• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Food riots thread…and energy.

ok,explain the coming "food shortage" to me. america has generated tons of excess foodstuffs annually for last 5 or 6 decades. to the point that millions are paid every year to farmers to not grow anything,the whole soil bank idea. it actually profits elite absentee owners and large corporations mostly. surplus has kept american food prices below world levels for a long time. not sure,but i think the % of income americans pay for food is about 60% of the rest of the world. the effect of welfare feedings and the death of cooking at home in many families has an affect that i don't know and i think hasn't been studied. we also never used food as a weapon in the oil war started by the rags in '72. why? i can see prices going up mostly due to biden's assault on fuel prices. the governments admitted 8% inflation is in my experience closer to 100% like gasoline. so,what gives in a setting of huge surpluses and apolcolypic famine talk.despite increased transport costs and obscure and bizarre agricultural policy?
The conditions of the past are in the past... The conditions of the future are unknown. Plan for the unknown.

I'd tend to be of the opposite opinion; if one expects the monetary system to fail, invest as many available assets as possible into insulating oneself from that failed system. To that end, I could see potentially leveraging other assets into getting into a better spot if housing is currently not optimal, but paying more money to stay in the same house just doesn't add up for me.

I'd be happy to hear arguments to the contrary, but I don't expect the banks to send foreclosure notices when you're bringing your wheelbarrow full of money to buy groceries.
We are all paying more money to stay in the same house. Increases of home owner's insurance premiums and increasing property taxes are two obvious expenses that are on the rise.

I only see riots happening when value menu items at the local drive-thru reach $20 for a happy meal.
I see people at the local supermarkets where I live just fill the basket and walk out the door. So riots are not going to happen until they can not steal it or buy it.
Riots will be regional or in the Mega Cities. No different than the supply chain when ammo got scarce. Suppliers "sprinkled" ammo at different locations. There was always some guy saying "My LGS has full shelves of ammo"..... Food will be no different. Events of the past are no help in planning the future. The slate has been wiped clean. Start over.

I see people at the local supermarkets where I live just fill the basket and walk out the door.
This is a whole other thread. I see this ending badly. And retailers doing an about-face on current shoplifting policies in regards to intervention by employees or just hiring armed security posted at the entrances/exits. Which we'll pay for through increased costs. We're likely getting to the break even on shoplifting vs. armed security payroll.

Why would you need wheelbarrows full of money to buy groceries? In this thread, there are no groceries. Is hyper inflation happening in this food shortage as well?

One is assuming a sort of EOTWAWKI situation where people are killing each other for food. Are you going to work at the office in between killing/hunting/farming.

I'm surprised I'm getting such pushback for suggesting you actually own your house rather than use it for capital for investing. If you own the house you live in, wouldn't that open up cash flow for investing? Or another mortgage on another property that could earn you income and pay that mortgage? I didn't realize real estate was such a poor investment. Maybe let Blackrock in your secrets.

As I read through that article, Amongst the founders and owners of Blackrock/Blackstone, I noticed a common factor. Then they mentioned families that have been in power since before the industrial revolution?

What am I missing? Is there something we should be more aware of? Some one tell me. Please.

Who are these 1% wo own more than the rest of the 99%?

Inquiring minds with tinfoil hats want to know.

ok,explain the coming "food shortage" to me. america has generated tons of excess foodstuffs annually for last 5 or 6 decades. to the point that millions are paid every year to farmers to not grow anything,the whole soil bank idea. it actually profits elite absentee owners and large corporations mostly. surplus has kept american food prices below world levels for a long time. not sure,but i think the % of income americans pay for food is about 60% of the rest of the world. the effect of welfare feedings and the death of cooking at home in many families has an affect that i don't know and i think hasn't been studied. we also never used food as a weapon in the oil war started by the rags in '72. why? i can see prices going up mostly due to biden's assault on fuel prices. the governments admitted 8% inflation is in my experience closer to 100% like gasoline. so,what gives in a setting of huge surpluses and apolcolypic famine talk.despite increased transport costs and obscure and bizarre agricultural policy?
Because there are a lot of lunatics here.

As I read through that article, Amongst the founders and owners of Blackrock/Blackstone, I noticed a common factor. Then they mentioned families that have been in power since before the industrial revolution?

What am I missing? Is there something we should be more aware of? Some one tell me. Please.

Who are these 1% wo own more than the rest of the 99%?

Inquiring minds with tinfoil hats want to know.
FWIW, these articles are written for people who don't know anything about finance, and don't understand ownership structures, in order to make them believe things that are basically insane. But tinfoil on, it's exactly why they write them.

Seems half have an idea of what’s happening. The other half is looking in the mirror and saying “ Everything will be ok. This is normal. There is no reason to be concerned”. .

Seems half have an idea of what’s happening. The other half is looking in the mirror and saying “ Everything will be ok. This is normal. There is no reason to be concerned”. .
OK, please explain to me how mutual funds come to "control the media, pharmaceuticals and houses" whether they file 13D or 13G on them, what the difference is, how they vote and how they are required to hold or sell those assets. Also, tell me what percentage of the US residential real estate market Blackrock owns. I'm interested, and will await a cogent response.

If you don't own your house, you're gonna pay through the nose for rent 'cause they'll own a monopoly on the housing market. You can already see it happening and there's no tinfoil here. This is real.
Here in Socal a 2 bedroom shithole in a not so good area is 2000.00 or more a month.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
OK, please explain to me how mutual funds come to "control the media, pharmaceuticals and houses" whether they file 13D or 13G on them, what the difference is, how they vote and how they are required to hold or sell those assets. Also, tell me what percentage of the US residential real estate market Blackrock owns. I'm interested, and will await a cogent response.
Wtf does that have to do with the thread topic?

Was that just a string of random thoughts you threw together there.

If you really want all that linked together I’m gonna have to hit up the local dealer for some top shelf shit. But I doubt anyone will be able to follow and understand what I post afterwards.

😂

You have raised beds ?
Just mix a whole bunch of hay and straw in with the clay soil and add a bunch of mulch to it and if you can get some of that south Texas sandy soil...
Potato's like loose/soft soil because they displace lots of space to make spuds underground.
Ideally you should be able to straighten out your hand and push straight down into the soil up to about the wrist joint.
It's not mandatory, but will allow the spuds to grow larger with bigger harvests.
B041DFAB-6178-4681-A92A-9B574E02B5B8.png

Potatoes prefer virgin soil!

You are witnessing one of the "Law's of Nature"... "Survival of the Fittest"..... Fitness comes in an infinite number of attributes.

Wtf does that have to do with the thread topic?

Was that just a string of random thoughts you threw together there.

If you really want all that linked together I’m gonna have to hit up the local deal for some top shelf shit. But I doubt anyone will be able to follow and understand what I post afterwards.

😂
It has to do with that insane article above. The answers are that pharma and media are "owned" by investment funds mainly through indexes. People want to buy the S&P or whatever, and they buy fractional shares through Blackrock or Vanguard. These are bought "in the normal course of business" and not for control purposes, which is why they file 13G on them, unlike, say, Elon Musk who had to file 13D because he wants to be able to influence the company. Blackrock's total real estate holdings are 36 Billion dollars, a mix of assets and fund holdings. The US real estate market is 60 trillion dollars, making Blackrock, who may be the biggest single player, in control of approximately .06% of real estate holdings, at the very most. Hardly the monopoly people worry about. Think about it. If a 200 lb man lost .06% of his weight, he wouldn't even lose a quarter pound.

• Love
Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
I'm surprised I'm getting such pushback for suggesting you actually own your house rather than use it for capital for investing. If you own the house you live in, wouldn't that open up cash flow for investing? Or another mortgage on another property that could earn you income and pay that mortgage? I didn't realize real estate was such a poor investment. Maybe let Blackrock in your secrets.
LOL

If you're buying new property to invest in real estate as Blackrock is, then you are an investor with a definite plan to make money based on the continued growth of the real estate sector. They're not paying cash. They are financing every purchase. No hurry to pay ahead either.

I doubt Blackrock "owns" the corporate offices where they conduct business either. I bet those are pretty leveraged...why? Because they are nothing more than a fixed asset/liability. So is your house. You pay it off, your monthly nut drops. No magic there. True, you can invest the money you save. However, you would actually invest more per month using the very capital that you would have used to pay off the house.

I think most people like the "idea" of paying off their house. Owning my own house means little to me....if it is your largest asset, maybe it provides one with a sense of comfort to own it outright.

My opinion is that it's more important to have the resources to pay it off whenever you desire than to actually do so.

Last edited:
classic diff of opinion. financial advisers say: have a big mortgage write interest/taxes off,invest in the market. accountants usually say: pay it off and be more secure in your situation. at least that;s the take of mine.

Have you seriously had your eyes closed for the last 3-4 years ?????

Gas up 100% means those semi trucks shipping food to your grocery store....well they ain't gonna be doing that.
Farmers use fuel, you know, in tractors, irrigation pumps, and so on and so on.

Fertilizer up at least 100% and more like 130-140%
Crops need fertilizer yaknow.
Now that there are only a few seed companies that dominate the large farm market (dow, monsanto, dekalb, etc) they have unique growing regimens.
You spray a product on the field to prep it, you spray another product on when seeding, you spray another on when growing, and when harvest is done you spray yet another product on to *winter* the field. Lather/rinse/repeat.
Farmers don't want to grow a seed that doesn't produce at least X amount per acre, they only have so many acres and want to get the most 'bang for the buck' so they only go with a known strain that is proven to produce X amount per acre.
It's not as cut and dry as a city person thinks.
It can easily run 10-20k$ per field spray, and when you do it 4-5 times a year....shit gets real.

Ya dig ?

The food shortage isn't coming....it's already here.
Open those shut eyes and look around.

classic diff of opinion. financial advisers say: have a big mortgage write interest/taxes off,invest in the market. accountants usually say: pay it off and be more secure in your situation. at least that;s the take of mine.
Keep in mind, both accountant's and financial advisors make their money off of your money. I stopped, long ago asking for any opinions from those two. Look around your area and ask that 50 year old guy out playing golf at 10am on a Wednesday for his advice.

Why would you pay off your mortgage? I can see paying off revolving credit debt if you have not already done so but my mortgage is fixed at 2.9% APR. I can earn a lot more than that so why burn capital on reducing debt that is cheap?
If hyper inflation is it's way you may as well get in as much debt as possible, as in no time at all that debt will vanish away.

People should be looking to put any spare cash into as many appreciating assets as possible, as money in the bank will get worth less every day.

Just seems to me that there's one market that never goes away. Up and down, yes. Usually up. But has and will likely always cost more in the future. And they stopped manufacturing a long time ago.

I believe that is one very common fact. Personally, I would fire that accountant for certain.

Your accountant has one job....to minimize your tax liability.

WTF does "secure" mean in that context anyways? If I can pay off my house if I need to, what is the difference?

Craziness

Keep in mind, both accountant's and financial advisors make their money off of your money. I stopped, long ago asking for any opinions from those two. Look around your area and ask that 50 year old guy out playing golf at 10am on a Wednesday for his advice.
And yet, you don't listen to a word I say.

I believe that is one very common fact. Personally, I would fire that accountant for certain.

WTF does "secure" mean in that context anyways? If I can pay off my house if I need to, what is the difference?

Craziness
If you own your house and the market crashes, you still have somewhere to live. If the 'market' crashes and you're all in, then what? Clearly you have a talent. Most don't. Most only see an accountant, usually in a strip mall, once a year. You're projecting your situation onto other's who don't share your knowledge. Or risk adverseness.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA

Craziness
There is zero economic argument for not borrowing money if you can produce returns greater than your cost of borrowing. The only questions are whether you can consistently do it, and whether it causes you undue stress. But if you can consistently beat your cost of debt, then it is a no brainer.

Reactions: beetroot and Nik H
Blackrock buying up residential real estate to me looks more like they are planning for a major market downturn in the near future (5 to 10 years perhaps?). Real estate is a place that a firm like blackrock can put billions of dollars into that buys a tangible good that exists in real life. Stocks, bonds, ect, sure, they exist in some digital form(but do they?), but they can also just disappear when things go south. Sure, the value of real estate can tank too, but there is only so much land on this planet, and that piece of land doesn't up and walk away. Look at all these crazy rich folks buying land and real estate like crazy. How much farm land does bill gates own now? That land always has value, and it can generate income year after year. If you had a pile of money in either the stock market, or in savings, and you're thinking "this shit has a very real potential to quite suddenly be worthless", what can you do with it to have it in a form that won't be worthless. Buy something with that money, that you don't have to worry about it being taken away. Buy a bunch of real estate, buy residential properties and then you contract a management agency to rent and maintain them, you don't buy commercial property when you think a massive recession is coming. You're long term gains on the properties aren't super high, but you're a super high net worth individual anyway, you're diversifying your portfolio to spread risk around. Insurance premiums are cheap, and they further reduce risk to financial losses through fires, storms, all the usual shit that us poors have to deal with. Those properties are yours, period. You are free to put them up for sale and liquidate them anytime you want. How often have we seen stocks that tank in a day or two? Millions, or billions of dollars in investments disappear like a fart in the wind. If I had fuck you money, and thought this stock market was in an extreme bubble scenario, or a massive recession was coming, which I think it is anyway, I would be wanting to put a large percentage of my holdings in something physical, that I can visit, occupy, or improve on. Sure you could put it on physical precious metals for example, but where are you going to keep it? The bank? A private vault? You can't insure that type of asset from theft.

I know that was long winded, and it's just my theory, if i'm wrong on something, please correct me.

I don't see food shortages happening here, not within the next year. We grow too much of it here, and like others said, there are millions of acres of CRP land, farmers paid to not grow. The .gov will cut exports before they allow it citizens to go hungry. They need us fed and happy'ish, to be able to exercise power against us. Dead people don't pay taxes, and neither do sick people.

Wouldn't be surprised if the ball is already rolling for some really, really tough times, and the dems, knowing a bad mid-term results are coming, are merely trying to delay the inevitable so they can blame it on the republicans who are quite possibly going to retake the senate, or the house, or perhaps both.

I don't have a crystal ball, and I sure didn't stay at a holiday inn express, but it never hurt anyone to prepare for tough times, whether those tough times come or not.

I need to get my pool fixed so I can brag about my 20,000 gallons of water ready for the apocalypse.

Branden

Just finishing up planting ....a lot....a garden, about 1 full acre.
Should easily feed 20-30 people with all the veggies they could ever want.
Broke my damn PTO powered rototiller but it's a pretty easy fix, just a master link on the huge ass drive chain (it's a 80 or 90 if I remember right from last time).
Looking to pull at least 500 lbs potato, 1 ton tomato, maybe 300-400lbs corn, and lots of beans,peas, okra, lettuce, carrots, radishes...etc etc.

Obviously Jefe has never rented out a room or apt or house.
FunkDat.
You aren't going to feed 20-30 people with your 1 acre garden, the calories aren't there.
Also do you have a means of watering your garden when the grid goes down?
I'm an avid gardener but I'd advise you to put food and supplies away and not rely on false security.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Just finishing up planting ....a lot....a garden, about 1 full acre.
Should easily feed 20-30 people with all the veggies they could ever want.
Broke my damn PTO powered rototiller but it's a pretty easy fix, just a master link on the huge ass drive chain (it's a 80 or 90 if I remember right from last time).
Looking to pull at least 500 lbs potato, 1 ton tomato, maybe 300-400lbs corn, and lots of beans,peas, okra, lettuce, carrots, radishes...etc etc.

Obviously Jefe has never rented out a room or apt or house.
FunkDat.
All the preps don't matter if you can't defend it.

Do you own any firearms? 😂

You aren't going to feed 20-30 people with your 1 acre garden, the calories aren't there.
Also do you have a means of watering your garden when the grid goes down?
I'm an avid gardener but I'd advise you to put food and supplies away and not rely on false security.
I use well water, if the grid goes down I have generators, if gas becomes unavailable I have hand powered pumps.
Have you ever had a 1 acre garden ? I'm guessing no because you certainly don't know how much food you can grow on that amount of area.
I would be willing to wager you're spewing shit you read somewhere....written by someone you don't know.
All the preps don't matter if you can't defend it.

Do you own any firearms? 😂
I'm on this forum aren't I ?
I can see free and clear 360* around my garden for at least 1/2 mile and yea, I can shoot that far, have the guns and ammo to do so, and the attitude that should be mandatory when saying something like that.

I'm on this forum aren't I ?
I can see free and clear 360* around my garden for at least 1/2 mile and yea, I can shoot that far, have the guns and ammo to do so, and the attitude that should be mandatory when saying something like that.
You have the right mindset. I like you.

LOL

If you're buying new property to invest in real estate as Blackrock is, then you are an investor with a definite plan to make money based on the continued growth of the real estate sector. They're not paying cash. They are financing every purchase. No hurry to pay ahead either.

I doubt Blackrock "owns" the corporate offices where they conduct business either. I bet those are pretty leveraged...why? Because they are nothing more than a fixed asset/liability. So is your house. You pay it off, your monthly nut drops. No magic there. True, you can invest the money you save. However, you would actually invest more per month using the very capital that you would have used to pay off the house.

I think most people like the "idea" of paying off their house. Owning my own house means little to me....if it is your largest asset, maybe it provides one with a sense of comfort to own it outright.

My opinion is that it's more important to have the resources to pay it off whenever you desire than to actually do so.
what you fail to realize with the notion of having the resources to pay it off is that if the economy tanks your "on paper" resources will tank as well, you will have neither your "resources" or ownership of your property... stocks, bonds, promissory notes, etc. won't be worth the paper printed on... there will be only "precious metals" in your hand (not paper securities telling you own them but under someone else's physical control), or land... those are the only secure ways of surviving such catastrophes... land to grow, harvest firewood, hunt protein, and water to pump, or gather from and purify are survivor essentials... and you are kidding yourself if you think evictions can't happen... we all here are thinking the same things about self defense, to have the need to defend requires someone being on the offensive and that includes confiscation... and confiscation means more than firearms and ammunition... there will be no interest paid, there will be no capital appreciation value in stock, there will be no investment growth, just you and the elements around you... just people that want what you have, and not owning your property is a leverage point for others who want ...

That would solve our problems if people start eating bullets.......

And still not a single reference….

Rural America can produce enough to feed itself 1000 times over.

As for the rest of the world? Migration stops when infrastructure does. Cities have 30 days… 9 meals… 27 days of good luck.

What are folks going to do, walk from Greenwich village to agricultural upstate with zero food, zero arms? Zero survival skills and through the gauntlets of other “hungry?” Drive their Tahoes one tank of gas to… wherever everyone else runs out of gas or has their shit taken in a roadblock?

Anyone thing for a second that Rural communities jus sit back and go “sure, let in bands of refugees.” Not a chance. The Interstate exits get blocked in days. Roadblocks form and it’s ‘move along or turn back’. Enforced by ammo. Just ask the Okies who went to California in the mid-30s how welcoming the rural folks were.

Someone here said it well… “the carnage will be in the suburbs.” After that, well, what’s left to reset anyway?

And has anyone ever looked at the calories that can grow on an acre? Good lord, it is unfathomable. That is if you have the seeds. The garden tools. Are in the right climate.

Nightmare scenario is that the “food shortage” starts in Fall. And in much of the country a long dark hungry winter is followed by a spring where no one has any seeds to plant.

Yet few mentions of folks putting aside seeds along with food.

And more ammo IS a good strategy. In a real doomsday scenario whether caused by geopolitics or other natural disaster, it will be worth more than gold. Can’t eat ammo. But it will buy you anything you want whether by barter or force.

“Dear rich NYC prepper who thinks your bolt hole cabin in the mountains is going to save you . Thank you for gathering supplies for us locals. Now walk home.” That will be enforced with ammo.

Just look at Yugoslavia in the 90s. Now turn that up to 11. Yugoslavians who were the first to empty the arsenals were the ones who thrived. Until America “rescued”’them. No Yugoslav folks are coming to rescue USA.

Oh and keep copies of the Declaration of Independence, Common Sense, The Crisis, The Constitution, the Bill of Rights and the Federalist papers around. They will make an excellent roadmap for rebuilding and are beacons to guide you.

Keep a few copies of Das Kapital around, too. For toilet paper. And to remind yourself that there are things worse than death.

Meh, it’s all academic. We’ll get through this. The 70’s were worse. Bigger inflation. Tougher enemies. Bad leadership. Chevy Chevettes. Disco. Post ‘64 Winchesters. We are living in a paradise right now.

Sirhr

PS… want to hoarde something. Try spices. They preserve. They have amazing nutritional properties. And they make nasty stringy vegans taste better. Why do you think global trade started in the first place? Spices were at the root. So that folks could make their food palatable, safe and nutritious. And they keep forever. Just ‘sayin.

Last edited:
“Dear rich NYC prepper who thinks your bolt hole cabin in the mountains is going to save you . Thank you for gathering supplies for us locals. Now walk home.” That will be enforced with ammo.
I'm not a "prepper" but I'm vigilant. Even with my lower level of preparedness, it is plain to see that if one lives in the city, the chance of survival is greatly reduced. The best preparation is simply living in very low density areas.

The second best preparation is as you say... lots and lots of ammo.

If you own your house and the market crashes, you still have somewhere to live. If the 'market' crashes and you're all in, then what? Clearly you have a talent. Most don't. Most only see an accountant, usually in a strip mall, once a year. You're projecting your situation onto other's who don't share your knowledge. Or risk adverseness.
I don't project my situation on anyone. Paying off your house makes no sense to me. It is my opinion based on my facts. It costs me more money than my alternatives.

The market crashing has nothing to do with this discussion. Unless you are retired and have no income, your investments should have no bearing on the issue. You live on your earned income not investment returns. If the economy tanks and you lose your job and your investments go to zero, then whether you own your house or not is meaningless. Are the banks going to send LEO to dispossess you in the midst of an economic catastrophe?? I think they will have more important things to do. I invest to prepare for my family's future not my own. I don't think like a risk averse accountant. As I said, his job is to minimize my tax liability. Other than that, he has no say on how I invest my money. Operative word being "I".

I wish you luck with your strategy.

I'm not a "prepper" but I'm vigilant. Even with my lower level of preparedness, it is plain to see that if one lives in the city, the chance of survival is greatly reduced. The best preparation is simply living in very low density areas.

The second best preparation is as you say... lots and lots of ammo.
This would be a timely read:

Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse​