• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Food riots thread…and energy.

I sold my business in early January. I left one job for another recently and two reasons in particular helped me make my decision. The job, in management, I took was 1. just about a mile from my house. I can walk if necessary and fuel costs for driving are minimal. 2. They're a (major) retailer, my background, in both food and medicine.

Since I'm upper management, I have access to both.

I also suggest paying down/off your mortgage. Possibly pulling money from other investments/funds to secure your housing needs first. Don't need extra money in 10-20 years if there's nothing left in 10-20 years. Normally this would just be conspiracy/tinfoil hat fodder. I think the last two years proves this is not the case now.

Time for everyone, if you haven't already, to start a victory garden and start canning. I have plenty of beef as I raise cattle. Also, I have contacts for pork and chicken. I be able to barter for those with my beef. Right now the chicken I do have are laying two dozen eggs a day, so plenty of protein from that. Oh, I paid my mortgage off in 2020.

To quote a prophet (AJ): "By more ammo."

P.S.- I listen to said prophet years ago and I am good there too ;)

Last edited:
As an aside; If you have secure housing, you can always rent out a room or a basement or your garage for extra money/food/medicine in a dire situation.

Just finishing up planting ....a lot....a garden, about 1 full acre.
Should easily feed 20-30 people with all the veggies they could ever want.
Broke my damn PTO powered rototiller but it's a pretty easy fix, just a master link on the huge ass drive chain (it's a 80 or 90 if I remember right from last time).
Looking to pull at least 500 lbs potato, 1 ton tomato, maybe 300-400lbs corn, and lots of beans,peas, okra, lettuce, carrots, radishes...etc etc.

Obviously Jefe has never rented out a room or apt or house.
FunkDat.

I've also never lived through the Depression or a food crisis. It's not ideal but I prefer to keep my options open. And the alternative seems less desirable. Also, you get to decide who, and more importantly who not to, rent a room to if you own the house. But if you've got this handled, more power to ya.

I highly encourage everyone to get this book. It goes into extreme detail on how to be self-reliant with food and water etc.

The Self-Sufficient Backyard

I bought it for my folks on my mom's birthday to celebrate their new move in Indiana from CA. I have a PDF copy of it. So, If anyone would want an electronic version of it....PM me and perhaps Venmo me a few bucks and I'll email it to ya :) I like having a hard copy book to flip through over a screen. But, the information is beneficial either way. :)

Just finishing up planting ....a lot....a garden, about 1 full acre.
Should easily feed 20-30 people with all the veggies they could ever want.
Broke my damn PTO powered rototiller but it's a pretty easy fix, just a master link on the huge ass drive chain (it's a 80 or 90 if I remember right from last time).
Looking to pull at least 500 lbs potato, 1 ton tomato, maybe 300-400lbs corn, and lots of beans,peas, okra, lettuce, carrots, radishes...etc etc.

Obviously Jefe has never rented out a room or apt or house.
FunkDat.
You've planted tomatoes, beans and okra already in KS???

Funny how the tinfoil hat peeps have been screaming about this for years and dismissed as conspiracy theorists...

Now? Major "news" networks are starting to talk about it.

My wife says if I bring home ONE more bag of lentils, rice, flour or beans I'll have to reinforce the floors :ROFLMAO:

I should start an "Any Structural Engineers Out There" thread huh? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Everything is in except for potato's (tomorrow probably) and tomato's which will probably get planted in 2 weeks.
It was right at 80F yesterday, 70 something today, and I don't see a hard freeze happening.
If it does, I'll just reseed if required.
Nothing will sprout for another 2 weeks or so anyway....except onions, which were starts, but onions will grow during a freeze anyway.
I've learned to get it going early if I want big yields.....I certainly don't want small yields this year.

Everything is in except for potato's (tomorrow probably) and tomato's which will probably get planted in 2 weeks.
It was right at 80F yesterday, 70 something today, and I don't see a hard freeze happening.
Nothing will sprout for another 2 weeks or so anyway....except onions, which were starts, but onions will grow during a freeze anyway.
I've learned to get it going early if I want big yields.....I certainly don't want small yields this year.
Mmmm...potatoes. I'm in Bell Co. central TX and already have my raised beds planted with tomatoes, pole beans, peppers and snap peas.
I do have a large area that I have weed fabric and gravel down that I could plant some spuds in. Our soil is good old Texas gumbo (lots of clay) will spuds grow well here?

It's warmer there than here in ga. We had frosts this weekend.

Mmmm...potatoes. I'm in Bell Co. central TX and already have my raised beds planted with tomatoes, pole beans, peppers and snap peas.
I do have a large area that I have weed fabric and gravel down that I could plant some spuds in. Our soil is good old Texas gumbo (lots of clay) will spuds grow well here?
You have raised beds ?
Just mix a whole bunch of hay and straw in with the clay soil and add a bunch of mulch to it and if you can get some of that south Texas sandy soil...
Potato's like loose/soft soil because they displace lots of space to make spuds underground.
Ideally you should be able to straighten out your hand and push straight down into the soil up to about the wrist joint.
It's not mandatory, but will allow the spuds to grow larger with bigger harvests.

You have raised beds ?
Just mix a whole bunch of hay and straw in with the clay soil and add a bunch of mulch to it and if you can get some of that south Texas sandy soil...
Potato's like loose/soft soil because they displace lots of space to make spuds underground.
Ideally you should be able to straighten out your hand and push straight down into the soil up to about the wrist joint.
It's not mandatory, but will allow the spuds to grow larger with bigger harvests.
Thanks for the advice. My raised beds are full so I need to plant along our back fence line. I'll have to haul in some sandy loam or some such to loosen up the clay. As an alternative I have a boatload of 5 gallon buckets that I could plant in with some sandy loam. So maybe one or two seed spuds per bucket?

I'm in NC and we just started the greenhouse seeds 3 weeks ago. No way I could plant anything but potatoes or beans now. Some corn may do fine in cold soil but not sweet corn. Last thing I plant. Yesterday turkey hunting it was 35......it might be 80 tomorrow but we will absolutely get another frost before the first of May. I'm not playing the reseed/replant game, it's too time and labor intensive. Our growing season is so long there is no need to risk the waste. I never transplant from the greenhouse until I'm done chasing turkeys in April

Last edited:
Funny how the tinfoil hat peeps have been screaming about this for years and dismissed as conspiracy theorists...

Now? Major "news" networks are starting to talk about it.

My wife says if I bring home ONE more bag of lentils, rice, flour or beans I'll have to reinforce the floors :ROFLMAO:

I should start an "Any Structural Engineers Out There" thread huh? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I was just thinking, "Time to pick up another 50#s or rice and 100 of beans."

Reactions: HiDesertELR
Thanks for the advice. My raised beds are full so I need to plant along our back fence line. I'll have to haul in some sandy loam or some such to loosen up the clay. As an alternative I have a boatload of 5 gallon buckets that I could plant in with some sandy loam. So maybe one or two seed spuds per bucket?
No, 5 gallon buckets are way too small.
Maybe 30-50 gallon trash cans or something like that.
Potato plants get big (think 4-5 foot tall and easily as wide) and each plant is capable of 10-15 potato's that are large along with another 5-10 that are small. Some get bigger and yield more.
They need lots of space and very loose soil.
Strangely they don't seem to need much in the way of nutrients......I could be wrong here, but they always seem the last to need any fertilizer in my gardens.

The last week of may is the standard for us to plant in east TN. There's a few things that we do earlier like peas and onions but tomatoes, corn, beans and cucumber wait till the end of May. Had too many plants lost to a freeze. Our growing season is long enough to not be in a rush.

I started seeing some canning supplies start to hit the shelves and linger. Now they get snatched up quick again.

No, 5 gallon buckets are way too small.
Maybe 30-50 gallon trash cans or something like that.
Potato plants get big (think 4-5 foot tall and easily as wide) and each plant is capable of 10-15 potato's that are large along with another 5-10 that are small. Some get bigger and yield more.
They need lots of space and very loose soil.
Strangely they don't seem to need much in the way of nutrients......I could be wrong here, but they always seem the last to need any fertilizer in my gardens.
Wow, thanks for the insight.

This is a global crisis now and will only be fully realized after the fall harvest. Our regime has totally fucked up every aspect of our economy, the likes we are still yet to realize. The amount of fertilizer and grain that we import from Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, etc. is non existent with the battle on that front. The puppet in chief significantly impaired our energy sector, which also handicapped our fertilizer production. Two months ago the fertilizer costs here made corn a net loser for farmers. Now the potash shortage and costs have done he same for soy beans. on a global level there will be famine and starvation. Which tends to lead to destabilization and coups. Here we will have the highest prices for food ever recorded and localized outages. Coinciding with this is the next bird flu outbreak plaguing chicken farms in the central part of the country.

How will the little immature rioting morons feel when they can no longer get pIzza rolls in mom’s basement? How will the millions of illegals this regime has moved in feel when there is no more corn? The dependents remain quiet when they are fed. Like my livestock, they only bawl when hungry. We are about to see next level bawling. And next level rioting.

Dogwood winter and then blackberry winter. After that you are gtg.
I'm in NC and we just started the greenhouse seeds 3 weeks ago. No way I could plant anything but potatoes or beans now. Some corn may do fine in cold soil but not sweet corn. Last thing I plant. Yesterday turkey hunting it was 35......it might be 80 tomorrow but we will absolutely get another frost before the first of May. I'm not playing the reseed/replant game, it's too time and labor intensive. Our growing season is so long there is no need to risk the waste. I never transplant from the greenhouse until I'm done chasing turkeys in April

Different soil, different varieties, but beans will rot in the ground when sweetcorn does well for me.

I also suggest paying down/off your mortgage. Possibly pulling money from other investments/funds to secure your housing needs first. Don't need extra money in 10-20 years if there's nothing left in 10-20 years. Normally this would just be conspiracy/tinfoil hat fodder. I think the last two years proves this is not the case now.
Why would you pay off your mortgage? I can see paying off revolving credit debt if you have not already done so but my mortgage is fixed at 2.9% APR. I can earn a lot more than that so why burn capital on reducing debt that is cheap?

I highly encourage everyone to get this book. It goes into extreme detail on how to be self-reliant with food and water etc.

The Self-Sufficient Backyard

I bought it for my folks on my mom's birthday to celebrate their new move in Indiana from CA. I have a PDF copy of it. So, If anyone would want an electronic version of it....PM me and perhaps Venmo me a few bucks and I'll email it to ya :) I like having a hard copy book to flip through over a screen. But, the information is beneficial either way. :)
I agree. Water filters are a must but if you don't know how to collect water, you're fucked. Proper sanitation and hygiene is right behind water collection. A cut that is trivial today can kill you in a war situation where medical help don't exist. You better plan sanitation and know how to dig a latrine.

Can't imagine what it will be like in a city.

Last edited:
Whats wuth ya'll and the big gardens? didnt you listen to the video all the way through? We'll make food out of CO2..

Behold

I've seen enough of his posts to know he doesn't let them move in. If you have a haram of bitches on call, you might work a deal though.
They are a source of protein. A new twist on eating pussy.

Here's another vote for The Self-Sufficient Backyard...it is highly informative.

Reactions: ColinW
Well, there is this.
And if you can get a fancy letter head on your chit, there is this that will make drinking water from sea water....and most anything else.

ok,explain the coming "food shortage" to me. america has generated tons of excess foodstuffs annually for last 5 or 6 decades. to the point that millions are paid every year to farmers to not grow anything,the whole soil bank idea. it actually profits elite absentee owners and large corporations mostly. surplus has kept american food prices below world levels for a long time. not sure,but i think the % of income americans pay for food is about 60% of the rest of the world. the effect of welfare feedings and the death of cooking at home in many families has an affect that i don't know and i think hasn't been studied. we also never used food as a weapon in the oil war started by the rags in '72. why? i can see prices going up mostly due to biden's assault on fuel prices. the governments admitted 8% inflation is in my experience closer to 100% like gasoline. so,what gives in a setting of huge surpluses and apolcolypic famine talk.despite increased transport costs and obscure and bizarre agricultural policy?

I'd tend to be of the opposite opinion; if one expects the monetary system to fail, invest as many available assets as possible into insulating oneself from that failed system. To that end, I could see potentially leveraging other assets into getting into a better spot if housing is currently not optimal, but paying more money to stay in the same house just doesn't add up for me.

I'd be happy to hear arguments to the contrary, but I don't expect the banks to send foreclosure notices when you're bringing your wheelbarrow full of money to buy groceries.

Why would you pay off your mortgage? I can see paying off revolving credit debt if you have not already done so but my mortgage is fixed at 2.9% APR. I can earn a lot more than that so why burn capital on reducing debt that is cheap?
You didn't bother to finish the sentence. In a 'normal' world, you'd be 100% correct. You also forgot to put on your tinfoil when clicked on the "Food riots thread...". 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Nik H
ok,explain the coming "food shortage" to me. america has generated tons of excess foodstuffs annually for last 5 or 6 decades. to the point that millions are paid every year to farmers to not grow anything,the whole soil bank idea. it actually profits elite absentee owners and large corporations mostly. surplus has kept american food prices below world levels for a long time. not sure,but i think the % of income americans pay for food is about 60% of the rest of the world. the effect of welfare feedings and the death of cooking at home in many families has an affect that i don't know and i think hasn't been studied. we also never used food as a weapon in the oil war started by the rags in '72. why? i can see prices going up mostly due to biden's assault on fuel prices. the governments admitted 8% inflation is in my experience closer to 100% like gasoline. so,what gives in a setting of huge surpluses and apolcolypic famine talk.despite increased transport costs and obscure and bizarre agricultural policy?
We've had a food shortage since 2020, you just haven't seen much of it yet.

These are very good.
Well, there is this.
And if you can get a fancy letter head on your chit, there is this that will make drinking water from sea water....and most anything else.

I'd tend to be of the opposite opinion; if one expects the monetary system to fail, invest as many available assets as possible into insulating oneself from that failed system. To that end, I could see potentially leveraging other assets into getting into a better spot if housing is currently not optimal, but paying more money to stay in the same house just doesn't add up for me.

I'd be happy to hear arguments to the contrary, but I don't expect the banks to send foreclosure notices when you're bringing your wheelbarrow full of money to buy groceries.
Why would you need wheelbarrows full of money to buy groceries? In this thread, there are no groceries. Is hyper inflation happening in this food shortage as well?

One is assuming a sort of EOTWAWKI situation where people are killing each other for food. Are you going to work at the office in between killing/hunting/farming.

I'm surprised I'm getting such pushback for suggesting you actually own your house rather than use it for capital for investing. If you own the house you live in, wouldn't that open up cash flow for investing? Or another mortgage on another property that could earn you income and pay that mortgage? I didn't realize real estate was such a poor investment. Maybe let Blackrock in your secrets.