• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FNH Ballista questions

rickwayne

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2020
Hey everyone,

I just purchased an FN Ballista thats on its way. There is literally no information online about these. I purchased the gun itself in 338 Lapua and the .308 conversion kit.

I just want to make sure that I have everything I need when it arrives. It would be heartbreaking to spend all this money and not be able to use it right away :)

I have a couple questions:

1. Does it come with the quick detach forearm? According to videos this has the necessary tools to do a barrel change in the field (I believe, if someone can confirm this is all you need that would be great). On most websites it says that this is a replacement for the stock parts of equal quality, but I've seen so many photos without it that I think it may not come with it. Here is a link to the part I'm talking about - https://www.eurooptic.com/FN-Ballista-Quick-Detach-Forearm-3703032001.aspx

2. Do I need to get the operators tool kit? Are there any parts in here that won't be covered if I were to get a fixit stix kit instead? I have no problem spending the $250 on the tool kit if there are unique tools that I need. https://www.eurooptic.com/FN-Ballista-Operator-s-Tool-Kit-3703036000.aspx

3. Does it come with with the buttstock grip extension? Again same thing here it says the following on eurooptic, but I believe it may not come with this :
FN Ballista Buttstock Grip Extension. This is a FN America factory OEM accessory. Made to the same factory specifications, materials, and standards as the accessories currently on your FN America firearm. Feel secure in knowing the accessory you order will be the same as the worn or missing accessory from your FN America Firearm.
https://www.eurooptic.com/FN-Ballista-Buttstock-Grip-Extension-3703031001.aspx

Call whoever you bought it from and ask, because what comes with it may vary by retailer, or they should be able to tell you what tools/kits they recommend.

Failing that, call eurooptic. Those dudes are awesome. I'm sure they can set you straight.

I can save you the call.

The Ballista does not come with the QD forearm (QD forearm does includes two wrenches) nor the buttstock grip extension. These are optional accessories. The Operators Tool Kit is not specifically needed for the caliber change, but it does provide all of the tools needed in a single kit with a case. Caliber change requires no special tools.

Tools you will need for a caliber change:
  • T-25 Wrench (included with the rifle)
  • T-20 Wrench (also included with the rifle)
  • T-25 bit
  • Torque wrench set at 70 in/lbs with the bit above
You may already have these tools on your bench or in your tool box.

All you will need to shoot your rifle when it arrives is a scope, scope mount, a bipod (if not shooting off of a bench tripod or sand bag) and ammo, of course. If using a bipod, it will need to attach to M1913 rail. The rifle includes a 4" rail on the forend in the 6 o'clock position. Additional rails are available as accessories including a 2" rail with QD stud.

Hope this helps and enjoy your new rifle. If you have questions about any particular rifle, call the manufacturer. FN can easily answer your questions quickly and directly.

AG

I can save you the call.

The Ballista does not come with the QD forearm (QD forearm does includes two wrenches) nor the buttstock grip extension. These are optional accessories. The Operators Tool Kit is not specifically needed for the caliber change, but it does provide all of the tools needed in a single kit with a case. Caliber change requires no special tools.

Tools you will need for a caliber change:
  • T-25 Wrench (included with the rifle)
  • T-20 Wrench (also included with the rifle)
  • T-25 bit
  • Torque wrench set at 70 in/lbs with the bit above
You may already have these tools on your bench or in your tool box.

All you will need to shoot your rifle when it arrives is a scope, scope mount, a bipod (if not shooting off of a bench tripod or sand bag) and ammo, of course. If using a bipod, it will need to attach to M1913 rail. The rifle includes a 4" rail on the forend in the 6 o'clock position. Additional rails are available as accessories including a 2" rail with QD stud.

Hope this helps and enjoy your new rifle. If you have questions about any particular rifle, call the manufacturer. FN can easily answer your questions quickly and directly.

AG

Hi AG,

I was wondering if you know whether the barrel extension of the Ballista is removable? Was trying to rebarrel my rifle but cannot find any information. Many thanks.

You do not need the quick detachable forearm. By all means buy it, if you like the looks and have the coin to purchase it. I would not buy the FN tool kit. I would buy the same name brand tools from a precision tool maker. Go ahead and buy the .308 WIN conversion kit and a hi quality scope mount and glass.

With the Ballista you purchased a precision exotic that is essentially given away. The same rifle is priced around 9000+ euros in Europe. Run the #'s with the current exchange rate. Yep. It's a bargain.

FN mucked up the marketing of the rifle and was only interested in US market share to carrot dangle the item during the PSR contract. How many years did the civvies have to wait. Great job with marketing. Take a bow. This thing was announced at the 2012 Shot Show. With the PSR contract awarded to Remington (at the time) FN has since become indifferent. They are interested in selling pallets and pallets of weapons.

Congrats on the rifle purchase.

Also, when you get tired of the grip safety, just know that you can actually remove it pretty easily without messing up anything. Grip mounts and unscrews just like a standard AR grip, and after that it's just a matter of removing a couple pieces of basic metal.

Barrels thread into the barrel extensions just like a normal receiver. Right hand threads but lots of strong thread locker. You'll need heat and a wrench made to grip the barrel extension will help immensely. There are two ways to grab the barrel extension: make a wrench that fits the bolt head profile and engage it on the inside contour. A simpler wrench would fit around the outside and engage the keyway / groove on the bottom. Either one will need to fit tight to avoid damage to the parts. I don't know of anyone who has done this successfully, but I sure someone has tried and succeeded.

Of course FN will advise you this voids your warranty, specifically on the barrel assembly. At this point you may not care.

If you decide to proceed, do so with caution.

AG

Last edited:
Barrels thread into the barrel extensions just like a normal receiver. Right hand threads but lots of strong thread locker. You'll need heat and a wrench made to grip the barrel extension will help immensely. There are two ways to grab the barrel extension: make a wrench that fits the bolt head profile and engage it on the inside contour. A simpler wrench would fit around the outside and engage the keyway / groove on the bottom. Either one will need to fit tight to avoid damage to the parts. I don't know of anyone who has done this successfully, but I sure someone has tried and succeeded.

Of course FN will advise you this voids your warranty, specifically on the barrel assembly. At this point you may not care.

If you decide to proceed, do so with caution.

AG
Thank you for the information. The rifle is so good but the aftermarket support is like non-exist. Hope FN could provide more caliber option like 6.5 or just sell the barrel extension alone.