• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Focal Planes: is the FFP worth it for mil dot?

Re: Focal Planes: is the FFP worth it for mil dot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrHiggins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Gil Horsley, Atlanta, GA
</div></div>

I'm still at a loss to understand how an FFP scope is going to get one of our snipers killed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KY- Your crate of same must be short a bowl. </div></div>

You got caught stealing is what your trying to say?
Or you just chime in from time to time with rather dull comments?

</div></div>

Little fella, I welcome the day you demonstrate that you are anything more than a self-important silver-spoon bloviator. Just because you can afford gear, does not mean you actually know how to use it.

Let's see you give something back to this community other than your tough-guy policing of newbies and their slightly less informed commentary.

Please, prove me wrong.

</div></div>

Spot on, though I admit I had to Google the word "bloviator" to confirm
grin.gif

Ha, I thought he made that word up, just googled it as well. I'll be using that one in the future.

Bloviating is a term popularized by Bill O'Rielly.

FFP will save more Sniper's lives if anything. It allows rapid engagement of multiple targets with different holds for elevation and windage. To me, if they need that one shot, they can still make that single long range shot, but if enemy are moving on the team, they need to discourage that movement in a rapid manner to provide time for the QRF or extraction to get to their POS. FFP enables that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KY- Your crate of same must be short a bowl. </div></div>

</div></div>

Little fella, I welcome the day you demonstrate that you are anything more than a self-important silver-spoon bloviator. Just because you can afford gear, does not mean you actually know how to use it.

Let's see you give something back to this community other than your tough-guy policing of newbies and their slightly less informed commentary.

Please, prove me wrong.

</div></div>

shocked.gif

But srsly, FFP is great! The problem I run into...is I have a 3-9 FFP Super Sniper, and you can barely take advantage of the reticle unless its above 6X power. So there is a very small useable range of power.

Usually I just leave it cranked on 9...works fine for everything i've done so far, minus moving targets (haven't done those yet).

</div></div>

Please, prove me wrong.

</div></div>

Haha, another winner. Take some of your own advice. Follow me around much?
Didn't see you commenting on the 2 people before me that had something to insert about the statement in question.

Since when is defending a well known member a knock on gear and the use of that gear?

Are you confused?

I have only a couple of years into the long range shooting sport
first I bought Night force scope
and today I received my S@B 5-25x56
ffp
and just to think that I will be able to use the ash marks at any power to me is invaluable
with the spf NF I was stuck on full power so if there was mirage I was in trouble
and near target the field of view was limited and using ash mark was impossible if I turned down the power to have more view
to me the US sniper in Irak are better suited with ffp

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HD1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
But srsly, FFP is great! The problem I run into...is I have a 3-9 FFP Super Sniper, and you can barely take advantage of the reticle unless its above 6X power. So there is a very small useable range of power.

Usually I just leave it cranked on 9...works fine for everything i've done so far, minus moving targets (haven't done those yet). </div></div>

Everyone always mentions that FFP reticles have limited or no use at low powers, however I have yet to find myself using that low of a power when I am using wind or elevation holdovers. Most times I've had to dial under 10X I'm shooting a distance that the wind isn't a factor and leading may mean the leading edge of the target on a mover.....

I've said it before, FFP or fixed for me. Most folks that have ever lost a match, a quarry (hopefully not a battle) from holding when the scope was at the wrong power know what I'm referring to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HD1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Usually I just leave it cranked on 9...works fine for everything i've done so far, minus moving targets (haven't done those yet). </div></div>

Everyone always mentions that FFP reticles have limited or no use at low powers, however I have yet to find myself using that low of a power when I am using wind or elevation holdovers. Most times I've had to dial under 10X I'm shooting a distance that the wind isn't a factor and leading may mean the leading edge of the target on a mover.....

I've said it before, FFP or fixed for me. Most folks that have ever lost a match, a quarry (hopefully not a battle) from holding when the scope was at the wrong power know what I'm referring to. </div></div>

Actually no, If I am shooting at say, 500 Yards, I like to use 5 Power. If i'm shooting 700 yards, I like to shoot on 7 Power. Shooting at 500 yards with a Full Value 10 to 15 MPH wind, I hold for wind using my FFP Mildot reticle. That's damn near impossible because the reticle is almost non-existent on 5 power. So it forces me to turn up to around 6 to 9 Power so that I can make use of the reticle.

I don't know what your method is...but I'm not like some of the guys I shoot with, that shoot on Max Power all the time on their High Varible Magnification scopes. I could not get used to that if I had to.

You must shoot some big targets.....or eat a lot of carrots.

I hear online that you only need 1X per 100yds, but I never see anyone using a 10X by choice at comps that run out to 1K......

Here's what gopher poppers look like at 500yds at 15-17X (not sure what I had my scope on):
dcff2d02.jpg

Good luck with them at 5X.

Like I said, some things sound good online.....

The poppers are about .2 mil wide each on the berm directly above 3/4, 4/5, 5/6, 6/7.....that's an MGM precision rifle target on the top berm.

Sorry 'bout the crappy phone pic, I just took it Sunday for the heck of it while waiting my turn.....

I shoot steel plates varying between 6 inches in diameter to about 14 inches. At distances between 440 yards to 780 yards.

I can easily match 1X per 100 yards. I'm 25 years old and wear glasses. My 3-9 Super Sniper has more than enough clarity to let me see the targets. Making out the Mil Dot ticks at lower power is another thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KY- Your crate of same must be short a bowl. </div></div>

</div></div>
KY,if you check w/ the gentleman that assembled your MK12, I believe he can vouche for Scouts capabilities!

I have to say that you lot are kinda convincing me to go FFP with my next scope. I did want a NXS 3.5-15x50 MLR SFP but am thinking about going for a FFP now. The issue is that most of my shooting is range work or at a mates property shooting long range at targets. I dont shoot movers or anything like that and my reticle nearly always stays on the highest power, but I do want to try movers and alike one day. I can see both points of view. I also want to try some stress shooting and a lot more at unknown ranges.

Cheers for the info guys. Now just to decide when I get the cash.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickoz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to say that you lot are kinda convincing me to go FFP with my next scope. I did want a NXS 3.5-15x50 MLR SFP but am thinking about going for a FFP now. The issue is that most of my shooting is range work or at a mates property shooting long range at targets. I dont shoot movers or anything like that and my reticle nearly always stays on the highest power, but I do want to try movers and alike one day. I can see both points of view. I also want to try some stress shooting and a lot more at unknown ranges.

Cheers for the info guys. Now just to decide when I get the cash. </div></div>

Movers and unknown ranges are certainly a strong point for FFP, but for the paper and steel guys shooting at known ranges - I think there is a HUGE additional advantage to FFP. The ability to shoot on any Magnification, see a miss, and use the reticle to measure the miss distance and get the next shot on target because I can see its .2 mils right and .3 mils low for example and then adjust without having to do math is worth every penny to me.

yes the reticle goes small when going down on power that is why I chose the P4 on my S@B 5-25x56 and with this reticle I can see it clearly down to 5x the P4fine well its to fine......
even at 25x it covers only 2and1/2 inches at 1000 yards for regular steel target its great
if I would of chosen a bench rest scope I would of taken a NF 12-42x56

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrHiggins</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, I personaly think the military made a huge mistake going to a front Focal plane reticle in the Schmidt and Bender that will just end up in our Snipers getting killed.</div></div>

Well, since one of the Marine Scout/Snipers who was involved in making that decision hangs out on this system, I'm sure he will deeply appreciate your opinion, since I'm sure his experience in the field pales compared to your's.
</div></div>

How do you know what this posters background is. Does he have to pass some kind of internet vetting test before his opinion is not patronized on this site. Maybe he speaks from a level of experience unknown to you. Why not give him the benefit of doubt until proven wrong!

Gil Horsley, Atlanta,GA</div></div>

At least you were smart enough to Apologize, Welcome to the Hide. I'm with Graham on the other guys stupid comment. Some people should stick to video games, or get a clue as to wtf their talking about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HD1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem I run into...is I have a 3-9 FFP Super Sniper, and you can barely take advantage of the reticle unless its above 6X power. So there is a very small useable range of power.

this is what im concerned with. im looking at IOR's 2.5-10x42 ffp mil/mil for a .308 build. gun will be my go to hunting rig for whitetail, pigs, varmints etc. no 700 yd shots at elk across canyons. im just concerned that when im shooting at ranges that require milling and doping, the scope will be on 10x anyways. therefore, would i be better suited by saving my money and getting the same model in sfp?

im one of those ppl that like to save my money, do as much research as possible and get the best i can the first time around. just trying to figure out whats most practical in my application. im also looking at vortex's viper pst 4-16x50 ffp mil/mil. higher power for shooting at longer distances, but the glass isn't as good and it wont be out again for a couple months.

In a scope whose power max is 10, FFP vs SFP is pretty much moot.

I had a 3.5-10 FFP, and it stayed at 10 unless I was shooting at something really close where I needed a lower power for field of view - in which case I just held in reference to the target using the center crosshairs, and didn't need the graduations of the reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Baer45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, I personaly think the military made a huge mistake going to a front Focal plane reticle in the Schmidt and Bender that will just end up in our Snipers getting killed. The SFPR is so the Sniper can make one shot at long range and disappear. With newly trained snipers using fast shooting FirstFPR scopes expecting to fire multipe shots; they end up being used for fodder.Today's sniper does not have to mill distance, just hit the button for range (even better the button is pressed by his spotter) A sniper's job is not suppressed fire; one accurate shot and live to make another next week. If I am a Sniper I want a SecondFPR and if I am a shooter...either one. Just an old Corp opinion.. </div></div>

I don't understand this rationale. I'm a sniper and I strive for a first round hit every shot. It doesn't always happen. SFP or FFP.
I have seen many posts on here about how to make a SFP work, and we teach it here at school because they are still in the force. But I havn't seen one post that has given a single reason that SFP is superior than FFP. When dialing for clarity with NV you may be at 14 power or 12 or 8. The glass you are looking through and the light conditions will determine what power you are able to see best at.
FFP is worth it, in my opinion, hands down.

The sole objection I've ever heard to an FFP scope is from benchrest and square-range competitors, that at very high magnifications the main crosshair size can make it hard to select a precise aiming point on a small target.

That objection simply doesn't apply to snipers.

A FFP reticle makes it possible to use the reticle for holdovers, holdunders, wind holds, and moving target leads at whatever power is optimum for the conditions. I have yet to hear an objection which makes sense to an FFP reticle from anyone who shoots on two-way ranges.

Lindy,
You are correct in that statement. And because you showed me one reason that someone would prefer a SFP scope I revise my statement. Here it is.
When used on a sniping platform I havn't seen or been told of any reason a SFP scope would be superior to a FFP scope.

this is probably a very general question, but at what range do shooters usually start dialing dope? i guess my thinking is if said range is so far that my ffp scope would most likely be on 10x anyways, theres no reason to spend the extra money over a sfp

Generally, I only dial on extra mils when the range is greater than I can hold with what's in my scope. It varies depending on caliber, atmospherics, muzzle velocity and reticle type. I'm sure I forgot a few factors. You can also dial down in power to get more mils with certain reticles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAX100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't like a FFP scope because the reticle is real small on low power and real large on high power. For ranging a SFP scope can be used like a fixed power scope. They are usually setup on 10x or 12x power which is a good all around magnification. You can make more accurate hits with a SFP scope because of the reticle staying the same size.

GC

</div></div>

Not true, "most' SFP scopes set the power to valid at highest power, which is the dilemma for most, as the it's too much power, so they run into problems when you (they) turn it down.

And you can't be more accurate if the reticle is only accurate on one power... they are also more prone to shift issues.

Being valid on all powers, and in perfect relationship too the target is much better, no matter who you are, because you as an individual prefer a SFP doesn't make it better by any stretch of the imagination, especially for tactical applications, maybe with a target shooting you can get away with being set on a fixed power, but in any kind of dynamic situation, a FFP reigns supreme for the very fact its always right.

Holds, leads, etc, using the reticle will only work at one power and I have seen it where the magnification ring was not properly calibrated so it was actually never correct. With a SFP you are smart to map the reticle to test it, a FFP doesnt have this problem unless the manufacturer puts the wrong reticle in there. </div></div>

I know this is an older thread, but it contains good info that I have been thinking about.

What LL states above makes perfect sense regarding the distinct advantages of a FFP scope compared to a SFP scope in a <span style="font-weight: bold">dynamic situation.</span>

Hunting is a dynamic situation. Range estimation is more of a critical factor for our western hunters compared to our eastern and southeastern hunters. We do have some lengthy soybean and cotton fields down here, but that is the exception not the rule.

Matching turrets and recticles also make sense to the point of "DUH" anything else is retarded.

So, if this is the case why aren't manufacturers producing more of their entire scope line with FFP and matching recticles and turrets? Are the manufacturing costs that much more for these features?

You would think that all hunting scopes would come out FFP with matching recticle and turrets.

For me i see it at a ffp scooe takes the guess work out of the equation, seeing the exact number of mils a target is and where the shot ended up all without needing to refer to the mapping or zooming back out, its prefered by most but if you can master the sfp scope than its up to you mate

For me it's obvious why FFP is the way to go on variable power scopes with magnification above 10x or so.

Not that I have a lot of experience but my one pertinent experience reinforces the advantage of FFP, when conditions at the 300 yard range prevented me from running the reference magnification and I forgot to dial down to some even interval and do the math.

I have since upgraded my glass to mid-range (sub $1000) and my first try was a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24 mil-dot SFP. It cost me a few $$ to return it and get the FFP version with G2DMR reticle and mil turrets, and I am a believer now.

Of course a lot of good glass is not available in FFP, so when a good deal came along on an optic I was considering (Aimpoint TR23) I bought it anyway despite its SFP, mil-dot reticle and MOA turrets since it is not available the way I would prefer (FFP mil/mil). You have to see the glass in this thing to believe it at this price point.

The fact that with FFP I can dial quickly WHATEVER magnification yields the best field of view and take advantage of ranging and holdovers is huge. Not every situation will allow tipping the rifle or sticking my head up to read the mag value on an SFP scope, and FFP obviates that requirement. FFP is an option that is well worth the premium IME.

Joe

I'm not a sniper, and I don't know much about scopes. But I understand what one of the posters above meant by saying FFP's will get our snipers killed. And I really can't believe that all these "snipers" here could not disern what he was saying.

What he was saying is this. FFP is a tactical scope. Like most everyone here that has one has said "when ranging multiple targets at multiple distances FFps rule the roost". This is absolutly true. But shooting multiple targets at multiple distances sounds like a fire fight. Fire fights is the infantrys job.

I'm sure we have all seen the sniper school shows on the military channel where we watch our soldiers trying to make it through sniper school. I think the last exercise they go through is the stalk. Where they get as close to the cadre as possable take a shoot and still remain unseen or hidden.

Snipers have traditionally used SFP scopes because like one of the first guys said "you can make more precise shoots with a SFP scope". And after the shot hopefully they remain unseen.

If the USA starts giving our snipers FFPs and gettting them in fire fights then the snipers are no more than a 11B. Just part of a infantry fire team. I really think thats what the guy was trying to say.

I read "Marine Sniper". Carlos made his shots and moved on, unseen. Then I read "American Sniper" this guy was running with a marine unit kicking down doors.......pretty easy getting kills shooting across the room.

Anyway, all the guy was saying was if a sniper has to empty his magizine his chances of surviving are not
as good as the sniper that makes one shot.

Many people here have stated SFP scopes are used when accuracy counts, when you are cutting X's the line will be 99% SFP. In tactical matches when a hit is a hit, you're under stress and firing in a hurry 99% will be FFP. They both have there place. No one (at least me) argues that. But sniper scopes and tactical scopes are two different scopes.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say when Carlos (the last guy he killed in the book) crawled through the jungle and then through the field to shoot that guy that showed up at that house, he wasn't looking for a hit. He wasn't saying to himself "A hit is a hit, as long as I hit him somewhere I'm good". I think he was more than likely saying "I've got one shot to kill this bastard, if I miss, I'm a dead man".

Regaurdless if he could have or would have made the same shot with a FFP is not the point. The point is he had one shot. If theres multiple targets at multiple ranges then I think a fire team would be what is needed. Not a sniper with a FFP. I think this is what the guy was trying to say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: recondo84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not a sniper, and I don't know much about scopes. But I understand what one of the posters above meant by saying FFP's will get our snipers killed. And I really can't believe that all these "snipers" here could not disern what he was saying.

What he was saying is this. FFP is a tactical scope. Like most everyone here that has one has said "when ranging multiple targets at multiple distances FFps rule the roost". This is absolutly true. But shooting multiple targets at multiple distances sounds like a fire fight. Fire fights is the infantrys job.

I'm sure we have all seen the sniper school shows on the military channel where we watch our soldiers trying to make it through sniper school. I think the last exercise they go through is the stalk. Where they get as close to the cadre as possable take a shoot and still remain unseen or hidden.

Snipers have traditionally used SFP scopes because like one of the first guys said "you can make more precise shoots with a SFP scope". And after the shot hopefully they remain unseen.

If the USA starts giving our snipers FFPs and gettting them in fire fights then the snipers are no more than a 11B. Just part of a infantry fire team. I really think thats what the guy was trying to say.

I read "Marine Sniper". Carlos made his shots and moved on, unseen. Then I read "American Sniper" this guy was running with a marine unit kicking down doors.......pretty easy getting kills shooting across the room.

Anyway, all the guy was saying was if a sniper has to empty his magizine his chances of surviving are not
as good as the sniper that makes one shot.

Many people here have stated SFP scopes are used when accuracy counts, when you are cutting X's the line will be 99% SFP. In tactical matches when a hit is a hit, you're under stress and firing in a hurry 99% will be FFP. They both have there place. No one (at least me) argues that. But sniper scopes and tactical scopes are two different scopes.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say when Carlos (the last guy he killed in the book) crawled through the jungle and then through the field to shoot that guy that showed up at that house, he wasn't looking for a hit. He wasn't saying to himself "A hit is a hit, as long as I hit him somewhere I'm good". I think he was more than likely saying "I've got one shot to kill this bastard, if I miss, I'm a dead man".

Regaurdless if he could have or would have made the same shot with a FFP is not the point. The point is he had one shot. If theres multiple targets at multiple ranges then I think a fire team would be what is needed. Not a sniper with a FFP. I think this is what the guy was trying to say. </div></div>

This is ridiculously contrived. The FFP reticle isn't putting our snipers into these dangerous situations, the decision makers are. That's going to happen as needed, regardless of what kind of reticles are assigned to our men. If indeed that is the alleged reason why the poster thinks that FFP scopes will get our snipers killed, it's a poorly thought out conclusion and I call bullshit. Not having FFP will get them killed is more likely in these instances.

As to the idea that a SFP reticle will allow for a more precise point of aim, that's another silly assumption. Even a sniper looking to make a first round kill isn't aiming at a button on the targets shirt at 800 yards. He's going to center that shot on the target and still make the kill. A FFP equipped scope is more than adequate for the task at hand.

I still haven't heard a single valid explanation as to how the use of FFP reticles will get our snipers killed.