• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft For those afraid to paint their weapons.......

Re: For those afraid to paint their weapons.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tag - unreal how well that cleaned up. </div></div>

+1000

I've painted, stripped and repainted my carbine time and time again. I always ended up using the crappy method of paper towels and paintbrushes to get the stripper and paint off. It always turned out awful and looked like my rifle had been to war. The idea of using a garden hose is brilliant.

In a nutshell, I'd been so underimpressed by my previous stripping attempts that I had no plans on painting my presision rifle but thanks to this thread I think I'm going to go ahead and do it.
smile.gif

Here's my first attempt at painting, used an old pellet rifle/Tasco 4x. Didn't turn out too bad, and now I ain't skeered to try it on a huntin rifle.

Krylon base coat:
RiflePaint1.jpg

Scope/rings:
RiflePaint2.jpg

Grass/leaves from front yard:
RiflePaint3.jpg

Finished product:
RiflePaint4.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pictures, all I have right now is my cell phone.

Tag ...for the info

becuse of this thread i went and painted my savage 10 pc and ss10x scope.it easy to remove after it gets all chipped up.oh and it was way morer acurate after paintin.lol

Good to know ... Tag

Nice post, guess ill have to take the plunge and paint my 700 and 110fp. I wonder if the stripper works on acrylic craft paint? purchased my savage painted with craft paint, i can scratch it off but it will take forever...

im using a combo of the kleen strip and some citistrip right now on my savage.it working great.soon as i get her all cleaned up ill blast her with another coat of krylon.this is cool.thanks for the tip.oh yea my savage has the army digital stock and so far the citristrip hasnt touched the painted over digital print.

ok quick update my stock is no longer the digital camo it came as.it will now have to repainted oh well rest of the gun looks just fine.

Tag for me! My first experiment was with my 5yo's little 22. I REALLY need to strip it and start over!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BiggerStick47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
NOTE: Make sure you use a good pair of chemical resistant gloves as this stripper burns like hell if it gets on your skin...... damn, that sounds funny.

</div></div>
Lord knows I've been there before!

I think I'm going to start with my 22lr. before I do my AR but thanks for all the info.

Great post! I am going to pick up a can of the Kleen Strip Premium Paint Stripper.

Your sponge job was pretty good. I keep painting objects including paper. So far my attempts look like crap. I am glad I did not do any guns. But I am still practicing. I can paint cars OK though.

Thanks for info and tagged just in case I need it down the road
wink.gif

Thanks for the info I was actually very nervous about painting some of my rifles but I am inspired.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BiggerStick47</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why did you start with the Alumahyde? I did not think of using it on non-metallic parts. Just wondering.

david </div></div>

I originally was going to do the whole thing in FDE. But the Alumahyde turned out to be too shiny for my taste so I decided to just cover it with krylon.

And I didn't use it on any of the non-metal parts, although I think it would be ok. </div></div>

Having read through some of the threads over on M4 the consensus was the Alumahyde Earth brown was closer to the FDE than the Coyote color

Good knowledge- I'd still take the extra time to paint something else IOT hone the skills and adjust the overall color/pattern.

Took me 2 of my little brother's old air rifles and an original super soaker before I had the stones to step up to the plate.

By the way, that's now one badass water blaster.

B.W.

I was bored and wanted to try some of the tips I've seen on here. So I painted my knee pads!

Before:
mcknees.jpg

After:
IMAG0077.jpg

thanks for the advice.

can fix poor paint.

try the broom stick and 2x6

both great ideas

Pucker factor with that equipment! How do you keep the stripper off the lens?

Biggerstick what NF scope is that u have on your rifle??

Word of Caution: Kleen Strip Rocks BUT will take the plastic coating off the floorplate of a SPS and the paint off of the bottom metal.
On the up side it does not hurt the otherwise crappy matte finish on the bbl/action
And does not hurt the Hogue stock as far as I can tell.

Why wear camo or a g suit in the field when the rifle is unpainted and sticks out like a sore thumb?
I don't care how pretty she looks, how's she shoot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sumpter Steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">She cleaned up nicely. </div></div>

I love strippers!</div></div> Me too!!!

But i never knew it was that easy to remove paint.

+1 for the Kleen strip that stuff works awesome!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reclaimer1986</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was bored and wanted to try some of the tips I've seen on here. So I painted my knee pads!

Before:
mcknees.jpg

After:
IMAG0077.jpg
</div></div>

nice job
did you put the mesh on after the base coat?

Very informative! Thank you.

It sounds like the Alumahyde came off really easy. I thought it was chemical resistant.

I may be using your advice on a rifle in the near future. I have a stock with paint that's starting to rub off and chip. Not sure what kind of paint was used but this way seems the simplest to remove the paint. Will post before and result pics when I get to it.

damn, brother, you sure you haven't painted a rifle before??? That looked damn good! I am not big into painting my rifles, but the paint job on the scope looked outstanding!

I thought it looked good, but I bet it was pretty thick. Before you mentioned why you did the second set of solid coats I was wondering why you put solid coats on top of solid coats.

I'm gonna try this on my xlr evolution when it arrives. Still a few weeks to go.

I paint all my firearms. What are people mainly afraid of? Guns should not be shiny!

I did my LMT in a couple colors of Krylon.

I was going for crappy and nasty looking. I think I achieved it admirably
grin.gif

9B36A3BF-BF24-4587-92DC-6D8B1CC04C37-20851-00000EDB70099633.jpg

C66C1C06-4167-475D-BE04-A6AB6FF755AC-1845-0000012A3AF4B08F.jpg

So, how do you manage to not damage the original finish on the rifles/scopes when using that chemical stripper? I wouldn't mind trying some paint jobs for my guns, but I sure don't want to damage a $4k rifle while removing $3 worth of Krylon from them!

Maybe the factory coatings/finishes are a bit different from the user-applied paint, but having used that chemical stripper on house painting in the past, it really is some NASTY stuff.

I just did this on an AR I sold. Here are before and after pics. It works great and is very easy to do.
B3322E74-7B25-4A5F-9540-1D605A394505-284-000000B9EAB5A8A5.jpg

8925F56A-B053-4914-AA1F-6957C1421333-116-00000001C03F0B9C.jpg