• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FNSPR vs Sako TRG22

alaskajetpilot

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2007
Washington
Came into a little windfall recently and looking to buy my next rifle. I already own a Remington 700 by GAP and a Tikka TAC rifle. The FN by TAC-CORD has me seriously considering it instead of the TRG due to its price point. Am I making a mistake? What are the pro and cons of each rifle? If a used TRG comes up that could alter my choice. Thanks.

Re: FNSPR vs Sako TRG22

With that kind of price range it's almost all about the preferences. Which one do you honestly like better??? Aside from the price difference. Which one catches your eyes more? Feels right or even Looks Better? Parts availibility is also another issue, not to mention any accessories for the TRG will be expensive as well. It's a lot of $$$ to drop on another rifle but looking at your list, I'm sure you're capable of coping with the cost. I'd say go for the one that attracts you the most and has the best track record with accuracy, reliability, and well resell value in case you need to get rid of it in the future as well. Good Luck sir, both are great choices and a lot of rifle.

For what are your other rifles chambered? If they are both .308...and you reload, why would you bother with another .308?

Gone Mach, I was kinda in the predicament and undecided. I was torn between the AI and TRG 22. It seemed I liked both the same. What made the final decision was a used ANIB TRG22 that I found, actually it was another Snipers Hide member that alerted me to the location of the used TRG. Now lucky for me the TRG already had the Sako bipod, ITRS Rail and scope picatini on it, all I need now is the brake. I got mine for $2800 with the extras I mentioned. I don't know about you but I'm not rich, and these guns are all pricy. I do also look at resale value and I know that the TRG is very sellable and I sure there are a lot of guy's out there waiting to find one used because they can't buy new. If money is an issue do what I did and ask here on S/H for help, everybody here are very helpful. Take your time and you will find it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy the TRG and you will sell all the others. </div></div>
+1

The TRG is amazing.... The FN is just a Winchester with a high price tag. You will not like the price of the TRG but the performance is outstanding.

I'm a fan of both companies...but if I could only choose one...I say get the TRG...but I say get the TRG in a 260 over another 308.

Thanks for all the replies. Leaning toward the TRG. Now it someone had a niced used one for sale.......!
wink.gif

I cannot comment about the TRG but I can offer some feedback about the FN SPR.

First I would suggest you check with FN about any rifle that some of the online dealers are selling. They might not even be a authorized FN dealer. Ask for the serial # of the gun you are about to purchase and check with FN to see if they are going to honor the warranty. Some of the guns being offered have been pieced together with actions purchased from CDNN that were discontinued and FN WILL NOT HONOR THE WARRANTY ON THESE GUNS.

You can purchase a current model that has also been bedded and test fired by the factory with a full warranty for under $2000 shipped. It will shoot sub MOA. Mine shoots 1/2 MOA with the right ammo.

If you have purchased one of these onlines guns I would check with FN ASAP to see if it is going to be covered under warranty.

I AM BIASED - I have TRG22 and can't see a reason to buy another rifle, it wouldn't do anything the TRG can't. Especially not in my hands.

Hey Bacarrat, now all you need for your TRG is the Sako ITRS Rail to complete that rig, and guess what I have one for sale. The TRG I just got came with one and I could use the cash to get a brake. this rail is like new so if interested let me know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peterh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Bacarrat, now all you need for your TRG is the Sako ITRS Rail to complete that rig, and guess what I have one for sale. The TRG I just got came with one and I could use the cash to get a brake. this rail is like new so if interested let me know. </div></div>
Why would I need to rail up my TRG? And plus, it's for sale....

I had my first session, with my New TRG 42, in 300 win mag. I've been shooting a 5R, till now. All I can say is WOW! Sighting in at 100, got boring. My buddy and I started to wait for a fly to land on the target, so we could have a "little" challenge, and hit it before it took off. Hitting bulls was too easy. Can't wait for the weekend, and the 6ooyd. range. Oh, that was with factory Winchester 180s. Not even Blackhills stuff, or Match ammo. I'd strongly suggest calling Europtic. They were great! I got a little "obsessive-compulsive", with the buy{I agree about the pricey aspect}. I got the brake. It Really does help. Feels softer than the 308. Did not get the Bipod. Limped along, with a Harris. Spent an hour in the shop, yesterday, and made a rail for my GG&G to fit on the Sako. Did not want to spend $450, on a bipod. They should include it , with the gun, in my opinion. And a K of ammo, while I'm "wishing". But all in all, I'm extremely happy with the TRG, and Europtic!It hurt a little, to write the check, but after the first day on the range, I have no regrets. It's a sweet piece.

The TRG is in a whole other class.

I have a background as an overseas contractor armorer for the DOS, to include M24s,SR25s, M240s, M249s, blah, blah etc, etc. Stateside, I have spent time in FNs factory multiple times and consider it first rate.

That being said, when it comes to bolt guns, while I own numerous examples from various manufacturers, the Sako TRG is finest example of an off the shelf bolt gun I have ever used. In fact most custom jobs wont even touch it.

I just took delivery of a Sako TRG-22 today with the 2nd generation folding stock from Euro Optic. Big thanks to Alex, Jason, and Keefer. I've been an AR guy and this is my first bolt gun.

I think I made a big mistake because it set the bar TOO high. This thing is solid like a vault. It feels like teflon. I've fooled with a few sticks in the past but the trigger on the TRG is incredible. If you buy something like a Sako or AI, you're going to pay for it up front but the upgrade bug is dead. You've beat the final end boss without working your way through the lower levels. You probably save money in the long run (that's what I tell myself as I wait for a Hensoldt!)

I have both the TRG and the SPR. The SPR has the A-4 stock on it.Both rifles couldn't be more opposit if you tried. Dont get me wrong the SPR is a great rifle and its the one my wife likes to shoot most. The fit, feel and adjustments of the TRG put it in a class of its own. Everyone who shoots is just falls in love with it, and swears there going to buy one when they get the money. If you handle one you will see for yourself. Best advice is to handle both them make up your mind from there. FN claims 1 moa or less, My TRG can best that all day long shooting 10 shot groups. Nuf said.