• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For the Love of God, GI Joe and John Wayne.... cleaning and abrasive cleaners

So put your used ear plugs in your barrels bore and soak over night...with whatever you find around the house and /or garage marked as a solvent cleaner, or acid...maybe a mix of all that stuff...plug the bore with used ear plug and pour in your favorite chemicals...I heard, heavy concentrated acids may take a little less time...but that could just be a rumor.
In the old days, it was felt that the best way to clean out the built up carbon in a vehicles engine’s cylinders was to take it from to 90 as fast as it would go.

I suppose the best way to clean carbon out of a barrel…….(I will not put the recipe because at least one idiot will read it, use and and get himself hurt, so the rest of us will just have to read between the lines)

Oh, the last time my father tried blowing out the carbon, was with our 1958 Ford, blew out both mufflers.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, and maybe it doesn't really matter, but isopropyl alcohol isn't going to neutralize CLR. The main active ingredient in CLR is Lactic Acid. You'd need a base to "neutralize" it. IPA is acting more of a flush, but it's not deactivating the CLR.

I also wouldn't go trying to use something basic to try and truly neutralize CLR. Depending on the strength of the base it could be a little exothermic, and then you're left with some type of salt in the barrel that need to be removed.

So put your used ear plugs in your barrels bore and soak over night...with whatever you find around the house and /or garage marked as a solvent cleaner, or acid...maybe a mix of all that stuff...plug the bore with used ear plug and pour in your favorite chemicals...I heard, heavy concentrated acids may take a little less time...but that could just be a rumor.

Solvents within oil based solution ,allows cleaning action to cling to the bore surface and filling isn't necessary . You most certainly can fill it ,drain used solution place in a metal container and reuse it at a later date . Parts and Brake cleaners are also effective solvents ,if one is opposed to using water based products . Duration varies but generally 20-120 minutes is more than adequate . As for acids ,what do they do too metals , ETCH which negates smoothing bores so pretty counter productive ,Eh .