• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FNH Ballista

ANG Pilot

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2013
Has anyone here shot the FNH Ballista? Impressions or comments?

Thanks

dont believe its out yet...I wanted one for a while but got tired of waiting and got a DTA SRS

Doubt it will out any time soon and have always wondered about FNH customer service. I am also ordering a DTA SRS Covert A1 in the next few weeks. Available, dependable, flexible and good CS. What's not to like ?

can anyone recommend some stores where i could get on some sort of waiting list for a ballista?

I have not shot the Ballista, but I handled one at SHOT show. I think its a pretty solid rifle. It may benefit you to contact Action Guy here on the hide, he is the customer rep for FNH and an all around good guy. He could tell you the most about the platform. As far as customer service goes FNH does stand behind their products...I had a SPR replaced for a common barrel issue. However, I would be more worried about the Ballista, should it ever need a service since it is built in Germany by Unique Alpine. However, if it is correctly assembled you should never need service work.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Jared

'There are couple of vendors on another forum taking orders if you're interested in one, plus OMB guns is listed as the exclusive FN distributor according to a recent FN press release. I didn't see an ETA, but the Mil/Leo price is $5800 for the rifle and an additional $1995 each for the .300 Win Mag and 7.62 barrel/bolt face configurations.

I'm not associated with them in any way... I'll pass the info by PM if interested. I'm not sure what the availability or standard price is for non-Mil/LEO.

Does anyone have more news about the Ballista? Can't seem to find any shops that have received any....

Put my name on a wait list at a number of shops, but no further info.

Per conversation with Customer service 9 months ago, they said it would be out now, may FNH has gone the way of Barrett, tons of excitement and lots of waiting.

This really sucks... Its been available in Canada for 8 months. The distributor in Canada is expecting his 3rd shipment already.

I spoke to FNH at SHOT show in January and they said it was going to ship SOON.... now 4 months later, still nothing.

I think that the importation process into the US is holding these up. Atleast, thats what our rep told us.

I guess we'll never see a Ballista...LOL

I have seen them at SHOT in 2012, 2013 and SHOT 2014 is around the corner, and still no rifle to be found anywhere... What a joke.

I will go out on a limb here and really make some crap up. But the SOCOM PSR contract has finally been awarded, "Officially". With the knowledge, maybe that will give FNH motive to go into a different direction? Maybe they will announce a release here at 2014 SHOT?

I know David Voss from FNH is a member here. Maybe he will chime in. Action Guy or something close is his handle.

TTR

What are the prices supposed to be like for the ballista?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometime June FNH reps told me they're looking forward to start deliver Ballista at the end of September. That's quite a long September isn't it?

Sometime June FNH reps told me they're looking forward to start deliver Ballista at the end of September. That's quite a long September isn't it?

I had asked a regional dealer of mine about that earlier in the year. They weren't exactly expecting the Ballistia to show up anytime soon, but they did get barrel prices from FNH and quoted me.

I honestly don't recall what it was. Couple grand per barrel I think. But I didn't commit it to memory as I expected it to be vapor anyway.

TTR

Shot the only sample Ballistia in the US back in May. Last word from FN (late October) was import paperwork was very, very slow in coming from the .gov

Solid, accurate, fun...we ran about two dozen folks (95% not regular shooters) behind it to distances out to 300 yards. Targets were steel plates and binary explosive targets with most everyone getting a hit or two with their allotted rounds (the FN pros had the rifle and dope dialed in for the range). Really hard to form a strong impression with just a few rounds. Can't recall the glass they had mounted...

Wait.....Did Tactical Shirt Rep say a couple grand per barrel???????

Wait.....Did Tactical Shirt Rep say a couple grand per barrel???????

I'm honestly fuzzy on it. Might have been 1700--1800--ish. But tax, title, and tags might be knocking very close to 2k. I recall that being my "emotional" reaction.

But….I guess it depends on your perspective. Those Barrett guys have been waiting forever for caliber conversion for their rifle. I honestly think FNH, if they deliver it, will also deliver barrels. I don't view FNH as a true vapor ware company.

Also….knowing a little bit about the industry, there is more than just "Making the gun" and "getting it here". If it's made in Europe, that originator country gets a say. Getting it approved into the US is a thing. Then…there are compliance issues with BATFE. A Real SCAR Heavy or Light can't have a semi-auto trigger dropped in it that can be easily converted to Class III by the user. So…there are changes. Testing on the maker's end. Approval from the originator nation. And final approval by BATFE for commercial consumption.

My point….it all takes time. So much so, you are in essence (at least with the SCARS) effective introducing new models for the American Market.

How I see it anyway.

TTR

Ya but for just a barrel....thats crazy. People bag on the cost of the AI PSR....but its barrels are normal priced....

yeah I believe you get a PSR barrel and a bolt for that price vs just a ballista barrel.

That is probably correct. Since there aren't 30 different calibers at play here, one would need a bolt to match case-head family for different rounds.

I don't believe the Ballistia just changes heads. It does require an entire bolt. So…that explains the cost difference as well.

Good catch.

TTR

I know David Voss from FNH is a member here. Maybe he will chime in. Action Guy or something close is his handle.

TTR

LOL - it's actually Benjamin Voss...

The rifles are around $6000 or so, and barrel conversions to be around $2000 per caliber (so around $10000 with full 308, 300 Win and 338 barrel set) - making it a lot cheaper than the AI PSR kit at $17200 - although the AI version has a nice fitted case, drag bag and a bunch of spare mags included.

German export paperwork was apparently the hold-up. Hopefully they get that sorted out sooner rather than later. :)

Will see what SHOT holds - supposed to be a new AI psr-type rifle announced.

Ballista has been repeatedly delayed recently for a number of reasons. Most of those center around getting the rifle from Germany into the US. That's as specific as I will get on this topic.

The rifle is coming. Because every anticipated time line has been missed, I will no longer publically speculate as to when. All I can say is that it is still coming.

The rifle will ship with two magazines, one high cap, one low cap, 20 MOA rails across the receiver and the top of the chassis, one 4" rail in the 6 o'clock position, and in a case with molded insert.

When it is released, all three calibers will be available. The base rifle will only be available as a .338 Lapau. The other calibers are only available as caliber kits. This may change in the future as market demand and interest in base rifles in other than .338 is confirmed. Caliber kits will include one barrel, one bolt head for that caliber and one magazine. The bolt head is all that is required to accomplish the caliber change on the bolt. The bolt body and firing pin assembly are universal across calibers.

The rifle will deliver in a Storm/Pelican case with a molded insert that holds the rifle with pockets for the other caliber kits, suppressor, bipod (attached) and optic (attached) and numerous magazines. Yes, magazines will be available in all three calibers, and yes, they are proprietary. The magazine well is also universal to all three magazine types.

Other calibers may become available as the system gets into the market. These other calibers may or may not sell as kits, based on the bolt head that is required for it. For now, we have to get the base rifle into the market.

Speculated costs posted here by others are not far off. Rifle around $6k-$7k, caliber kits around $1,800. I don't work in sales and the final price is set by the dealer, so I cannot add more specifics. The idea is that a Ballista customer can buy the system "a la cart". You don't have to buy "all in" if you do not want to or cannot afford to do so right now. However, everything in the system would be available if you wanted it all at once.

I am as frustrated as anyone with the delays in the Ballista to the commercial market. It's a free market and people can choose someone else's rifle. FNH understands this and is doing everything it can to launch the rifle.

If/when there is more news to report on a SOLID date, like "it is shipping now", I will post.

LOL - it's actually Benjamin Voss...

The rifles are around $6000 or so, and barrel conversions to be around $2000 per caliber (so around $10000 with full 308, 300 Win and 338 barrel set) - making it a lot cheaper than the AI PSR kit at $17200 - although the AI version has a nice fitted case, drag bag and a bunch of spare mags included.

German export paperwork was apparently the hold-up. Hopefully they get that sorted out sooner rather than later. :)

Will see what SHOT holds - supposed to be a new AI psr-type rifle announced.

Yep, I'm busted. Getting people's names incorrect in person is bad enough.

TTR

Last edited:
Ben, there is some solid information in this post. I for one am grateful. Besides the specifics, there is also the statement that it IS coming. That is a huge deal. I suspect a lot of American customers are fearful FNH might be getting tired of US politics and just stop bringing stuff in. But it certainly seems to be that FNH is still intent on such.

I also "think" some customers in Canada have taken delivery of it.

Since we are on the subject of what you do know: is there any hint as to what the factory accuracy goals are and with what round? Kind of like with the A3g?

TTR

Ballista has been repeatedly delayed recently for a number of reasons. Most of those center around getting the rifle from Germany into the US. That's as specific as I will get on this topic.

The rifle is coming. Because every anticipated time line has been missed, I will no longer publically speculate as to when. All I can say is that it is still coming.

The rifle will ship with two magazines, one high cap, one low cap, 20 MOA rails across the receiver and the top of the chassis, one 4" rail in the 6 o'clock position, and in a case with molded insert.

When it is released, all three calibers will be available. The base rifle will only be available as a .338 Lapau. The other calibers are only available as caliber kits. This may change in the future as market demand and interest in base rifles in other than .338 is confirmed. Caliber kits will include one barrel, one bolt head for that caliber and one magazine. The bolt head is all that is required to accomplish the caliber change on the bolt. The bolt body and firing pin assembly are universal across calibers.

The rifle will deliver in a Storm/Pelican case with a molded insert that holds the rifle with pockets for the other caliber kits, suppressor, bipod (attached) and optic (attached) and numerous magazines. Yes, magazines will be available in all three calibers, and yes, they are proprietary. The magazine well is also universal to all three magazine types.

Other calibers may become available as the system gets into the market. These other calibers may or may not sell as kits, based on the bolt head that is required for it. For now, we have to get the base rifle into the market.

Speculated costs posted here by others are not far off. Rifle around $6k-$7k, caliber kits around $1,800. I don't work in sales and the final price is set by the dealer, so I cannot add more specifics. The idea is that a Ballista customer can buy the system "a la cart". You don't have to buy "all in" if you do not want to or cannot afford to do so right now. However, everything in the system would be available if you wanted it all at once.

I am as frustrated as anyone with the delays in the Ballista to the commercial market. It's a free market and people can choose someone else's rifle. FNH understands this and is doing everything it can to launch the rifle.

If/when there is more news to report on a SOLID date, like "it is shipping now", I will post.

A shipment has already made it to canada and the next batch is supposed to be here next month. I was quoted cad$8500 but if msrp is supposed to be around usd$6000 I think I can wait a little longer!

Would definitely love to see more information on its accuracy as well if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben, thanks a million - this is good info. I will come and chat to you at SHOT.

TacticalshirtsREP, yes the Ballista has been available in Canada for some time (first units delivered to customers in 2012 already), but in small quantities and not as a Ballista, but as a Unique Alpine TPG-3a1. Calgary Shooting Centre is the distributor, and imported around 4 or 5 at a time - I don't think they brought in more than 10 units so far.

FNH USA has no control over what happens in Canada, or any other country for that matter. Unique Alpine handles all the other countries and those rifles will be the Unique Alpine TPG-3. They are essentially the same rifle, but UA will handle all the pricing, distribution, support, etc.

Accuracy out of the box will be guaranteed at 1 MOA. Does not sound like much, I know. First, this is what the SOCOM PSR contract called for (at 1000 yards). Second, once the barrel gets seasoned after about 120 rounds, the accuracy improves dramatically. It does take the seasoning to accomplish this, so the accuracy guarantee is kept at 1 MOA out of the box.

By the way, the commercial Ballista barrels are made in-house by Unique Alpine and are hammer-forged, non-chrome lined with a polygonal rifling. In the .338 the twist rate is 1:9", in .300 WM it is 1:10", and in .308 Win it is 1:11". Accuracy is tested using match grade loads, typically with the Sierra MatchKing. .338 LM : 300gr SMK, .300 WM : 190gr or 220gr SMK, .308 Win : 168gr or 175gr SMK.

Neither FNH nor Unique Alpine will sell just the barrel extensions.

Had the chance to run one with Ben up at Allegheny and I can say, if I had the cash I would definitely be an owner! We went from cal to cal and with pre determined zeros we were making hits with ease.
System was simple and efficient throughout the range of calibers.

FNH USA has no control over what happens in Canada, or any other country for that matter. Unique Alpine handles all the other countries and those rifles will be the Unique Alpine TPG-3. They are essentially the same rifle, but UA will handle all the pricing, distribution, support, etc.

Accuracy out of the box will be guaranteed at 1 MOA. Does not sound like much, I know. First, this is what the SOCOM PSR contract called for (at 1000 yards). Second, once the barrel gets seasoned after about 120 rounds, the accuracy improves dramatically. It does take the seasoning to accomplish this, so the accuracy guarantee is kept at 1 MOA out of the box.

By the way, the commercial Ballista barrels are made in-house by Unique Alpine and are hammer-forged, non-chrome lined with a polygonal rifling. In the .338 the twist rate is 1:9", in .300 WM it is 1:10", and in .308 Win it is 1:11". Accuracy is tested using match grade loads, typically with the Sierra MatchKing. .338 LM : 300gr SMK, .300 WM : 190gr or 220gr SMK, .308 Win : 168gr or 175gr SMK.

Neither FNH nor Unique Alpine will sell just the barrel extensions.

To me thats a deal killer. So to basically get extra barrel extensions you have to buy the 1800 dollar kits. Makes no damn sense to me.

To me thats a deal killer. So to basically get extra barrel extensions you have to buy the 1800 dollar kits. Makes no damn sense to me.

Well, think about it this way - at around $6000 for the 338 Lapua, and $3600 for the extra 2 barrel kits, you have a Ballista in 308 Win, 300 Win and 338 Lapua with fitted Pelican case, extra mags etc all for under $10000. Buy the same thing in Accuracy Intl and you fork out $17000.

I think under $10000 for everything you get is a solidly good price. And now you need only 1 good scope for essentially 3 rifles. I cannot wait to get one ordered. Been waiting over 2 years to buy one now - saw it at SHOT 2 years ago and wanted one the first time I looked at it. Pity it's been such an incredibly LONG wait.

Well, think about it this way - at around $6000 for the 338 Lapua, and $3600 for the extra 2 barrel kits, you have a Ballista in 308 Win, 300 Win and 338 Lapua with fitted Pelican case, extra mags etc all for under $10000. Buy the same thing in Accuracy Intl and you fork out $17000.

I think under $10000 for everything you get is a solidly good price. And now you need only 1 good scope for essentially 3 rifles. I cannot wait to get one ordered. Been waiting over 2 years to buy one now - saw it at SHOT 2 years ago and wanted one the first time I looked at it. Pity it's been such an incredibly LONG wait.

Flawed logic.

Since you used the AI as a comparative.

1.) Yes the PSR is expensive. But I also don't need bullshit barrel extensions that they won't sell separate.
2.) I've got no idea how this rifle's toughness stacks up to a AI....but AI is well known for the abuse it'll take.
3.) The PSR comes with ALOT of shit. Whether you want it or not...price it all out and it adds up to the value most of us pay. If you think someone actually pays 17k for it.....I got a bridge for ya to buy.

I could care less about the price between the two. The fact they won't sell barrel extensions is bullshit. What if I want a .308 barrel and a .260(or what the fuck ever) while keeping the 300wm and 338 complete. I've now got to buy a barrel(or set) just to pull it apart for the extension. Where the fuck is the logic in that.

Last edited:
We are all entitled to our own opinions. :) I like the Ballista, and a friend has had The UA version for over a year and it shoots the lights out.

I'd think more people who are in the market for an AI AX would go for the ballista than anything. Its a no brainer to go with the ballista over an AX now given its modular and comes with so much more for the same price of just a base AI AX. The people who are going to get a PSR probably don't care about the price as much given you are looking at 20k+ to get into it (figuring in glass). I agree the $1800 kits for the ballista seriously sucks but that could change anytime to be sold individually. After it hits the market I can't imagine they won't be getting a ton of complaints about being forced to buy an entire kit.

When has logic ever come into FN's marketing/sales/production plans?? If they ever release the SSR to our market it will probably be north of $5k for a rifle that shouldn't cost much more than a regular 17s and they will probably purposely keep production low to keep prices high. Either that or they suck at mass producing shit, which is sad given the technology of the day. The Ballista looks like a sweet guun though :).
Flawed logic.

Since you used the AI as a comparative.

1.) Yes the PSR is expensive. But I also don't need bullshit barrel extensions that they won't sell separate.
2.) I've got no idea how this rifle's toughness stacks up to a AI....but AI is well known for the abuse it'll take.
3.) The PSR comes with ALOT of shit. Whether you want it or not...price it all out and it adds up to the value most of us pay. If you think someone actually pays 17k for it.....I got a bridge for ya to buy.

I could care less about the price between the two. The fact they won't sell barrel extensions is bullshit. What if I want a .308 barrel and a .260(or what the fuck ever) while keeping the 300wm and 338 complete. I've now got to buy a barrel(or set) just to pull it apart for the extension. Where the fuck is the logic in that.

"Tactical weapons" just did a writeup on the FN A5 TBM, good gun from the report. They also had articles on another M1A makeover, another AR-15, seasprite helicopter(Like that's in my future soon), surgeon rifles(pretty good article), all in all, other than the advertisers ( I like to look at the pictures)I spent $7.95 for R Lee Ermy's article in the back about Kalifornicate becoming another nanny state, Hey R Lee, find a chainsaw yet?? I will ship you any knife you want!

I have every reason to believe the SSR is coming. FWIW. If one checks around to the right places, that is the thinking.

However, that could change 5 minutes after I post this.

I also can't help but feel the current administration doesn't help. Let's be real here….FNH is in business to make money. Things looks very bad politically in January of 2013. And from an outsiders standpoint (European gun maker), that must have come out of nowhere. Makes it kinda hard to companies to invest millions in products that might be shut down.

In the end, who knows?

TTR

I am sold I will take the whole kit. Now if i can just find one? Sometimes finding things is part of the allure but for three cals at maybe 11 or 12g's its not too bad per unit.
Awesome looking piece. If they guarantee one moa with factory should go one half with tuning. Sign me up!!!