M76 in 8mm.

Load:
LC77 cases with primer pockets uniformed, flash holes deburred
Federal 210M primers
Nosler 168 grain custom competition bullets
42.5 grains of Varget
C.O.A.L. 2.810
No crimp </div></div>

3 shots does not a group make. Try it again with 5 or 10 shots.

I personally dont see anything horribly ugly with it. My best friend and i both have a pair and no surprise that i am a fan. With a little dressing up it is not a bad looking rifle. It wont win any beauty contests but the damn thing can shoot. It has adjustable pieces for stocks and cheek and has a very crips 3.5lb trigger. Magazines are available everywhere now. It is a dream to shoot. The rifle doesnt move. I can see splatter on steel at 600yards easily.

I had Mark at SAC install a PWS PRC brake, NF 2.5-10 scope and harris bipod and it is good to go. I have shot is sub-MOA out to 600yards. There are many reviews of this gun by different magazines that showed it to be 1/2-3/4MOA. I had a five shot group at 600yards measuring 4".

Name one piston driven, semi auto 308, match grade CHF barrel that can shoot guaranteed 1MOA for $1300? Doesnt exist. FN made this to pitch to military and they clearly state that they abused the barrel with 100,000 rounds ans till kept accurate.

P1000936.jpg

P1000937.jpg

P1000939.jpg

P1000941.jpg

I have a 20 in heavy barrel, I considrer myself a crappy shot and yet I am still able to shoot sub moa groups with it. The only problem I have is the itch for something new everymonth or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Subsonic308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone suppressed one yet? </div></div>

I have a regular Dealer customer who sent me one to thread the barrel on. I will ask him how it functions. The barrel just slips in the receiver similar to a Mossberg shotgun. The receiver is aluminum and a couple tension screws and a set screw or two hold the barrel in. Seemed to be a really precise fit.

I don't understand.....is this not snipers hide???? What is the deal with people calling this rifle ugly y'all sound like a bunch of women in vogue magazine talking about shoes!!!!!!! Its a combat gun why would it be classified as beautifull or ugly????? Its built to kill people not put in a dam beauty contest.. hell I want mine ugly. You need to be worrying if it shoots strait, fictions well, and how comfortable it is to shoot not if its "pretty" ....come on sniper up. y'all talking about it being pretty and ugly is embarrassing!!!!!

Very accurate for an out of the box semi auto. I found the heavy barreled version a little unwieldy for off hand shooting- Off the bench or prone is ideal.
As far as "snipering up" with mine, I have never participated on a two-way range nor do I ever have any desire to do so. And for the record, the FNAR is an ugly gun.

Greg,

I believe we are all influenced, especially when purchasing something, by it's outward appearance. It is an incredibly strong factor to why we buy what we buy. People who purchase Ferraris don't do it purely to drive fast. "We", who shoot, all have a mental check list that helps guide our firearm purchases. Some people definitely favor function and reliability over aesthetic with a key focus on accuracy. After all, isn't that why we shoot in the first place. I happen to find the M1 in all it's incarnations to be a thing of true beauty not to mention atrue instrument of war. John Garand truly created a masterpiece here.

Respectfully,

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cleaned my M1A and clean my Garand from the muzzle, and it's not an issue with good equipment.

I wish it had 4" more barrel, and I wonder whether it's actually main-battle-rifle tough.

As usual, I'd love to see this .308 chambered rifle being offered in .260 as well.

Finally, I think it's counterproductive to judge it primarily on looks, and am very interested to hear how well it shoots and stands up to significant usage. I think that usly is as ugly does, and that question still needs anwering, IMHO.

I did some serious looking at the current model Remington 750, and liked what I saw, although I think that as a battle implement it's not in the same class as the Garand. The earlier models had some reliability issues, but <span style="font-style: italic">Gun Tests</span> concluded they had resolved them quite satisfactorily in their latest offering. Alleged to have ten-round magazines available, I was never able to locate any via Internet search, and they are not mentioned on the Remington Web Site.

Greg</div></div>

Bump up for this thread- would like to get some more opinions from others that own one...for instance has reliability been good?

I agree about the ugly comments, but if these will shoot sub-moa for 1400 then I will overlook that. Are the cheek pieces high enough to get a good cheek weld without some kind of stock pack? Sure would like to shoot one, but they seem pretty scarce around here.

I want a semi-auto 308, something reliable and accurate, and if this fits the bill then it sure would save a lot of money. I also like the weight...by the way what do the heavy barrel versions weigh?

Sure wish pmags would work in it though!!

There are plenty of post and opinions here on the hide if you do a search. Some are good some not so good. The biggest gripes you will hear about the gun is it's aesthetics, tacticool look and magazines (when they were unavailable). Just get over all that and you will like it.

I have one in the light barrel version and even though I don't think it is a beautiful gun I would not consider it ugly. The gun does what it says it will and it does not need to be cleaned all that often.

I have shot groups under 1" at 200 yards with it using Fed Match 175 SMK's. It will shoot as good or better than some AR10's I shoot as well.

I shot one 5 shot group few weeks ago to make sure it was sighted in for some upcoming pig hunting and even though I hurried the last shot to the left it still printed 5 in .761" at 100. The top shot was a fouler shot and not part of the group...

IMG-20110929-00111.jpg

This is not a military gun. But is is light weight, easy to handle, very accurate shot to shot and easy to shoot. I have had my trigger adjusted but it is what it is. (light but still scruffy)

fnar1.jpg

I almost bought one but I decided on an M1A EBR instead. I would wait until FNH releases the FNAR Match if I was to get one...

I almost got one that was on clearance locally, but I just cant get past the fact that it's about the most butt ugly thing I've ever seen. Other than that the biggest thing I've heard is it's an overpriced BAR. But accuracy is supposed to be pretty good.

I can't argue the looks. But it has a heavier chrome-lined barrel, high capacity magazine, M-1913 rail for scope mounting. Not meant to be a BAR. Graceful, no. Reliable, hell yes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Action Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NorTac,

Interesting stock set up. How do you like it? What say you all?

Just askin'. </div></div>

The stock is a Browning shortTrac stock. I prefer it over the "tacticool" pistol grip stock for hunting (it does take a little to get use to though).

I did not purchase the rifle to fill a tactical roll as I have plenty to do that. I did not buy the rifle to shoot the fabled "0" inch group at 1000 yards. I simply bought it because it is a semi auto that is light weight, easy to maintain, exceptionally accurate for what it is and is based on a proven reliable action to hunt with. I have several Belgium Browning BARs that are wonderful rifles but not even close when it comes to accuracy. It's just a good solid gun for hunting or informal target practice. I'm not a huge proponent of the rifle but I do think it gets knocked more than it deserves. I'm sure it could easily fill some departmental roll somewhere though.