• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For you guys with a Tavor - how do you like them?

DTA hasn't released shit yet. They are vaporware and no one knows if they will even bring it to market. Shot Show is littered every year with new products and promised that never come to fruition.

Furthermore, the TAVOR has over 10 years of very successful military service behind it and quite a big following here in the US.

I would hold your rolls before calling something a tavor killer, when it doesn't even exist yet. Ever heard of the Masada? DTA has zero experience making semi auto guns much less a ruggedized military carbine. You cant get a hat from DTA for under $3k.... wonder how much this carbine will cost. Anywhere close to a $1700 Tavor?
You are right. I had not paid any attention to the DT MDR since their announcement at Shot this year. Nick has said they should be released the summer of 2015. I have 2 DTAs, which are bullet proof. I think Nick learned from his SRS A1 release that you need to be ready to fill plenty of orders initially and will be ready! Price should be competitive with the Tavor and what do you think of the switch caliber capability, while still maintaining your zero with each barrel?

Why since the Tavor is battle proven for 10 years does it still have such a crappy trigger???

You are right. I had not paid any attention to the DT MDR since their announcement at Shot this year. Nick has said they should be released the summer of 2015. I have 2 DTAs, which are bullet proof. I think Nick learned from his SRS A1 release that you need to be ready to fill plenty of orders initially and will be ready! Price should be competitive with the Tavor and what do you think of the switch caliber capability, while still maintaining your zero with each barrel?

Why since the Tavor is battle proven for 10 years does it still have such a crappy trigger???

I find the caliber conversion systems to be a waste. I could have two rifles set up for the price of a DTA with conversion. You still have to rezero your optic or trust your adustments are still good. Anything mechanical can fail and I just don't trust it. This is for a bolt gun.

In a semi/combat style carbine or bullpup, it is even more useless. If I want a 6.5/6.8/or 300 Whisper than I would build up a dedicated gun with optics, setup for that round. All of those rounds are hunting rounds. Bear with me here.

Considering no militaries are anywhere near close to adopting any of those rounds for widespread use, the cheapest you are going to find plinking ammo is $.75-$1.25 /rd. At those prices, unless your last name is Remington or hornady, very few people could afford to train with them. Since they can't afford to train with them, they probably shouldn't be employing them for serious work. So they are glorified hunting rounds at this point.

Building a semi is not like building a bolt gun. There is much more to reliable function such as gas port/piston setup , dwell times, spring power levels, bullet shoulder angles , magazines, ect. There is a reason very few guns other than AR's are able to run a variety of rounds, and that is the real testament to the AR's design.

If I am taking a training class, I will use 5.56. Everything is built around that round. If I was taking a typical training class that shoots 1000-1200 rnds over 2 days, On top of my travel, class fee (~$525 for 2 days) and incidentals, my ammo cost would jump by $400-700 if I was to shoot one of the intermediate rounds. It is so cost prohibitive, with little benefit at typical engagement range, that no one uses them. If we get a major military or two to adopt it, then we might see more reasonable priced ammo and it would be a consideration.

With that being said, I dont' need nor want a conversion. That would fuck up my zero's and introduce a margin of error with the conversion. It would without a doubt not be as reliable (as the round it was designed for) and that is saying alot. It is much better to have a separate dedicated system then trying to switch parts around. Especially when the costs are the same, its a no brainer.

ALL bullpups have a shitty trigger. Its a function of the design. It requires a linkage and more mechanics introduced, that have to fit the weapons physical profile while still being reliable in a combat weapon. If your worried about the trigger on your bullpup, then you have no business buying one , because your buying one for the wrong reasons. The trigger is heavy, but it works. Its a combat trigger, not a match trigger. If you need a better one, then feel free to drop some money on a Gisselle.

You have to understand, some of us have been in this game for a long time. We have seen products come and go, we have seen shit hyped, to never come to market and there are reasons that certain designs go a certain way.

How do you know what the price of the DT carbine will be? The Masada was supposed to be a completely modular and ambi gun for around $1000. look how that turned out.

Last edited:
You made some excellent points that I cannot argue. I don't plan to buy one' since I like dedicated bolt guns, which are more applicable to shooting 500 to 1500 yards or more. These are for civilians and will be used very little, since many only collect safe queens.

My favorite AR is my HK 556 A1 with ACOG, which I've put about 5000 rounds through in 2 years. I also have 2 FNP 45Ts, which are favorite and accurate handguns. All have been extremely dependable. Same for my Kriss Super V SBR.

I unfortunately have never served my Country like many others here on the Hide. My draft # was 308 and when I completed we knew all doctors were going to the service, but the Vietnam War end before we graduated in 1974.

I've learned a lot of valuable information here on the Hide from members like you who have real life experience, like yourself. Thanks for your service and your patience to detail your response so well. Be safe and good luck!

I have 3000 rounds through mine SUPPRESSED with NO cleaning to speak of.
That's where this gun shines. It's goes bang every time, requires no lube, and is a very clean running gun.
Very accurate. I use mine for a home defense gun. YOu can sling it and still do other tasks, like run your pistol much better than an AR IMO.
YOU have to practice the RIGHT mag change procedure to get comfortable with it. If your not willing to put the time in to practicing stick with the AR.
I'm 3000+ rounds in and still not 100% efficient in mag changes in the dark

I'm in agreement with 100% of Cobra's arguments here. I own 2 Tavors and wouldn't think of changing the trigger nor selling either of them.

I bought the Tavor for the bullpup short OAL, battle rifle it is. I didn't buy one to replace the AR15.

Well as cool as it looks....The trigger stinks and I it cant touch my Keltec RFB as a go to Bullpup. My Steyr is better by far. But I will give it 3rd place though. Wait to see if the prices come down.

IMHO

I love mine.I have some high dollar AR's but the Tavor is balanced better with a suppressor.I will never sell mine and I might get another!

I really like my Tavor, it shoots as well as a garden variety AR, the trigger is tough, but I like to think of myself as a tough guy. Here is a crappy video of mine at 300 yards on a windy day. IWI Tavor at 300 - YouTube The target is a 24" pipe cap, you can hear the occasional ring, the downrange angle shows the impacts as a puff of smoke/dust. The optic is a Vortex Razor 1 to 6 Gen 2, I tried it with a HiLux CMR, but I am too old to find the dot reticle, so I upgraded to the Razor in a Bobro mount. It's a nice combo for me, as for LOP, I am over 6' and 225lbs, it works fine for me, I doubt that at 60 years old, I'll ever need body armor, but who knows. Round count is at about 1500 and I haven't cleaned it yet,(don't tell my dad!)